Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

CX5 Diesel engine issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2022, 07:19 PM

I have the 2013 model diesel and it failed last years warrant 100k needed the rear diff bushes replaced and a steering arm. I had only ever towed a trailer 4-5 times. The mechanic said this happens a lot

Old 01-18-2022, 09:50 PM
Default Faultfinder

Hi Mobiusnz and Lisamaree1981
I did cover the DPF cleaning earlier and how you can tell it's happening but here is an update. I always have the fuel consumption option on my dash so it displayed Litres per 100km being consumed in real time. Typically the numbers I got with the diesel would be high under acceleration 32+ but would come down quickly when cruising speed is reached to 6 to 7 depending on my driving style. When the DPF filter cleaning was in progress this consumption would rise to 11 or higher at cruise speed. At this time the i-stop light would go off too and only come back on when the DPF filter clean was finished. Now I live in the country so if I was on my way home and saw a clean taking place I would keep driving until the process finished. So when the clean finishes the i-stop light comes back on and fuel consumption returns to normal.

The Turbo boost pressure sensor is easy to get at and replace. Remove the plastic engine cover and it's at the rear near firewall on the right. When mine failed the check engine light came on and I had no power, also engine went into limp home mode, I can't remember the trouble code number I got on the scan tool but the description mentioned boost pressure so wasn't too hard to track the fault. It was also disconcerting when I contacted the local dealer to order a new sensor they admitted there was a high number of this particular sensor that get replaced. Up till that time they were fairly tight lipped.

Old 01-19-2022, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Faultfinder
Hi Mobiusnz and Lisamaree1981
I did cover the DPF cleaning earlier and how you can tell it's happening but here is an update. I always have the fuel consumption option on my dash so it displayed Litres per 100km being consumed in real time. Typically the numbers I got with the diesel would be high under acceleration 32+ but would come down quickly when cruising speed is reached to 6 to 7 depending on my driving style. When the DPF filter cleaning was in progress this consumption would rise to 11 or higher at cruise speed. At this time the i-stop light would go off too and only come back on when the DPF filter clean was finished. Now I live in the country so if I was on my way home and saw a clean taking place I would keep driving until the process finished. So when the clean finishes the i-stop light comes back on and fuel consumption returns to normal.

The Turbo boost pressure sensor is easy to get at and replace. Remove the plastic engine cover and it's at the rear near firewall on the right. When mine failed the check engine light came on and I had no power, also engine went into limp home mode, I can't remember the trouble code number I got on the scan tool but the description mentioned boost pressure so wasn't too hard to track the fault. It was also disconcerting when I contacted the local dealer to order a new sensor they admitted there was a high number of this particular sensor that get replaced. Up till that time they were fairly tight lipped.
Thanks for that - Do you know how frequently it runs? Working out if I need to go for a good country drive this weekend and see if it happens or if it happened while towing caravan for 3 hours a fortnight ago is that it for a period. Also based on the frequency it likes to run I might schedule a regular Fortnightly / Monthly drive in the country to book it in so to speak.

EDIT: On a bit of a search I've seen talk of it being every 500KM - Based on this it should be getting regular enough runs on that distance range to be done. I guess the issue is does it need to be done more when there is frequent short tripping.

Last edited by mobiusnz; 01-19-2022 at 03:50 PM.
Old 01-19-2022, 05:08 PM
Default Faultfinder

Yes Mobiusnz this is a very good question. The answer is "It depends how clogged the DPF filter is" . How the ECU (engine computer) works out the filter needs an auto clean is by sensing the pressure across it. This is done quite easily with 2 sensors, one at the inlet and one at the outlet of the filter. The problem is if you do a lot of city driving and you haven't recognized that a filter auto clean is in progress and you turn the engine off, and you repeat this cycle often, the filter never gets a proper clean and eventually will block up and cause problems. This is why most advice is to give the car a run on the open road at regular intervals. So my advice is to keep looking for the fuel consumption rise and i-stop light going out while you're driving, then keep driving until the clean is finished. My DPF filter started to block up when I had the boost pressure problem and I used some DPF cleaner that you add to the fuel when you fill up. It worked and helped almost immediately so this might be something you could look at.

Old 01-19-2022, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Faultfinder
Yes Mobiusnz this is a very good question. The answer is "It depends how clogged the DPF filter is" . How the ECU (engine computer) works out the filter needs an auto clean is by sensing the pressure across it. This is done quite easily with 2 sensors, one at the inlet and one at the outlet of the filter. The problem is if you do a lot of city driving and you haven't recognized that a filter auto clean is in progress and you turn the engine off, and you repeat this cycle often, the filter never gets a proper clean and eventually will block up and cause problems. This is why most advice is to give the car a run on the open road at regular intervals. So my advice is to keep looking for the fuel consumption rise and i-stop light going out while you're driving, then keep driving until the clean is finished. My DPF filter started to block up when I had the boost pressure problem and I used some DPF cleaner that you add to the fuel when you fill up. It worked and helped almost immediately so this might be something you could look at.
Thanks for the Tips - I know they eventually can pop up an error on screen but not sure if that's version specific. It would be nice if there was a basic DPF health check feature in the computer that showed you when it was last successfully completed and an estimated next due rather than having to guess but at the end of the day a good long run with these engines is required with some regularity for a myriad of reasons so it seems like a good excuse to book weekend trips to distant cafe's for a bit of travel to give it a good run.

When its running well I'm stunned how good this car really is - The handling and comfort of the model is exceptional for what is a small/midsize SUV and the power of the engine is incredible. It'll be a sad day when I eventually have to replace it and probably go back to a petrol engine as more and more of the diesel models are going off the market

Old 01-19-2022, 07:33 PM
Default Faulfinder

Originally Posted by mobiusnz
Thanks for the Tips - I know they eventually can pop up an error on screen but not sure if that's version specific. It would be nice if there was a basic DPF health check feature in the computer that showed you when it was last successfully completed and an estimated next due rather than having to guess but at the end of the day a good long run with these engines is required with some regularity for a myriad of reasons so it seems like a good excuse to book weekend trips to distant cafe's for a bit of travel to give it a good run.

When its running well I'm stunned how good this car really is - The handling and comfort of the model is exceptional for what is a small/midsize SUV and the power of the engine is incredible. It'll be a sad day when I eventually have to replace it and probably go back to a petrol engine as more and more of the diesel models are going off the market
Seems to me problems begin when the odometer reaches the other side of 100,000 km. In my case around 160,000. Other issues to watch out for. Head gasket failing and allowing

combustion gases into cooling system (very common) Mazda won't acknowledge. Turbo boost pressure sensor failing (original sensor made of plastic and replacement metal) Could heat

from the turbo have caused the original sensor's early demise? we will never get an answer on that one. Yes I agree with you about the performance and ride but I'm not very forgiving when I get treated

like an idiot. So because I like the CX5 and it fills all my requirements I am still with the brand and have purchased a new 2021 CX5 with a 2.5L petrol engine and a turbo. Haven't towed

the caravan yet but hoping it's on par with the power of the Diesel.

Last edited by Faultfinder; 01-19-2022 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-20-2022, 05:24 AM
Super Moderator

The original series of plastic boost sensors suffered corrosion form the exhaust fumes.

Old 01-26-2022, 01:42 AM

Hi, i have a 2013 NZ new CX5. Recently had the check engine light come on and the error codes P0471 Exhaust pressure sensor, P117a Engine oil over temperature - forced limited power, P2262 Turbo boost pressure not detected. I've had the sensor replaced by my local mechanic which has cleared all the codes and engine light BUT water is pumping into the overflow tank when hot and not draining back into the radiator.

After reading this thread and talking to the mechanic I'm sure it will be the head gasket and the camshaft and turbo's will likely need replacing also . It seems like a very common problem so I'm going to pull together information on how widespread the issue is and raise it with Mazda NZ. I'll keep you updated on how i get on

A friend of mines 2012 diesel CX-5 also S**t itself recently.

Old 01-26-2022, 08:56 PM

HELP!!
From Hamilton, NZ and have a NZ New 2016 Mazda CX-5 GSX DSL 2.2D/4WD/6AT purchased in 2020 from a car dealer in Auckland. Vehicle has 147,000kms on the clock and was serviced by our own mechanic at 129,000kms and 137,700kms. Currently has 147,000kms and was booked in for a service, however on the weekend the engine check light came on and the car went into limp mode, Luckily I just made it to my sisters house. We have a basic scanner which came up with the code PO524 - oil pressure too low. Oil levels were ok but we changed the oil anyway to see if that helped, but no use. After a few more checks and tests, calls to mechanic friends, long story short, the drive chain has snapped, probably due to a blocked oil pick up starving the engine of oil. So sadly we need a new engine (sigh). I have booked it in to Fairview Mazda to check over properly and diagnose the fault, but I want to know if anyone else has seen this before? We are out of the manufacture warranty period, however I'm adamant this is a manufacture issue especially reading this thread and the many engine issues others have experienced. Any help / advice would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by jeeperscreepers; 01-30-2022 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-10-2022, 08:11 PM
Default 2019 cx5

Hi folks, i have a 2019 CX5 diesel. After 30000 km service in Cairns we got to Mt Isa and got a warning oil too high. That is 1000kms of highway driving, how can the filter contaminate the clean oil after such highway driving. Had it fixed and it happens on a regular basis, car does mostly highway miles. I've decided to sell my CX5,I thought it was my forever car, very disappointed in Mazda.

Quick Reply: CX5 Diesel engine issues