Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

CX5 Diesel engine issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2020, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Have you spoken directly to Mazda NZ for assistance?
Only about 5 times 😂
I just get the "Mazda NZ do not cover imports" spiel.

oh, but they have offered to cover a recall on my boot hydraulics due to potential failure 🙄 cheers.

Old 06-11-2020, 07:09 AM
Super Moderator

Boot struts were recalled by Japan, and they will use any Mazda agent around the world to do the work.

It definitely sucks a huge Kumara.

Old 06-11-2020, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Boot struts were recalled by Japan, and they will use any Mazda agent around the world to do the work.

It definitely sucks a huge Kumara.
It's just so frustrating that they will cover boot struts, but not engine parts.

The fact they wont even acknowledge that the imports here would possibly have the same faults as their 'nz new' models - it just feels so secretive and like they are hiding it all behind closed doors and leaving us to fend for ourselves.

If you wont repair it at least help us by making awareness of the issues so we can take it back to the importer. It was pure accident I stumbled across threads such as this one whilst price comparing the vacuum repair quote they gave!

Old 06-29-2020, 09:45 PM
Angry 2012 Mazda CX5 Diesel

Hello,

We purchased a brand new Mazda CX5 from Mazda in 2012. The car was fantastic until around 130000km when the car lost power on a family holiday. We had the car towed to Mazda and we had a boost sensor replaced at our cost.

Shortly after this the engine failed completely at around 140000km. Diesel was filling into the engine oil and the engine required replacing - this was a cost covered by Mazda Australia.

Since the new engine was installed we have had constant issues. The car would jerk at low speed and was dangerous to drive. We returned it to Mazda 3 times complaining of this issue and every time we were advised that the car was fine and that no fault codes were present.

The vehicle became so dangerous to drive that we had an independent mechanic inspect at 170000km and he believed that it was an issue with the DPF. He advised us to return it to Mazda.

I returned it to Mazda and asked to take a technician for a drive. After a short drive, the technician agreed that there was a serious issue

Mazda Australia wanted to be advised of all engine oils that were used in the vehicle during servicing as they said that this could have a significant impact on this style of fault. All engine oils used were deemed satisfactory.

Mazda Australia has now determined that the DPF has failed and will require replacement at our cost. We have been quoted a discounted fee of $7800 (this includes the cost of diagnosing the fault for testing that they requested). They said that due to the age of the car it was a retail concern and therefor our problem.

We had a faulty engine in this vehicle for 130000km where diesel was contaminating the engine oil (seems like the correct engine oil didnt matter here!) We covered the replacement of a boost sensor and towing prior to having the engine replaced and now we are lumped with a $7800 repair. They now believe that this engine fault that caused the first failed boost sensor has had no bearing on the failed DPF.

This car has been a total lemon and should not be our cost to bare. We have been strung along since the new engine and have now been lumped with significant repair fees by saying the car is now too old. 30000km post new engine and I took it back for this problem 3 times in this period!

I am chasing it up with Consumer protection and am trying to get some media coverage because this is just so wrong of Mazda. The car has been rubbish

Old 06-29-2020, 11:50 PM
Super Moderator

Go to a independent mechanic & get a quote to replace the DPF. The vehicle is far outside warranty. The boost sensor is a very common problem, they corrode internally due to chemicals in the burnt exhaust.

Old 06-30-2020, 12:18 AM
Default 2012 Mazda CX5 Diesel

The car is well outside warranty but these are only a guide in regards to the law. There is a reasonable expected life warranty and Mazda in my opinion has not upheld this.
The engine was replaced out of warranty and this wasn't an issue.... because it was a known problem. The engine was replaced because diesel was dilluting the engine oil and this has obviously in my opinion caused the failed DPF. The problem has been there since the new engine was installed and despite returning it 3 times to have them investigate, I was told that no fault codes were raised and that everything was fine. It wasn't until getting an independent mechanic involved that the DPF was diagnosed.

This car has been a total lemon as have many other diesel CX5s and Mazda needs to own it. Cars are a large investment and they seem to be getting away by stringing people on until they can call the issues "age related".

I won't be fixing the car. I will purchase a new vehicle and push to have Mazda held accountable through the media and with consumer protection.

Old 07-06-2020, 11:33 AM

I have unusual problem..My consuption is all over the place.. When I'm driving on highway on constant speed and throttle it raises from 7.4 to 12.4. (it aint dpf cleaning,coz dpf dont turn on so occasionally ) my mazda service run test and comp. dont dont see any errors and dpf is supposedly clean . They told me only remaining thing us some kind of engine or erg cleaning and it cost 450$ and I work for 800$ (montly pay).

Old 07-08-2020, 05:41 PM

There is absolutely NO advantage to owning a Diesel CX 5. Gasoline is less expensive, non-turbo 2.5 L gas engines are as powerful as the Diesel AND less costly. My 2019 CX 5 Grand Touring Reserve 2.5 L turbo is just too much fun to limit myself to a Diesel.

Why MAZDA even sells it is a puzzle to me.

Eric B.

Old 07-09-2020, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Litehiker
There is absolutely NO advantage to owning a Diesel CX 5. Gasoline is less expensive, non-turbo 2.5 L gas engines are as powerful as the Diesel AND less costly. My 2019 CX 5 Grand Touring Reserve 2.5 L turbo is just too much fun to limit myself to a Diesel.

Why MAZDA even sells it is a puzzle to me.

Eric B.
Whoow what s idiotic post..wgaf what do you think.. In whole balkan diesel is cheaper than petrol..plus lower consuption..It's only two factors that we need in balkan .

Old 07-09-2020, 02:07 PM

I stand corrected. I had no idea you were living in the Balkans (Croatia?) and that Diesel fuel there was less expensive than gasoline ("petrol").

I live in the Las Vegas valley, Nevada, USA and here Diesel fuel is more expensive than gasoline and unless you need the big torque of a pickup truck 6 L. engine then you are $$ ahead with a gasoline motor.
True, I often put 5 to 6 US gallons of 100 octane ($8.00/gallon!) in the tank of my CX 5 GT Reserve turbo along with 91 octane gas for a nice HP improvement but that's because I enjoy the extra power that Joy Juice gives my engine. Still I pay around $4.00/gallon for 91 octane gas. West of the Mississippi River we cannot get 93 octane gas for reasons unknown to me. It's all 91 octane horse pi$$.

Eric B.

Quick Reply: CX5 Diesel engine issues