Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

CX5 Diesel engine issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2021, 08:44 PM

This is all making me cry a little more as an owner of a 2015 Japanese 2nd hand import as I won't get any help from the dealer network without making a LOT of noise so fingers crossed it goes well - I'll definitely be doing 10,000km services with the Mazda dealer like clockwork.

Old 04-22-2021, 04:23 PM

Grim_reaper:
Would you recommend the US 2019 CX-5 Diesel? There are quite a few available in the US with low miles on them. I live out in the country, so it would be mostly country roads and highways for my driving. I live in southern Michigan where diesel is only 10 cents more than regular unleaded. Still have a 1999.5 VW Jetta diesel with almost 330,000 miles that I plan to replace soon.

Old 04-23-2021, 03:20 AM
Super Moderator

The US diesel was majorly de-tuned to meet California emissions. Unless they are dirt cheap, and you do regular highway driving, there's no point buying one.

Old 04-28-2021, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Supposably, the newer KF series CX-5 launched in 2017 had a redesigned engine.

Unless you are doing long trips on a very regular basis I would recommend NOT buying a diesel.
I drive 2x 15km trips per day on the highway to work and probably do 6-10 350km trips a year. So what would equal about 10,000km a year?

Old 04-29-2021, 05:18 AM
Super Moderator

Not worth the hassle.

Old 04-29-2021, 02:08 PM

...if only more petrol models were available second hand!

Old 04-29-2021, 08:10 PM

Sorry to Nag @grim_reaper - What do you consider reasonable travel distances to avoid the nasties in a CX5 Diesel.

Ours is going to be doing a fair few 3km trips during the week with a couple of 15-20km each way trips weekly and then 300km or more trips towing a van every 6 weeks on average.

Should I be purposely going out and giving it a decent long highway blast in the weekends or is the above enough in between the long holiday towing trips (Pretty much every long weekend with some weekend trips thrown in).

I LOVE this car but at the same time I'm paranoid about the implications of the Diesel - We've actually kept our old Nissan Murano as its more use as a spare than the money it would give as a trade in or sale. Part of me wants my wife to keep using that and save the Diesel for trips and towing but is sitting unused for a fortnite at a time just as bad?

Old 04-30-2021, 04:33 AM
Super Moderator

Modern Diesels are no good for round town short trips. You would want to be driving 20 -30kms (motorway / highway) minimum every trip.

Old 05-06-2021, 09:43 PM

Hi all
Hope your are all doing well as can be expected.

Just a quick drop in, a progress update.
*Touching wood as I type this* After the Vacuum Pump and Hose replacement (NOV19) as part of 2019 recall, I haven't had any messages or any significant maintenance events.
It's a real pity this diesel engine causes so many issues for the early model diesel cx5's as it's just been a tremendous vehicle for me, I absolute love it to bits.

My latest maintenance related problem was just a flat tire, caused by a leaking stem/valve. The warning system didn't detect, nor alert me to it until it was faaar too late... i.e. the tyre was completely deflated.
Luckily, it was close to home and close to a petrol/gas station where i could inflate the tyre and hobble home and find the source of my leak. Used Scotch70 Self adhesive tape to strap the valve until I could get to Beaurepaires where they fixed it properly for 50 quid. Better than having to fork-out for new tyre$!!!

anyway - thats the latest. regards

Old 05-08-2021, 03:28 PM
Default Buying advice

Hi All!
We're looking to buy a cx-5 and had been put off the diesels by the issues and gasket problems. The dealer we spoke to reckons these were resolved in the gen 1 facelift and onwards but I can't find anything specific on this.
We drove the 2.0 petrol and we're very underwhelmed compared to the diesel and are trying to decide between a 2013/14 2.5 petrol or a 2015/16 diesel.
we drive 25km each way to work, about 20 of which is motorway if that would help the diesel.Any help is much appreciated!

Quick Reply: CX5 Diesel engine issues