Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

CX-5: "Sunken" rear bumper reflector

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2023, 09:58 PM
Default CX-5: "Sunken" rear bumper reflector

Hi all,
I've a 2020 Mazda CX-5 Sport with the dreaded "punched in" rear bumper reflector. I've read that this is extremely common as there's a plastic bracket inside the space that promptly detaches with minimum effort/force; Mazda has a service bulletin about this. Since my car is JUST out of warranty. Is there any chance the dealer would do a good will repair, since it's a known issue? Alternatively, have you guys done a DIY repair yourself? Any tips would be appreciated!
This is the Mazda SB:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...o2sJXFtcIihaGc

Old 05-25-2023, 08:30 AM

That looks like a good DIY project. You even have an access port to get to the area. Just need to get the 3M adhesive, which I would guess is readily available online.

Old 05-25-2023, 10:42 AM

You could try to say the issue happened right before the warranty expired, and see if they'll be nice enough to oblige and fix the issue. Presenting the TSB usually makes them do it. If not, than I'd press them and make them budge.

Old 05-25-2023, 12:55 PM

Or if it's an enclosed area, just get a screwdriver, duct tape and sprayfoam.

Slap some duct tape on it and then pull on the tape while wedging a screwdriver in to pull the reflector out. Then use the spray-foam with hose to get some foam in there and let it dry...it won't fall back in again if you foam it.

Old 06-12-2023, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Alexmed2002
You could try to say the issue happened right before the warranty expired, and see if they'll be nice enough to oblige and fix the issue. Presenting the TSB usually makes them do it. If not, than I'd press them and make them budge.
Actually it turned out I had a few months left on the warranty. When I brought it up,the mouth breathing moron "Service advisor" wouldn't even let me finish, insisting he'd never heard of such a TSB and that sounded like a bumper replacement. I had to bring it up in my phone for him to "verify". Then "they had to order the part because they don't have it in stock" ..(The "part" is just a 3M adhesive product available everywhere) Is it me or has the level of service and competence in most dealerships plummeted since Covid first hit us?

Old 06-12-2023, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by kilroy22
Or if it's an enclosed area, just get a screwdriver, duct tape and sprayfoam.

Slap some duct tape on it and then pull on the tape while wedging a screwdriver in to pull the reflector out. Then use the spray-foam with hose to get some foam in there and let it dry...it won't fall back in again if you foam it.
Seems the local MAzda dealer is going to repair under warranty as per the TSB. In the meantime I took out the service panel in the wheel well and inserted a piece of styrofoam that holds the reflector in place. Actually works really well.

Old 06-12-2023, 11:51 PM

there was a video on a repair posted on here a few weeks ago. There's access from the 'forward' side/rear of the rear wheel.

Old 09-03-2024, 11:05 AM

I have to do the same repair, on my 2020. Can reflector be reached by just removing access door? What is the best way to remove access door? I see the two round plugs - are they screws, or just Push In plugs? Thank you.