Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

CX-5 terrible in snow

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 06:18 PM

2016 Mazda CX-3 and CX-5 AWD review | snow test | CarsGuide

The event included several tracks aimed at showcasing the i-ACTIV's efficiency in the company of rivals, including Subaru Forester and Honda CR-V.

The i-ACTIV system proved itself in extremely challenging conditions to generally be a smoother, more effective and efficient system than the others. It always felt stable, surefooted and safe; a vehicle you'd entrust the lives of you and your family to if driving conditions took a turn for the worse. If i-ACTIV can handle with aplomb atrocious snow and ice conditions in Colorado during a bonafide winter storm, a driver can be confident in the system's capabilities on wet roads in Australia, or slippery mud, or loosely-gravelled bush tracks. They may not have dominated as thoroughly as the event organisers would have liked, but the Mazdas were still the best AWDs on display.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:52 PM

It's the tires. I have winter tires that I swap on for the winter. AWD is useless without the proper tires. Just remember AWD will get you going in bad weather and maintain your momentum, BUT NOT STOP ANY QUICKER or keep you from spinning out driving too fast in a curve even with good snow tires.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:17 PM
Default Snow tires ??

Originally Posted by NewboldMaz
Well, after driving a few times in snow and on slippery roads, I have come to the conclusion the AWD CX-5 is terrible. The vehicle loses traction and wants break loose and lose control very easily. My sons Honda Civic FWD handles the same conditions much better.

So, I am hoping the issue is Mazda put lousy tires on these vehicles to keep the price down. Even if that is the case, shame on Mazda for putting such junk on vehicles that are driven in winter climates. It is also amazing to me that stability control ins't a standard feature on these vehicles. I had it on my Toyota Tundra, and even in 2WD with an empty bed, it was almost impossible to get the truck to lose traction.

Anyone else have the same experience with the CX-5?
There is a reason why people buy snow tires. My CX-5 with 4 snows will beat anyone from a red light in snow. It just digs in and goes !! Spend the money ...

Old 02-09-2016, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by TesVaa
There is a reason why people buy snow tires. My CX-5 with 4 snows will beat anyone from a red light in snow. It just digs in and goes !! Spend the money ...
Summer tires are exactly that..summer. Anyone who lives in the snow belt and does not use snow tires is looking for trouble. Braking and control are not there anymore. Buy 4 snows for the CX-5. Amazing difference !!

Old 02-09-2016, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by WNicolay
It's the tires. I have winter tires that I swap on for the winter. AWD is useless without the proper tires. Just remember AWD will get you going in bad weather and maintain your momentum, BUT NOT STOP ANY QUICKER or keep you from spinning out driving too fast in a curve even with good snow tires.
Four good condition snow tires will stop you much quicker in winter. Also you have to drive slower and more cautious in winter. Any car /suv going too fast will end up in the ditch regardless of what tire are mounted

Old 02-10-2016, 08:25 AM

Video Test of CX-5 Subaru Forester and Honda CR-V

Old 02-13-2016, 11:00 AM

Any new snow tires will cure that problem. Mine came with the Toyo all-season tires and work pretty good IMO.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:22 AM

My cx5 is awesome in the snow. Use stud less tires and this car just goes. I don't even know if it slips. Never had a problem.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:03 PM

My cx5 gets around better than my 01 outback in the snow

Old 02-16-2016, 09:04 AM
Default tires make all the difference

With the original tires my 2105 cx-5 wasn't even great in the rain. I just got the continental true contacts and it's amazing in the snow. Drove home from VT in the 1/23/16 NE Snow Storm no problems

Quick Reply: CX-5 terrible in snow