Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

CX5 Diesel engine issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2020, 02:36 AM
Super Moderator

How long ago was the engine replaced? Some of the issues may of been fixed, but not all.

Old 01-20-2020, 03:00 AM

It was replaced 4 months ago. Thanks

Old 01-20-2020, 04:01 AM
Super Moderator

These engines are subject to a upcoming recall, the current owner may or may not of received yet a letter from Mazda. The head gasket issue should of been fixed on the new engine, the oil & fuel issues should be fixed in the upcoming recall.

Diesel engines are no good as general round town runners. Only buy it if you regularly driving at speed for long periods.

Old 01-21-2020, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
As long as the vehicle has a strong service history, Mazda Australia will look after you.
it was due for service right on Xmas period was booked in on the Monday broke down on the Saturday was probably 1000 over by this stage, god I hope this is not an issue. I should have tried to book it somewhere else

Old 01-21-2020, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Kirsten Lamb
it was due for service right on Xmas period was booked in on the Monday broke down on the Saturday was probably 1000 over by this stage, god I hope this is not an issue. I should have tried to book it somewhere else
what are you thinking?

Old 01-23-2020, 01:43 AM

Thankyou everyone for your input on here it has been very helpful, thankfully Mazda are replacing my engine 👍

Old 01-23-2020, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Kirsten Lamb
Thankyou everyone for your input on here it has been very helpful, thankfully Mazda are replacing my engine 👍
Glad everything worked out for you.

Old 02-22-2020, 09:50 PM
Default CX5 new engine still has issues

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
As long as the vehicle has a strong service history, Mazda Australia will look after you.
I purchased a 2012 CX5 diesel second hand for my daughter. Soon after taking possession the engine would lose power etc, Mazda agreed to cover the cost of a new engine as it seemed related to the larger recall issues with these engines. 160000k on the clock.

Immediately after we got the car back with new engine it now stalls intermittently. Can drive it for days and hundreds of km's with no issues, then for no apparent reason and without warning the engine cuts out. This has occurred in quite dangerous situations. It has been back with Mazda for several weeks again, they checked all the work they did in replacing the engine and all seemed okay. They thought perhaps there was a poor earth connection somewhere which may be the cause.

One day while idling in their work shop the engine spluttered a little and they were able to get a fault code pointing towards the 'fuel pump'. They replaced a simple valve somewhere and believed that would be the cause of the spluttering. Mazda staff have test driven the car many times however it has not stalled on these occasions.

Mazda sent a tech case to Mazda with this fault code and a video I had captured of the car stalling constantly. Mazda's advice was a fuel pump is needed to be replaced. I assumed a fuel pump to be a few hundred dollars. Mazda told me $5700 for parts alone, that the fuel pump sits behind the engine head and Mazda will not cover cost.

I asked the Mazda Dealer what the techs at Mazda said about the issue with the engine stalling and was told they didn't really address that issue and their sole focus seemed to be this fault code and fuel pump. I feel it is not the fuel pump.

Previously when the car stalled for me over and over I came to a stop on the roadside, the engine stalled however I was not able to turn the accessories off. Pushing the start button would not turn the engine off. Eventually after many attempts I was able to turn the car off completely. Once this happened I was able to start it normally and drive away. This has been the recent history of it. If it stalls, you turn the ignition off completely and then you can generally start it again and drive normally.

To me that does not sound like a fuel pump issue, it sounds like an electrical / computer issue and I feel it is being overlooked. On the two occasions I have taken it to Mazda following a stalling episodes, no fault code has been diagnosed. I feel Mazda are missing the issue.

Can anyone give advice around this? Thankyou.

Old 02-23-2020, 12:59 AM
Super Moderator

Hard to add anything over the internet. Have had a chat with the service Manager?

If you're not happy, contact Mazda Australia direct, they are pretty good at addressing customer concerns/complaints.

Old 02-27-2020, 04:35 PM

Just pulled this absolute mess out of my 2012 Cx5

Quick Reply: CX5 Diesel engine issues