Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

CX5 Diesel engine issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

The SH 2.2 engine had a major redesign to address the concerns with Camshafts, head gaskets & injector seals.

Old 05-23-2020, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
The SH 2.2 engine had a major redesign to address the concerns with Camshafts, head gaskets & injector seals.
I did see a 2016.5 model from the Taiwanese CX-5 group having an engine replacement done, ran 110k kms if I recall.

Encouraging to hear that though. SH meaning the 2016.5? How did you come about the info of this redesign? Just out of curiosity.

Also, did the recent PCM and shutter valve recall have anything to do with preventing blown head gaskets and coolant? I received it late last year and noticed my DPF regens much more often, around 200km per cycle.

Last edited by goldcrow; 05-23-2020 at 08:41 AM.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

What was the reason for the engine being replaced in Taiwan?

SH is the ID or the 2.2 diesel Skyactiv engine launched globally by Mazda in 2012. Its still in production today, but a much modified/evolved package. I work for Mazda.

The current recall does nothing to address the compromised head gasket, however if there is signs of head gasket or cooling issues ( visually or DTC's ) action would be taken by Mazda.

Old 05-23-2020, 09:06 AM

Here's what I saw from the group. That unit looks like a 2016.5 model with the two-tone alloys and DRL-equipped headlights.

They are swapping motors there when the so-called coolant burst occurs. The translated "millions" I assume are meant to be thousands. Of course facebook translate is limited so if anyone can translate it more accurately, please do so.

Old 05-24-2020, 01:32 PM

SH is the ID or the 2.2 diesel Skyactiv engine launched globally by Mazda in 2012. Its still in production today, but a much modified/evolved package. I work for Mazda.

The current recall does nothing to address the compromised head gasket, however if there is signs of head gasket or cooling issues ( visually or DTC's ) action would be taken by Mazda.
Hi Grim Reaper,

I have the SH 2.2D (KE) engine in my 2016 CX-5 Akera. Without any warning, my vehicle is cranking, starting attempting to idle and then stalling and not starting again.

I have been towed to the local dealer three times in three weeks!

They replaced the fuel pump the first time which seemed to have solved the issue only to get stuck with the same problem again.

They cleaned the injectors which also seemed to clear the starting issues up briefly but now they are back and I'm stuck again without a vehicle.

The local Mazda dealership here in South Africa are battling to properly diagnose the problem and are waiting for the results of a fuel sample they sent in. I do not however believe it is the fuel as I didn't fuel up anywhere unusual in the lead up to this issue.

After reading through this thread and other news articles, I see there are recalls on these vehicles for issues related to carbon deposit build ups in the suction valve (? I think) which cause the vehicle to stall when starting and prevent a successful restart.

I see you work for Mazda! So any advice on how the local dealer and/or Mazda SA could deal with this would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-24-2020, 01:37 PM

Could the injector seals be the issue for my issue quoted above?

Old 05-25-2020, 05:46 AM
Super Moderator

Injector seals won't be your issue. They were leaking combustion gasses into the oil.

Old 05-31-2020, 07:03 PM

Hi Rebekah,

My understanding of the CGA is that it falls back on the dealer since it is an import. What you can do is use your chassis number to check recalls against your car in Japan. https://www2.mazda.co.jp/service/rec...187.1588796857. Mine had the vacuum pump recall issued on 13th April 2018. If the recall was issued before your car was imported, then it is the importers responsibility to implement recalls before importing the car.

Old 05-31-2020, 07:17 PM

Here is a link to the recall notice issued in Taiwan. https://www.mazda6club.com/threads/i.../#post-5026588

For the recall, the major point is for the some SKYACTIV 2.2D engine, if vehicle keep on low RPM and high loading of diesel engine to running (for example: vehicle running in the uphill of road and vehicle gearbox keep high gear) then high pressure combustion gas may thru cylinder gasket leak to coolant passage to cause the coolant thru coolant reservoir spray. If the vehicles keep this condition and the coolant spray on the reservoir will cause to trigger engine protect process to limitation engine power output. In this situation vehicle speed will slowly down, may cause user safety concern and got high risk driving in the road.

I am in NZ and this is exactly what happened to my Japan imported CX-5. Mazda Japan and Mazda NZ are not willing to help and say they are not legally responsible.

Old 06-01-2020, 04:28 PM

These engines are subject to a upcoming recall, the current owner may or may not of received yet a letter from Mazda. The head gasket issue should of been fixed on the new engine, the oil & fuel issues should be fixed in the upcoming recall.

Diesel engines are no good as general round town runners. Only buy it if you regularly driving at speed for long periods.
Thanks I will follow it up with Mazda. I am still having issues with the gear box. It's an automatic transmission but it bucks when driving at low speeds and I have noticed the engine revs them changes gear where it shouldn't. I have had throttle censors changed but made no difference.

Quick Reply: CX5 Diesel engine issues