Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

CX-5 Transmission whine due to Trans bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2023, 09:14 PM
Old 11-18-2023, 10:35 AM

LOL I had a lengthy response but deleted it...

All I can say is similarities but not the same thing...

Old 11-18-2023, 01:23 PM

Well, the transmission is still the same, correct? Doesn't hurt to post info which may be helpful to others. Gives them a place to start at the dealer.

Old 11-18-2023, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
Well, the transmission is still the same, correct? Doesn't hurt to post info which may be helpful to others. Gives them a place to start at the dealer.
Not sure if that really gives them any place to start. More or less what I posted would be a better starting to point. The http you posted maybe to start a dialog between MAZDA and what a owner thinks is wrong from internet information on forums which may not get them very far?
Very few I mean few dealers would tear down a transmission. The warranty is actually to completely replace it. Which makes more logical sense because the labor involved as well not a simple mechanic can tear one apart and re assemble it. let alone have all the necessary specialized tools? All mine for manual and automatic transmission tools alone and couldn't do (well I could actually I would just borrow the tools I didn't have. LOL) with my invested maybe about $5K and even a Mazda certified mechanic would unluckily do that either. At best they may sub it out to another dealership that has a service employee with experience.
I don't even do transmission here and we contract that out to my friend Transmission service shop that specializes in transmission repairs and rebuilds.
That thread required that the transmission be disassembled down find the problem if you read and understood it?

Last edited by Callisto; 11-18-2023 at 02:16 PM.
Old 11-18-2023, 04:11 PM

I understood. This is why I posted it. I also know Mazda doesn't really do transmission rebuilds, but you are the guy who asks for detailed analysis from dealers as proof of what folks post. This actually shows what the root cause of the whining is. The remedy? Probably a new tranny.

Old 11-18-2023, 04:24 PM

I understood. This is why I posted it. I also know Mazda doesn't really do transmission rebuilds, but you are the guy who asks for detailed analysis from dealers as proof of what folk's post. This actually shows what the root cause of the whining is. The remedy? Probably a new tranny.
I know that thread I know the guy (he is very competent mechanic with transmissions) it is not the root cause effecting numbers at this date to consider a remanufacturing problem from Mazda and nothing is confirmed until a transmission is disassembled.

Sometimes too much information is information overload and leads to an owner filled with a resolution in their mind that does not always in the practical sense pans out or ends up being the problem.

As always, your skills at finding forum information are very good!

Last edited by Callisto; 11-18-2023 at 04:50 PM.
Old 11-19-2023, 09:06 AM

I am confused Cali. You know the person who posted what I linked from the other forum, and he is a competent mechanic, but you don't agree with what he is saying? Or are you saying he is overstating? Of course, I agree something else could be causing the whine, but this is ONE possible cause.

Old 11-19-2023, 09:32 AM

I am confused Cali. You know the mechanic who posted what brought from the other forum and he is good, but you don't agree with what he is saying? Or are you saying he is overstating? Of course, I agree something else could be causing the whine, but this is ONE possible cause.
This thread is tiresome.... What I said was he took perhaps at least 1 transmission disassembled it and found what is a good conclusion of that "SINGLE" transmission problem. If you rad further in no words did, he says it effected more than that one or that it could or may be an ongoing problem. I have delt with enough transmission issues over the years and seldom did I find more than power supporting challenges to rectify with any transmission. Not saying that that single problem is isolated only that there is not enough evidence nowhere to support more of the same problem.
The other and I hope you agree that dealers will under the recommendation of the auto manufacture almost always for decades replace the complete transmission and to document destroy the engine and transmission removed for replacement. Mainly because they don't want to be bothered with dissecting a random and small claimed event. And show documentations of such. So, for decades some issues are never found as the cause and fast forward to present with internet we have some that will theorize as to the cause. So, like that single thread only on that forum and only from that member who found what he felt was the problem and a possible repair for it does not constitute anything more than that!
We have a guild in Northern Calf that the members are over 500 mechanics and automotive technician's, we share both services advise, both dealership and private shops and we often pose question like brought up in this thread and forum, So many times my information is from that geld and what the answers are. So, at times when I post something it was from first posing the question to the group and what they know and also what they have for verified information from the auto manufacture that unlike TSB is not publicly available.
What that other informational you posted did not suggest is an oil analysis. Mainly because some even good mechanics and auto Technicians don't believe in what the results show. Thats IMHO is because it is not yet on a test or study guide when they trained to become an Automotive technician. So to them in a sense Whitchcraftery! lol
Chick you of all people know it is a numbers game and the numbers of most these issues some MAZDA owners have are to small to consider it anything but normal. And most of those members posting issues if they alerted the dealership and MADZA while still in the warranty period generally get it resolved. And as I have posted before the SAD thing is less then 1/2 report back and post after their problem WAS resolved and taken care of.
The other thing which you and a couple other member dislike when I ask a member that reports a problem to post their service order up. I NEVER asked for their personally information only want to read the notes. Yet the get all insulted as if I was calling them out on their information? lol Myself and grim and others that are in the auto service employment can read a little better ,shall I say more qualified eye.

Old 11-20-2023, 09:02 AM

Thanks for the replies. I am HAPPY that the AT is not a magic unicorn that nobody messes with. I will be contacting transmission places to see if any have any experience with these transmissions.

Any suggestions for the Maine area?

I am an pretty avid DIY, as I never have taken my car to a repair shop, and have maintained my vehicles well.

I have never had a major failure, except for my Dad's 60's era saab two cycle three cylinder engine that had a propensity to run backwards when starting it at times. I replaced the engine.

But, mucking in a ATF is above my pay grade.

Oh, as for symptoms, I will cut and paste the symptoms from the TSB. There is one difference. My noise starts at 15 MPH, not 10 MPH.

DESCRIPTION
Some customers may complain of a whining noise from the automatic transaxle when driving at 10 mph and above. The noise:

. Depends on the vehicle’s speed only (the more speed, the more noise)
. Occurs with all types of driving (acceleration, deceleration, steady speed)
. Does not depend on rpm, gear, or ATF temperature

This is caused by a damaged bearing in the transaxle due to improper configuration of the transaxle case. A modification has now been implemented on automatic transaxles with the following serial numbers:

Old 11-20-2023, 10:22 AM

Ok so I understand the DIY and the fear factor or more so not understanding automatic transmission dating back to my first time with them in the 70"S. All my friends said the same thing they didn't want to take them apart or attempt to fix something that went wrong. Me I have to take everything apart and see how it works. LOL
As for your posting the partial TSB thank you for giving yet another reason why they are not for general public use! But some felt that copy right law doesn't apply if someone feels the public should know everything!
In a nutshell you just gave the reason it does not apply to you by your qualification of it and your transmission!

I do read that you are going to a specialized Transmission shop to have them look into your noise. I do hope that you report back to us their findings and solution to ratifying your transmission problem.
Sorry I don't know any in your state (or I should say my state as I was born in Bangor)

As for the other informational on the other forum that was posted there are key information that I was waiting for someone to read or pick up on and that is that the described cause was not according to the experienced member with transmission subject to any specific year and as he stated could happen to any transmission? If that true or not I tend to agree based on the cause which seems to indicate poor, or no servicing of the transmission mainly filter and pan fluid regular changes starting at 30k life of the transmission and every 30k after.

Originally Posted by LarryNH914
Thanks for the replies. I am HAPPY that the AT is not a magic unicorn that nobody messes with. I will be contacting transmission places to see if any have any experience with these transmissions.
Any suggestions for the Maine area?
I am an pretty avid DIY, as I never have taken my car to a repair shop, and have maintained my vehicles well.
I have never had a major failure, except for my Dad's 60's era saab two cycle three cylinder engine that had a propensity to run backwards when starting it at times. I replaced the engine.
But, mucking in a ATF is above my pay grade.
Oh, as for symptoms, I will cut and paste the symptoms from the TSB. There is one difference. My noise starts at 15 MPH, not 10 MPH.
DESCRIPTION
Some customers may complain of a whining noise from the automatic transaxle when driving at 10 mph and above. The noise:
. Depends on the vehicle’s speed only (the more speed, the more noise)
. Occurs with all types of driving (acceleration, deceleration, steady speed)
. Does not depend on rpm, gear, or ATF temperature
This is caused by a damaged bearing in the transaxle due to improper configuration of the transaxle case. A modification has now been implemented on automatic transaxles with the following serial numbers:

Last edited by Callisto; 11-20-2023 at 10:29 AM.

Quick Reply: CX-5 Transmission whine due to Trans bearing?