Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

CX5 Diesel engine issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

Also the US based CX-5 diesel was majorly de-tuned to meet emissions.

Australian spec 140kw ( 187hp) 450Nm torque

USA spec 125kw ( 168hp) 290Nm torque

Massive drop in torgue.

Old 07-12-2020, 05:57 AM
Bk5

Hi everybody, I have a nz new 2014 cx5 diesel that has come up with the Dtc P06de (engine oil pressure control circuit stuck on) which i checked using the forscan lite app on my phone. The oil is about halfway between the full and x mark on the dipstick, so I'm going to replace the oil tommorow I was wondering what the most common fault is usually when this code is thrown up? It sounds to me like the oil pressure sensor is faulty but by the sounds of what I've read on this forum it could be a lot of different things, just looking for a place to start. Cheers

Old 07-12-2020, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator

Bk5, don't touch the oil, contact Mazda ASAP, this is a very common & well known fault with these engines.

Old 07-12-2020, 06:44 PM
Bk5

I get the feeling they wont be to keen to help. I had the vacuum pump replaced last year when the car was still under warranty by mazda but even then they weren't sure my claim would be accepted as I am the 2nd owner, I will go talk to them and see what they say. My wife really likes the car but I'm from an engineering background and dont because of all these issues, are the petrol ones better in terms of reliability? Thanks for your help

Old 07-13-2020, 05:25 AM
Super Moderator

Petrol are 99% bullet proof. Diesel's are not reliable.

Old 07-20-2020, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Info hunter
We have had a response from Mazda New Zealand regarding the replacement of the head gasket after sending them an email with references to web pages relating to the issue globally and insisting they cover the costs associated with these issues they have agreed to cover the costs. We told them that my mother in law purchased one at the same time, they said they cant fix it if its not broken, but have agreed to put it on record and will cover it should the problem arise. We mentioned we had had contact with someone in Gisborne with the same issue. They thought they knew who it was and said they will pay for theirs as well so it may pay to contact them while its still fresh. Thanks for the info and fingers crossed Mazda follow through. Good on them if they do.
Hmm we have a 2014 model and are dealing with Mazda NZ as the turbo is stuffed. $4k to fix that and then oil light kept coming on after driving over 80km. Mazda NZ won’t come to the party might have to email them the same format directing them to links online.

Old 07-28-2020, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by Stan2001
Hi, looking for some help

I have a 2013 CX-5 with the head gasket issue, car was only serviced by Mazda on the first service and has been serviced by a mechanic every since, however 1 service was missed.

Car has 160k klm, has anyone had any luck getting mazda to cover the costs of the engine replacement even though it wasn't serviced by them?

My understanding is the engine is not fit for purpose and it's a known issue with the earlier CX-5, I just wanted to see if there is anyone else had a similar experience before I take it into Mazda.

Any advice would be great, thanks in advance.
Just having the same issues, 165K and serviced okay but blowing water into the overflow bottle. tried a new radiator cap and then had mechanic replace the thermostat. Took vehicle into Mazda dealership to repair and they are very quiet! No word after 1 week so I phoned and they said they are waiting on service records from Mazda.
They know that this is a fault in the design and are doing all they can to distance themselves from the problem.

Old 07-28-2020, 03:53 AM

Hi Stan,
I'm currently in the same position with my 2014 CX5 diesel overheating. No one is saying anything. How did you get on?

Old 07-28-2020, 04:27 AM
Super Moderator

Keep at them, don't let off. There is a inherent design fault with the Headgasket.

When it fails, combustion gasses enters the cooling system & blowing the coolant out the overflow, eventually it runs too low on coolant & cooks itself.

Old 08-11-2020, 08:13 PM

Hi All,

Brand new here, searching for info on my 2013 CX-5 Diesel (85,000 kms) which has suddenly died.

It’s been absolutely trouble-free up until now, and it went back to the dealership for the recent recall (intake shutter valve etc.) which involved upgrading the car’s computer software.

Two weeks later I was driving normally and the entire car’s electrics all went out at once - the entire dashboard just went black while I was driving and the car lost power. A couple of seconds later the electrics started up again, but the car wouldn’t restart. Lucky I wasn’t on the freeway with a truck behind me! The car hasn’t run since.

My theory is that the car’s computer system “crashed” and restarted, and something in the engine that’s normally controlled by the computer (valve timing perhaps?) went way out of spec and damaged the engine.

There were no fault codes recorded, presumably because the car’s computer was restarting, and there is NO COMPRESSION on any of the four cylinders. It’s been back at the dealership for a couple of weeks now, they have no idea what’s going on but have opened a technical case with Mazda Australia.

Mazda Australia are trying to pin the problem on the one thing outside their control - the oil. They say my mechanic used the wrong oil (he uses fully synthetic Gulf Western low ash oil as per spec.), and that carbon build-up must have clogged the valves. This seems implausible to me that this could cause the car to go from 100% normal to 100% dead in one go, but they won’t pull the engine apart to look at it unless I pay for them to do so.

Two questions for the forum:

1. Has anyone heard of a Mazda’s computer/electronics spontaneously restarting like this? Can you think of what sort of damage that could cause to the engine?

2. Mazda have had a couple of recalls related to carbon build-up in these engines, is there some information around about how bad these engines are for carbon build-up generally? I don’t think the carbon build-up is the problem, but if they’re going to argue that it is then it would be good to know if it’s their problem not mine.

If anyone has any helpful ideas I’d be most appreciative. Thank you!

Quick Reply: CX5 Diesel engine issues