Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

CX5 Diesel engine issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 02:40 AM
Super Moderator

Hit up Mazda Australia customer care direct. Cry poor, cry brand loyalty .
Otherwise from experience, you are better off paying them to dismantle the engine and find the fault. This give you ammo to give customer care if they refuse extended warranty.

Old 09-21-2020, 03:06 AM
Default NZ new CX5 LTD 2.2 Diesel issues

Hi everyone,
Our car is currently in with the local Mazda dealership (Fairview Motors) in Cambridge. Its done 140,000kms, mostly out of town running, and regularly serviced by both Mazda, and another mechanic.

Fairview's - Well they have had it for about a month now, as it was in for a warrant and rego, and to check on a recurring fault where the motor would not accelerate once it got hot, mostly on longer trips. - real handy when you got to pull out to pass someone and well, nothing....
I guess its limp mode...

Fairview's have been dealing with Mazda NZ, running all sorts of tests to diagnose and isolate the issue. After a few false starts; (i.e. "you need a new turbo" , we retested and its just a solenoid" - "happy days") we now get the call you need a new motor the head gasket is done...
I dont know how we went from A to C, but here we are.....

Mazda NZ say they are not paying to replace the solenoid, - well that's fine but what about my motor ? There seems to be a ton of evidence from here and around the world of the known gasket problem / coolant leak i think you call it, so my question is, do a rant at Fairview's to get Mazda to pay for a new engine or do I go to Mazda direct and remind them that we have the internet and forums these days ????
If its Mazda, does someone in here have a contract email address to start the ball rolling ?

Thanks for your time,

Joe.

Old 02-12-2021, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by mirboocx5
Hi Guys ... wondering how many of you have had issues or engine replacements with your CX5 2.2 diesel.

I recently had an issue with mine and when I took it to the dealer they said it was probably a blown motor coz they've had a few... hmmmm mine is an 2015 make... wondering if they were referring to the older models.

As it was it was a minor issue that they corrected... but now I'm worried about the long term viabilty of my much loved CX5 after the warantee runs out in 6 months.

Any comments welcome !

PS. car has 60000km on it and had an easy life with lots of country driving.
I dropped my 2013 CX5 in for a standard 100km service before Christmas. Later that day they phoned me to say that they needed to replace the engine and that they would need the car for at least a month. After one month they said they still did not have all of the parts required (although the new engine had arrived), and that they would need it for at least another month. Another month has passed and they still do not have the parts required from Japan. Apparently there are still 15 missing! They can give no ETA as they have no idea when the parts will arrive. I am told there is another CX5 in the repair shop with the same issue, and that another nearby dealership has 8 CX5's with the same issue. All are apparently awaiting these parts. I must add that my dealership/repair shop have been very helpful and supportive in the meanwhile.

Old 03-11-2021, 02:10 PM

Hi everyone - Just signed up after reading this very interesting thread.

I'm looking for a new car to tow my caravan - The current 3.5L V6 Nissan with a CVT is powerful enough but I know its doing the gearbox no good and its soooooo thirsty towing. After a bunch of online research I've decided the 2.2L Diesel CX5 is for me, but then I went down the path of looking for known issues and that opened up a hornets nest.

From reading this thread it sounds like Mazda made a lot of improvements to the 2017 model so that what I'm looking for. I've found a nice gun metal grey one with a little over 100K in a 2017 at the Christchurch Mazda dealer. My questions / issues are

I enquired about whether because its at a dealer this would have had all software / engine management and recalls done and the sales rep indicated its actually had a partial engine replacement - I missed exactly what he said and I'll ask tomorrow when taking it for a drive but I think he said Big Eng replacement??

Is there a change that it might be a 2017 shape with an earlier engine?? Can I check.
If its had work done part of my thinking is that'll mean its hopefully had all of the engine upgrades / improvements made to Head Gaskets etc so might actually be a good way to go. The price is pretty good for the model, especially from a dealer and I figure thats a combination of it breaking over the psychological 100K barrier and the fact its had major engine issues but surely a good chunk of the 100K milage on the engine can be mentally reset with the major overhaul so that's potentially a benefit to this particular car??

My final question relates to its usage. While I'd love to leave it as the tow and out of town car the reality is that due to space and money my wife will use this as her supermarket and work car which means during the week its going to be doing short runs. She does one motorway run each week but its only a short blast of 18KM at 110Kph, she has a heavy foot which could be good or could be bad with short runs??

It will get a good run out of town on every long weekend or holiday usually with the caravan on the back.

Is this enough as I've seen a lot of talk that a diesel (and maybe specifically this diesel) isn't a great idea for town driving.

Hope @grim_reaper can chip in a little bit as you sound like someone who knows this car pretty well from the other side of the fence working on them which is pretty valuable knowledge as I tend to form opinions based on what I read. I'll read as much as I can and meet toward the middle trying to weed out the crazies but there is a lot of info about these engines having some pretty major issues.

I really like the look of the CX5's, I read a caravan review site in the UK where they review cars doing evasive track manoeuvres, standing starts on steep inclines and they talk very highly of the CX5 2.2 Diesel engine and also the incredible stability and its hard to beat in their reviews. Their only con is "Some rivals ride more smoothly". https://www.practicalcaravan.com/reviews/mazda-cx-5

If I'm talked out of the CX5 (or don't like the ride as I've done a crap load of reading and research but haven't driving one!) then I'll probably be going Hyundai or Kia but for some reason the Korean SUV's seem a little pricey here in NZ on the second hand market and the CX5 seems on the face of it better value for money. The abundance of them on the road should point to good parts availability.

Old 03-11-2021, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mthornton
I dropped my 2013 CX5 in for a standard 100km service before Christmas. Later that day they phoned me to say that they needed to replace the engine and that they would need the car for at least a month. After one month they said they still did not have all of the parts required (although the new engine had arrived), and that they would need it for at least another month. Another month has passed and they still do not have the parts required from Japan. Apparently there are still 15 missing! They can give no ETA as they have no idea when the parts will arrive. I am told there is another CX5 in the repair shop with the same issue, and that another nearby dealership has 8 CX5's with the same issue. All are apparently awaiting these parts. I must add that my dealership/repair shop have been very helpful and supportive in the meanwhile.
Wow, I imagine with all of the logistics issues around the world this must be a nightmare - I ordered a Spin bike in October and I'll hopefully finally have it this week!!!! Spoke to a client in shipping and he said you book space on a boat and then at the last minute they announce they are bypassing NZ because if they fill up with Australian freight and leave NZ out of the loop they can be back again days earlier - Add the delays unloading at Ports in Auckland etc and you can see why they make more money skipping us.

Old 03-14-2021, 09:28 AM
Default Melted exhaust pressure sensor, caused damage to wiring loom

Hi,

Got a brand new MY2013 2.2L Diesel CX-5 in Dec 2013. Been driving fine. It did have the fuel return hose, vacuum pump and intake shutter valve attended to (Mar 2020) following the recall: they suspected the fuel return hose had a leak, and the internal shaft of the vacuum pump was worn and had caused a reduction in vacuum assist. All fixed free of charge.

Fast forward to end of Jan 2021 with relatively limited driving since the recall works (maybe ~4,000km due to Covid), we were driving on the freeway 80km/h: the car started stalling, losing power. Engine warning light came up along with an other 2 warning lights. Took the car to my local Mazda dealer.

It is 7yo and has <80,000km and had been driving fine until this event. My local dealer initially thought that the issue was relating to that recall but after investigations, it turns out the problem came from the exhaust pressure sensor that has melted, which caused damage to the engine wiring loom. Estimated costs of repair: AUD5,500. My local dealer has been rather helpful and took the initiative to try get the Mazda warranty department to assist with the costs of repair, which they declined. Same outcome when he tried to get Mazda Australia Customer Service to cover the costs of repair. Reason given: car is too old and has too many kms on the odometer and they can't prove the issue is related to the recall problems from last year.

I am no mechanic but my instinct tells me that the melting of an exhaust pressure sensor after less than 80,000kms is not normal wear and tear... which a local mechanic agreed with, and which my local Mazda dealer also didn't deny. So I took over and reached out directly to National customer service in writing and then again by phone (after not hearing anything for 2 weeks). They maintained the issue is not their problem and they closed the case. I thought benefit of the doubt would prevail along with the customer satisfaction Mazda seems to praise themselves for. Now after 2 months of going back and forth, I am back in touch with my local dealer to get the actual root cause for the melting of the sensor, which they still haven't communicated to me.

I was wondering whether anyone else here had issues with the exhaust pressure sensor on the 2013 diesel model?
Could any of the known issues with this engine caused the overheating and melting of the sensor? Can it be 100% ruled out?
Would it be far fetched to expect Mazda to cover the costs for a melted exhaust pressure sensor at <80,000km?
Any suggestion?

Cheers

Old 03-14-2021, 04:31 PM
Default New owner

Well - Just to report back - In some ways against my better judgement I'm the proud owner of a Japanese imported 2015 CX5 Diesel with 48K on the clock.

I went to look at the one at the dealer and when we got there one of the reps was on the phone and sure enought, someone from Wellington purchased it sight unseen as late model NZ New ones are in serious shortage. In fact the christchurch Mazda dealer had ZERO new CX5's on the lot and a very sparse selection.

As we still hadn't even test driven one we looked online, found one we liked the look of and took it for a test drive which of course led to use buying it. Happy with the look and state, happy with the low KMs - Aside from the fact the Mazda sales rep's take was that it didn't matter if its doing short trips, it just wants to be driven regularly which is contrary to my interpretation here which is they like highway driving and not lots of short trips so I've got my fingers crossed it was a nice owner in Japan who saved it for holiday trips up the country - Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

Because of my fear of catastrophic failure along with local dealerships only involved in Safety related recalls but won't touch a manufacturing related issue we purchased a 3 year "warranty" (Insurance package) which we did with our last 2nd hand purchase and it paid dividends when the bushes started clunking and after market bushes didn't do the job and Nissan's fix was to replace the entire control arms in the front of the car and one other issue that I now can't recall.

So I have my fingers crossed that with regular services as the Mazda dealer to maintain and build a relationship with the dealership and the warranty covering the first three years where anything major will hopefully come to light I have my fingers crossed we haven't brought a dud.

We won't have it for a little while as awaiting the final say from the bank and apparently the mortgage departments are swamped at present, then it needs a service they tell me they only use the official Mazda dealership for after being stung in the past on these cars and a tow-bar to be installed.

I'm hanging out to start checking software versions in the entertainment unit and looking at Mazda connect etc and attempting to download updates.

Also interested to see if we can do a software only Nav install as it doesn't have NAV but I assume thats just a license/software thing as its obviously got GPS hardware as it shows GPS co-ords when you attempt to go into Nav.

Depending on Costs for Nav we'll weight up costs for Nav, vs ignore and use phones vs cost for update to Apple Carplay but I've heard come reports that Carplay on the pre-2016 versions is pretty slow to launch and it'd do my head in when going somewhere when I have to sit and wait to be able to key the details in.

Anyway - I'm sure I'll be spending some time here now and praying for a reliable Mazda diesel - At least it will be getting a good blast with the caravan on the back and between the stability, the torque and the Radar adaptive Cruise control I foresee it being a pleasure to tow with.

Old 03-14-2021, 11:43 PM
Thumbs down CX 5 - Dud Deisel

I have a 2013 CX 5. 18 months ago it blew the head gasket and Mazda did a whole engine replacement as everything went on it..................engine, turbo, radiator, the works. Apparently a "know issue". The car had less than 145k's on the clock. With no temperature gauge, you have no warning if the engine is heating up. A red light pops up on the dash only when it reaches breaking point, and by that time it's too late, the damage is done.
3 days ago, I lost power for a split second on the motorway; looked at my dash and saw a red light again (just for a split second before it disappeared), then my battery light came on. I pulled over within 300 meters of the incident, popped the bonnet and found coolant all over the engine. Overheated again !
Mazda dealer tells me that the generator seized, causing the fan belt to break, and in the process damaged the fan belt tension pulley, causing the car to overheat.
Sounds like garbage to me since the engine fan is electric and does not run off a fanbelt.
It's also not covered under warranty despite never missing a service by a Mazda dealer. The generator breakdown is considered to be "normal wear and tear". Seriously ! A generator seizes up and that's normal ?
I'm also told that when these parts are replaced (at a cost of $2,370), then, and only then, can they start the engine to see if the head gasket is gone again. The last time this happened, Mazda installed over $25,000 in parts (retail) to repair the car under warranty.
So I'm expected to pay $2,370 to find out if I have a blown engine ? It's spurting coolant, and that a good indicator of a blow head gasket. Who pays for the replacement engine after that ?
The car's a lemon and I'd urge prospective buyers to steer clear.

Old 03-14-2021, 11:46 PM

I have a 2013 CX 5. 18 months ago it blew the head gasket and Mazda did a whole engine replacement as everything went on it..................engine, turbo, radiator, the works. Apparently a "know issue". The car had less than 145k's on the clock. With no temperature gauge, you have no warning if the engine is heating up. A red light pops up on the dash only when it reaches breaking point, and by that time it's too late, the damage is done.
3 days ago, I lost power for a split second on the motorway; looked at my dash and saw a red light again (just for a split second before it disappeared), then my battery light came on. I pulled over within 300 meters of the incident, popped the bonnet and found coolant all over the engine. Overheated again !
Mazda dealer tells me that the generator seized, causing the fan belt to break, and in the process damaged the fan belt tension pulley, causing the car to overheat.
Sounds like garbage to me since the engine fan is electric and does not run off a fanbelt.
It's also not covered under warranty despite never missing a service by a Mazda dealer. The generator breakdown is considered to be "normal wear and tear". Seriously ! A generator seizes up and that's normal ?
I'm also told that when these parts are replaced (at a cost of $2,370), then, and only then, can they start the engine to see if the head gasket is gone again. The last time this happened, Mazda installed over $25,000 in parts (retail) to repair the car under warranty.
So I'm expected to pay $2,370 to find out if I have a blown engine ? It's spurting coolant, and that a good indicator of a blow head gasket. Who pays for the replacement engine after that ?
The car's a lemon and I'd urge prospective buyers to steer clear.

Old 03-15-2021, 05:07 AM
Super Moderator

fpecheur The Exhaust pressure sesnsor is a well-known fault, and Mazda has an extended warranty coverage on it, 10yrs 200,000kms from memory.

If Mazda Australia has offered no help, I would be contacting the MTA NSW & ACCC.

Quick Reply: CX5 Diesel engine issues