Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

CX-5 terrible in snow

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 07:23 PM

1968 Dodge Charger from Bullitt
Yeah. Fugly.

Old 11-12-2019, 08:41 PM

Yup, definitely fugly wheels. I had these on my 1970 Challenger, far better looking than hub caps, but I still couldn't wait to get some real wheels on my car.

Old 03-04-2020, 08:11 PM

Just bought a 2020 CX5 Grand Touring and it handles amazingly in the snow.

Old 03-05-2020, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by AtlasShrugged
Just bought a 2020 CX5 Grand Touring and it handles amazingly in the snow.
Yeah, apparently the 2017+ model year CX-5 are indeed pretty good in snow. Congrats on your new ride!

Old 03-21-2020, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by montanaman
Thanks for the information. I had a feeling that was the set up. I have not yet had the CX-5 in the snow. The Forester I rented was very good with stock tires. Ironically the average MPG was the same as my CX-5. In mixed driving the average after a week was 24.5 mpg.

I feel the Subaru's are probably inherently better in the snow which is why in Montana every other vehicle is a Subaru. That said the CX-5 is better in every other way in my opinion
Not to mention if the Subaru has a CVT automatic and Mazda's 6 speed automatic .. you can't even come close with the Subaru, since you can start the Mazda out in second gear and gain even more traction!!

Old 12-28-2020, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by NewboldMaz
Well, after driving a few times in snow and on slippery roads, I have come to the conclusion the AWD CX-5 is terrible. The vehicle loses traction and wants break loose and lose control very easily. My sons Honda Civic FWD handles the same conditions much better.

So, I am hoping the issue is Mazda put lousy tires on these vehicles to keep the price down. Even if that is the case, shame on Mazda for putting such junk on vehicles that are driven in winter climates. It is also amazing to me that stability control ins't a standard feature on these vehicles. I had it on my Toyota Tundra, and even in 2WD with an empty bed, it was almost impossible to get the truck to lose traction.

Anyone else have the same experience with the CX-5?
The tires that come with the CX 5 are not winter rated. You will get terrible traction with any vehicle using all season tires in winter conditions. I run Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 in the winter months. Change your tires to these bad boys during the winter season and you can climb a ski slope.

Last edited by pcumby; 12-29-2020 at 10:41 PM.
Old 12-29-2020, 07:54 AM
Default Something isn't right

Originally Posted by NewboldMaz
Not quite finished with winter in northern Wisconsin, and my opinion of the CX-5 hasn't changed. This car has to be one of the worst vehicles I have driven during the winter, and that goes back to rear wheel drive cars. At speeds over 20 mph, the CX-5 is highly unpredictable, and downright unacceptable in it's inability to hold the road on gentle curves. In my original post that started this thread, I wondered if my CX-5 Touring had the DSC (electronic stability control) system. I have since been told that all models have the system installed. Well, then my doesn't work at all. Since it cannot be overridden, it must not be working, period. My 07 Tundra had Toyota's technology of stability control, and in two-wheel drive, it was darn near impossible to intentionally cause the truck to lose control. You could also always tell when the system was working by the feel of the truck and strange sounding noises coming from the engine area, and if it ever did lose grip, an audible warning emitted from the dash.

Like a dumby, I am finally taking it in to the local dealer (65 miles away) to diagnose the problem.

Any other experiences would be appreciated.
Sorry to hear you've had such a bad experience. My cx-5 is outstanding in the snow and ice. I use a set of dedicated snow tires when the heavy stuff blows in so I can get to work no matter what the weather. I've logged thousands of miles in the snow across montana, idaho, colorado and wyoming driving FWD cars. No white knuckles with the CX-5. On several occasions, I've seen FWD cars in my rear view mirror trying to keep up, only to loose it and disappear in a cloud of snow as they slide off the road. I digress . . . Sounds to me like something's not right with your ride.

Old 12-29-2020, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by tire tread
Sorry to hear you've had such a bad experience. My cx-5 is outstanding in the snow and ice. I use a set of dedicated snow tires when the heavy stuff blows in so I can get to work no matter what the weather. I've logged thousands of miles in the snow across montana, idaho, colorado and wyoming driving FWD cars. No white knuckles with the CX-5. On several occasions, I've seen FWD cars in my rear view mirror trying to keep up, only to loose it and disappear in a cloud of snow as they slide off the road. I digress . . . Sounds to me like something's not right with your ride.
Well, I guess we will never know, but the OP never did answer the question - what tires he had on.Where they properly inflated? Where they balanced? ETC. It also could be that the AWD system in those model years was not the best - or not as good as what's on the newer models. Though it's hard to imagine that even back then, the AWD was that poor in snow. I'm still betting it was the tires.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - tires are literally where the rubber meets the road and are the single most important feature in terms of handling/safety. Of course that assumes all systems are in good order and the driver is attentive and cautious.
What snows are you using? I was using Blizzaks in my last few cars, but if I were to get new snow tires,I would consider something better suited for the NE/NJ winters where we don't get tons of snow.

Old 12-29-2020, 08:49 AM
Default Tires on my cx5

Originally Posted by bobm
Well, I guess we will never know, but the OP never did answer the question - what tires he had on.Where they properly inflated? Where they balanced? ETC. It also could be that the AWD system in those model years was not the best - or not as good as what's on the newer models. Though it's hard to imagine that even back then, the AWD was that poor in snow. I'm still betting it was the tires.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - tires are literally where the rubber meets the road and are the single most important feature in terms of handling/safety. Of course that assumes all systems are in good order and the driver is attentive and cautious.
What snows are you using? I was using Blizzaks in my last few cars, but if I were to get new snow tires,I would consider something better suited for the NE/NJ winters where we don't get tons of snow.
My cx5 is a 2014 with 160k+. I replace my all-season tires every 2 years in December. I buy whatever is on sale. My only concerns are having adequate tread so I don't hydroplane and if I get caught in snow unexpectedly. As I sit here at work, I don't remember who makes my dedicated snows. Nothing special, but snow and ice only, soft rubber, no studs.

Old 12-29-2020, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by tire tread
My cx5 is a 2014 with 160k+. I replace my all-season tires every 2 years in December. I buy whatever is on sale. My only concerns are having adequate tread so I don't hydroplane and if I get caught in snow unexpectedly. As I sit here at work, I don't remember who makes my dedicated snows. Nothing special, but snow and ice only, soft rubber, no studs.
On a different note, I'm glad to see that it's still running with that type of mileage. It bodes well for us!

Quick Reply: CX-5 terrible in snow