Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

CX-5 terrible in snow

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2021, 01:41 PM

Where did you get those center caps, I've been looking for weeks and gone to about 50 stores, everything online is impossible to figure out if they'll fit or not. The ones in your picture are exactly what I'm looking for....... please help!!

Old 01-18-2021, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by bobm
Well, I guess we will never know, but the OP never did answer the question - what tires he had on.Where they properly inflated? Where they balanced? ETC.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - tires are literally where the rubber meets the road and are the single most important feature in terms of handling/safety.
^ This.

Have driven a variety of AWD vehicles over the years, and owned a few. I won't rank the CX-5's AWD system up with the Subarus or Audis, IMO, but it's still fairly good. Still, as with any vehicle that has AWD, the tires still mean everything.

Typically, I've done the Nokian Hakka or Nordman line, or the Dunop SP Winter Sport, or similar. A "proper," dedicated snow+ice tire. (Have driven with Blizzaks as well, but prefer these.)

In my experience, a stellar snow+ice tire can double or triple the amount of grip over an otherwise average "snow" tire. Same car, same AWD, same driving characteristics, same cautious defensive-driving style on the part of the driver ... but stellar versus average tires. Not inexpensive. But, all the difference in the world.

Assuming, as you say, that was the OP's actual issue.

Old 01-22-2021, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by GAsierra
^ This.

Have driven a variety of AWD vehicles over the years, and owned a few. I won't rank the CX-5's AWD system up with the Subarus or Audis, IMO, but it's still fairly good. Still, as with any vehicle that has AWD, the tires still mean everything.

Typically, I've done the Nokian Hakka or Nordman line, or the Dunop SP Winter Sport, or similar. A "proper," dedicated snow+ice tire. (Have driven with Blizzaks as well, but prefer these.)

In my experience, a stellar snow+ice tire can double or triple the amount of grip over an otherwise average "snow" tire. Same car, same AWD, same driving characteristics, same cautious defensive-driving style on the part of the driver ... but stellar versus average tires. Not inexpensive. But, all the difference in the world.

Assuming, as you say, that was the OP's actual issue.
Well said. I think that the type of snow tires are best dictated by what type of winter weather/snow you would more typically encounter. If you live in an area that you would not be seeing heavy/deep snows and infrequents snows, than a more "sporty" type of winter tire works better. If you are going to encounter frequent and or deep snows than the Blizzaks or Noki's would be my preference.

Old 01-23-2021, 01:58 PM

Well said. I think that the type of snow tires are best dictated by what type of winter weather/snow you would more typically encounter. If you live in an area that you would not be seeing heavy/deep snows and infrequents snows, than a more "sporty" type of winter tire works better. If you are going to encounter frequent and or deep snows than the Blizzaks or Noki's would be my preference.
I'm in an area like you, with relatively infrequent snow, even rarer heavy-ice conditions. Happens, but it's only a dozen or so days a year for the deeper stuff. Still, it can be ugly dangerous, on such days, without the right tire.

The tires that came with my "new" 2016 CX-5 are almost new. But they're the Continental TrueContact. While a decent touring "all" season, and while they seem to perform okay (with AWD) if driving gingerly, I wouldn't want to have to rely on them, if the winter crud got bad.

The Nokian WR G4 looks about right, so far as I can figure from considering several dozen different candidate tires. Not quite a winter snow+ice tire, but decent enough handling in modest amounts of snow and ice. Definitely more grip than the typical "all-season" tire, in very cold conditions. Considering the Conti VikingContact7 107T, the Pirelli Scorpion Winter 107V, the Vredestein Wintrac Pro 107V, and the Nokian WR G4 107V, all in 255/50R19. All roughly similar tread patterns, but with a 60Kmi tread life warranty on the Noki's. Heavier in the 255's (over the 225's) of course. The way this winter's going so far, though, this might be an autumn 2021 purchase.

Conti VikingContact7:

Pirelli Scorpion Winter:

Vredestein Wintrac Pro:

Nokian WR G4 SUV:

Last edited by GAsierra; 01-24-2021 at 08:34 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-25-2021, 10:21 AM

Good choices. I have the Vredestein Quatrac Pro and using them year round as mentioned. Will you be doing the same or using them as a winter only tire?

Old 01-25-2021, 03:35 PM

... The Nokian WR G4 looks about right, so far as I can figure from considering several dozen different candidate tires. Not quite a winter snow+ice tire, but decent enough handling in modest amounts of snow and ice. Definitely more grip than the typical "all-season" tire, in very cold conditions. Considering the Conti VikingContact7 107T, the Pirelli Scorpion Winter 107V, the Vredestein Wintrac Pro 107V, and the Nokian WR G4 107V, all in 255/50R19. All roughly similar tread patterns, but with a 60Kmi tread life warranty on the Noki's.
Good choices. I have the Vredestein Quatrac Pro and using them year round as mentioned. Will you be doing the same or using them as a winter only tire?
Decided, today, on the Nokian WR G4 SUV (105V XL 600AA, in 235/55R19, 60Kmi warr, 3-peak mountain [severe winter] qualified). Intended as a year-'round set.

It's a step down in outright winter grip as compared to the Hakka R3's or Nordman 7's, but with a cold-weather compound, and tread with many more sipes/blocks suitable for winter. Given the relatively light amounts of wintry stuff I see in a typical year, about the worst I have to contend with is the frigid cold.

Thought about the Hakkapeliittas. It's a slam-dunk choice, IMO, for a non-studded winter tire. But just couldn't justify them given how little snow and ice generally occurs around my area. Not for a tire that'd be toast in two seasons of year-'round use, like as not.

We'll see. These will be my first set of the WR G4's, though my third (?) set of Nokians (prior-gen Hakkas). It'll be nice to not have to fumble around with storage and swapping of two sets.

Last edited by GAsierra; 01-25-2021 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-25-2021, 03:50 PM

Decided, today, on the Nokian WR G4 SUV (105V XL 600AA, in 235/55R19, 60Kmi warr, 3-peak mountain [severe winter] qualified). Intended as a year-'round set.

It's a step down in outright winter grip as compared to the Hakka R3's or Nordman 7's, but with a cold-weather compound, and tread with many more sipes/blocks suitable for winter. Given the relatively light amounts of wintry stuff I see in a typical year, about the worst I have to contend with is the frigid cold.

Thought about the Hakkapeliittas. It's a slam-dunk choice, IMO, for a non-studded winter tire. But just couldn't justify them given how little snow and ice generally occurs around my area. Not for a tire that'd be toast in two seasons of year-'round use, like as not.

We'll see. These will be my first set of the WR G4's, though my third (?) set of Nokians (prior-gen Hakkas). It'll be nice to not have to fumble around with storage and swapping of two sets.

CX-5 terrible in snow-4v9zns.jpg
Sounds good to me. Very interesting trad pattern! What part of the country are you in? I know the midwest is getting hit with snow now, here in NE/NJ, we may see a 1/2" tomorrow (still a loooooooooooong way from being out of the woods, storm wise). Keep us posted as to how they are performing for you.

Old 01-25-2021, 04:05 PM

Sounds good to me. Very interesting trad pattern! What part of the country are you in? I know the midwest is getting hit with snow now, here in NE/NJ, we may see a 1/2" tomorrow (still a loooooooooooong way from being out of the woods, storm wise). Keep us posted as to how they are performing for you.
Midwest, but out of the nastier, heavier-weather portions (thankfully). In the past ten years I can only recall 1ft of snow on the ground on two occasions. Usually, an inch or two tops, but then half or all of it's gone within a day or two. Not all that bad, considering what some folks have to contend with.

Just checked the weather for the Midwest and, yes, Omaha and the region near them are getting nailed right now. Better part of a foot today, with as much possible for tonight as well. Glad they're getting it and not me.

It's raining quite a bit right now, and the temps are supposed to drop into the 20s. So, ice is definitely a possibility the next several days. (On the Conti A/S tires right now, too. Ugh.)

If I get enough "winter" play out of them this season, I'll definitely do a write-up. Else, it'll likely wait until after next winter is partially through.

Old 01-25-2021, 09:56 PM

Midwest, but out of the nastier, heavier-weather portions (thankfully). In the past ten years I can only recall 1ft of snow on the ground on two occasions. Usually, an inch or two tops, but then half or all of it's gone within a day or two. Not all that bad, considering what some folks have to contend with.
It's changed a lot over the years. My wife and I got married on Christmas Day in 1969 and had 15" of snow on the ground in Cincinnati.

Old 01-26-2021, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by schmieg
It's changed a lot over the years. My wife and I got married on Christmas Day in 1969 and had 15" of snow on the ground in Cincinnati.
Indeed it has. Growing up decades ago, out in the Western U.S. states I recall a definite "rainy" season and we could generally count on a half-dozen or more serious rain storms during the season (plus assorted days with light rain). With suitably heavy snows in the mountains. In the past couple of decades, drought has become typical and "fire" season has replaced "rainy" season as the one absolute.

All I can say is: Boy, am I glad to be back in an AWD vehicle again.

Last edited by GAsierra; 01-26-2021 at 04:00 PM. Reason: added 'missing' text

Quick Reply: CX-5 terrible in snow