Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

CX-5 terrible in snow

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 02:40 PM

Here are a few comments:
  • The first snow of the year is often very treacherous, especially if it hasn't rained hard in a while or if the road is newly asphalted; the snow effectively sits on top of a layer of oil and limits traction, even with winter tires.
  • AWD does not help in the slightest when it comes to braking, in fact, given two otherwise identical vehicles, one 2WD and one AWD, the 2WD vehicle will stop shorter if for no other reason than it is lighter.
  • In the snow and other slippery conditions, AWD can be both a blessing and a curse when it comes to turning; in some scenarios it may be a tad easier to navigate a curve/turn, on others the lighter vehicle will handle better.
  • When slipping around in the snow, tires are virtually always the first thing to look at.
  • You had summer rubber on your Versa???

Old 11-11-2019, 03:10 PM
Default It is all in the tires!

Winter tires... that's the answer. It is not about the car, how good or bad it is... cold ambient temperatures, asphalt temperature, snow on the ground... ice maybe?!?!... what keeps the car in touch with the asphalt? The tires... the electronic nannies (DSC, TC, ABS, etc) can do so much... until laws of physics take over. I've had our AWD CX-5 with winters with zero problems and have drove other cars with all seasons in different cities and with cold temperatures, and sliding all over the place. Even our other non-Mazda car, we got a surprise snow fall last year and I couldn't even get into our garage because the tires were spinning out of control on our driveway... but as soon as the winters were on... zero problems (and it's a FWD).

Old 11-11-2019, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Lars gon rinpoche
Brand new CX3 Grand Touring edition ( all the extras) and the first snowfall this morning had me freaking out about how crap it drives!
Not even a major storm. Less than an inch

Less than half an inch even...and I'm skidding every turn unless slowing down to 2 mph.

Almost rear ended a few cars too while driving maybe 25 mph city streets and coming to lights.

Wow. I thought AWD ON DEMAND MEANS IT KICKS IN AUTOMATICALLY?

NEW YOKOHAMA TIRES (all season mind you, however my previous Nissan Versa drove in snow better with 3 year old SUMMER TIRES . I'm not even kidding .

I immediately looked online to check if I'm supposed to CLICK SOME BUTTON or something.

Anyone...?

The only way I'm not hitting **** is I have paddle shifting , manual option. So I'm using my gears to help slow the car and stay grippy around corners.

Weird. Tell me I'm dumb and doing something wrong and ill GLADLY AGREE AND WRITE
:IM SORRY IM DUMB AND BLAMED MY CX3" on the chalk board 100 times after classes!
I'll accept punishing online comments about how I jumped the gun and was mean to my car in public.

JUST TELL ME WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON and why my 1 year old nice AWD car cant handle snow? Btw ..yes I'm a chick...but YES I CAN DRIVE WELL. I've raced motorbikes, taken track courses...and am not meek and feeble-weeble.

Anyone.....?

Bueller.....?

Anyone.................??
Watch this non-vehicle-specific video about winter vs all-season tires:

Old 11-12-2019, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Lars gon rinpoche
Brand new CX3 Grand Touring edition ( all the extras) and the first snowfall this morning had me freaking out about how crap it drives!
Not even a major storm. Less than an inch

Less than half an inch even...and I'm skidding every turn unless slowing down to 2 mph.

Almost rear ended a few cars too while driving maybe 25 mph city streets and coming to lights.

Wow. I thought AWD ON DEMAND MEANS IT KICKS IN AUTOMATICALLY?

NEW YOKOHAMA TIRES (all season mind you, however my previous Nissan Versa drove in snow better with 3 year old SUMMER TIRES . I'm not even kidding .

I immediately looked online to check if I'm supposed to CLICK SOME BUTTON or something.

Anyone...?

The only way I'm not hitting **** is I have paddle shifting , manual option. So I'm using my gears to help slow the car and stay grippy around corners.

Weird. Tell me I'm dumb and doing something wrong and ill GLADLY AGREE AND WRITE
:IM SORRY IM DUMB AND BLAMED MY CX3" on the chalk board 100 times after classes!
I'll accept punishing online comments about how I jumped the gun and was mean to my car in public.

JUST TELL ME WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON and why my 1 year old nice AWD car cant handle snow? Btw ..yes I'm a chick...but YES I CAN DRIVE WELL. I've raced motorbikes, taken track courses...and am not meek and feeble-weeble.

Anyone.....?

Bueller.....?

Anyone.................??
If you are skidding and almost rear ending cars, that has nothing to do with AWD but rather evidence that the brakes are locking the wheels causing you to skid.

Old 11-12-2019, 10:19 AM

I agree with the comments about the fact that AWD does not help to stop a vehicle and the benefits of winter tires.

I will add that the first snow of the year as well as most snow in warmer climates are more difficult to drive in for a few reasons. Snow, when it is very cold provides more traction than when it has partially melted and even worse when it melts and refreezes. Drivers in the beginning of the season and in warmer climates are also far less prepared for winter driving than when it is a regular part of life.

I am surprised by the fairly regular recommendation to buy cheep steel wheels. I have winter tires on my car for about 1/4 of the year. I could not imagine driving on ugly steel wheels. I went with a set of slightly more expensive wheels from TireRack that, other than the fact that they are 16" and not the stock 18", and the style is different than stock, they look like they belong on the car. I doubt the extra cost for all four when I purchased them 4 years ago was more than $100 over steel.

Old 11-12-2019, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by mazdaCPA
I agree with the comments about the fact that AWD does not help to stop a vehicle and the benefits of winter tires.

I will add that the first snow of the year as well as most snow in warmer climates are more difficult to drive in for a few reasons. Snow, when it is very cold provides more traction than when it has partially melted and even worse when it melts and refreezes. Drivers in the beginning of the season and in warmer climates are also far less prepared for winter driving than when it is a regular part of life.

I am surprised by the fairly regular recommendation to buy cheep steel wheels. I have winter tires on my car for about 1/4 of the year. I could not imagine driving on ugly steel wheels. I went with a set of slightly more expensive wheels from TireRack that, other than the fact that they are 16" and not the stock 18", and the style is different than stock, they look like they belong on the car. I doubt the extra cost for all four when I purchased them 4 years ago was more than $100 over steel.
* For this application, the experts beg to differ...https://www.blackburnwheels.com/allo...os-cons-guide/

Old 11-12-2019, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by 3carmonte
* For this application, the experts beg to differ...https://www.blackburnwheels.com/allo...os-cons-guide/

Thanks for the link. I see the point that steel wheels are better suited for the task. I would rather take on the limited extra risk of corrosion and the slightly higher price in exchange for the look of a slightly higher quality wheel. I suspect there is more risk of pothole damage with the summer tires on the 18" wheels yet no one recommends replacing those wheels with basic steel.

Old 11-12-2019, 03:58 PM

Agreed, steel wheels for winter use has a few pros (they're cheap, more impact resistant, and who the hell cares if they rust), but lots of cons in my opinion (they're fugly, heavy, and they don't fit on LOTS of cars, mine included). I would never have those suckers on any car I drive.

Old 11-12-2019, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
Agreed, steel wheels for winter use has a few pros (they're cheap, more impact resistant, and who the hell cares if they rust), but lots of cons in my opinion (they're fugly, heavy, and they don't fit on LOTS of cars, mine included). I would never have those suckers on any car I drive.
Wheel covers? Worked in the old days.

Old 11-12-2019, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by 3carmonte
Wheel covers? Worked in the old days.
Still fugly.

Quick Reply: CX-5 terrible in snow