Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

CX5 Diesel engine issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
fpecheur The Exhaust pressure sesnsor is a well-known fault, and Mazda has an extended warranty coverage on it, 10yrs 200,000kms from memory.

If Mazda Australia has offered no help, I would be contacting the MTA NSW & ACCC.
Thanks for that grim_reaper. The exhaust pressure sensor issue was for the 2012 models for sure, but I thought they had upgraded the sensor on 2013 models and beyond? I tried to look for info on extended warranty for that very issue but no luck so if you had any reference it would be super helpful. Otherwise I'll try my luck with MTA and ACCC. Thank you so much mate!

Old 03-16-2021, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator

There's been at least 4 upgraded/superseded sensors since 2012 launch

Old 03-29-2021, 01:41 AM

We just received our 2012 2.2l diesel back from Mazda service today, with a brand new engine.

It took 3 months from just prior to Christmas to be fixed, due to shipping and supply being slow. Mazda were good about it and gave us a hire car.

Can anybody tell me whether the engine we have just received will have all known fixes in it ? We are worried about the longevity although we have a 2 year warranty on the engine..

So far grim_reaper (the helpful expert) has mentioned
1. camshaft issue,
2. head gasket issue,
3. oil dilution issues
......in either late KE series or the start of the KF series.

We were told by the service center of 4 fixes. We don't know which engine version we have now - is there a way to tell ?

p.s. A mechanic friend who is well acquainted with this engine, recommends we replace it with the CX-5 2.5L Turbo as it is solid..

Just want to make the best decision...

Last edited by xmanflash; 04-02-2021 at 09:02 PM.
Old 04-05-2021, 11:27 PM

Hi All - Got a JDM 2015 2.2 Diesel second hand a few weeks ago in NZ. Its low KM's (47K) for a 2015 which might be fine (Only driven to ski fields in Holidays) or might be dreadful (Only driven dropping kids to school 5km away) but at this point its running really well. The interior is immaculate so it doesn't look like a daily runner and it had crap aftermarket roof racks fitted that I can only see being used for Ski's so I'm telling myself it was only used on runs out of town to the ski resort

What I'm looking for is what I can do to try and mitigate some of the issues these engines have. My wife will be driving it to work and back daily but it'll get a couple of motorway trips weekly and we tow the caravan away every long weekend and some normal ones between - Usually wouldn't go too long without a trip with or without the caravan out of town.

We just towed the caravan 380KM each way on holiday over easter and it got a few good drives without the caravan in between doing 45km runs on the open road and over winding hills. I did the obligatory tonne on a nice straight in the middle of nowhere and it got up there with ease and felt as stable as at 100Kph (Not the smoothest road in the world either - Lots of patching causing dips and undulations)

I have to say it was such a pleasure to drive - It accelerated with ease with our without the caravan (VERY quick without) and stuck to the road like proverbial sh*t to a blanket.

Is a decent open road long trip with a caravan every 6 weeks enough to clean the particular filter or do I need to make sure I book in a blast up the motorway for fun if nothing else every fortnite?

I'm going to do 10,000K services at the Mazda dealer like clockwork (Had its first via the dealer who only uses Mazda for their services for these due to prior issues).

Is there anything else recommended I can do - It appears to have had its recall work done while in Japan so hopefully its had all of the prior fixes applied/checked but hard to know for sure as the only way I found to check was on Mazda Japan and the results are in Japanese and good translate doesn't work after the form submission. Next time its at Mazda for a service I'm going to chat to the service department about its history.

We have purchased a 3 year Warranty (Insurance) so with the regular services to keep them happy I feel safe in the near term about total engine failure but this thread makes me nervous (I know if you go looking you'll find horror stories about any car).

Old 04-05-2021, 11:44 PM

As a follow on to the prior reply to this thread I just found a post about a manual DPF Regen process. They say get the engine warm and then stop. Turn the engine on and within 6 seconds hold TCS off for 2-5 seconds and the RPM will rise to about 1750 RPM and do a manual DPF Regeneration that'll take 15-25 minutes during which the Glow Plug ligh flashes. (I haven't actually noticed the Glow Plug light on ours but I'm sure its there?)

This guy recommended doing this fortnightly if your Mazda diesel isn't getting a chance to do it normally due to short tips.

What are peoples thoughts on this process and is there a way via Software and OBD2 cable where you can see a log of when its last run a DPF Clean/Regen?? Would be quite re-assuring to know its happening automatically (or manually).

Old 04-10-2021, 12:57 PM

Hi folks.

With Mazda apparently fixing the issue with the Diesel - does anyone know when they fixed them? For instance models since ~2017?

Last edited by vorno; 04-14-2021 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-14-2021, 12:36 PM

I'm planning on getting a 2017 or later model and am deciding whether or not I should be considering a diesel model due to previous issues? Are they still an issue with 2017+ models?

Old 04-15-2021, 03:44 AM
Super Moderator

Supposably, the newer KF series CX-5 launched in 2017 had a redesigned engine.

Unless you are doing long trips on a very regular basis I would recommend NOT buying a diesel.

Old 04-19-2021, 07:39 PM

I thought I'd post an update since my last post: the person who dealt with my case at the local dealership resigned and the person who took over my case contacted me. After talking with them, they said they'd reopen a case with Mazda Australia. 2 weeks later, the local dealer contacted me to say that Mazda agreed to cover the costs of repair for the exhaust pressure sensor and the wiring harness that had both melted. Got my car back last night. Not sure what changed other than the person who had initially raised the case with Mazda Australia and me being persistent. I did mention I had heard of an extended warranty on pressure sensors (thanks grim_reaper !!!) and also that the car had been serviced as per manufacturers specs at the Mazda dealer. Maybe that was enough to change their mind and maybe the guy who took over my case was better at explaining the issue? Anyway, problem solved after 3 months without a car...

Old 04-19-2021, 07:49 PM

I’m glad you got your issue fixed!

Quick Reply: CX5 Diesel engine issues