Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

CX5 Diesel engine issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2022, 10:32 PM
Default 2016 cx5 diesel

I really wish I knew about the head gasket issues with the cx5 before I brought one! I brought mine new, I love it, it handles beautifully and I live rurally so the diesel was a good choice. I got to 140,000 country kms and ended up with coolant over the engine, a busted radiator and blown head gasket - the crappy thing with these cars is the lack of temp gauge, so by the time you know somethings wrong it’s too late. So it’s out of warranty but Mazda (Wangaratta) are replacing the engine without charge. I’ve only had about half the services done with Mazda and the others with a local mechanic. While I was waiting to have the diagnosis done I was in the service area and there was another person with exactly the same thing going on - they were the only other person I saw there while waiting! So they can’t say that it doesn’t happen!!
Apparently my engine is on “back order” and won’t be available until mid March and they won’t supply a courtesy car which I’m a bit annoyed with but at least their replacing the engine. I assume it’s replaced with the same model engine which means that this may happen again, it may be time to trade it in for a petrol model damn it

Old 02-11-2022, 05:30 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Penstar
they won’t supply a courtesy car which I’m a bit annoyed with, but at least they're replacing the engine.
Contact Mazda Australia and complain you are without critical transport. They should ( normally) give you a free loan car. Your dealer should of organised this on Mazda's behalf for you.

Old 02-11-2022, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ozbomber
Hi folks, i have a 2019 CX5 diesel. After 30000 km service in Cairns we got to Mt Isa and got a warning oil too high. That is 1000kms of highway driving, how can the filter contaminate the clean oil after such highway driving. Had it fixed and it happens on a regular basis, car does mostly highway miles. I've decided to sell my CX5,I thought it was my forever car, very disappointed in Mazda.

It's got nothing to do with the oil filter. Most likely who ever serviced it added too much oil, along with oil dilution from DPF regeneration procedure.

Old 02-11-2022, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Contact Mazda Australia and complain you are without critical transport. They should ( normally) give you a free loan car. Your dealer should of organised this on Mazda's behalf for you.
I did ask for one but the dealer said they wont do it because the car is out of warranty and they are already paying for the engine. I do live remotely though and it’s really tough being without a car for so long. I’ll contact Mazda myself, thanks for the help

Old 02-11-2022, 05:46 AM
Super Moderator

Mazda Customer Care
1800 034 411

8:30am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Old 02-11-2022, 05:57 AM

Mazda Customer Care
1800 034 411

8:30am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.
that’s fantastic, thank you!
I take it that they replace the engine with the same model that was originally in it right? So the chances of this happening again are high

Old 02-11-2022, 06:04 AM
Super Moderator

Yes & no. Same physical engine, but a revised head gasket & revised injector seals. These were the two main culprits.

Also, for peace of mind, which you will need to pay for, ask them to replace the plastic water pipe under the manifold with the superseded steel pipe ( common failure ) and also replace the radiator cap.

Generic Internet picture

Old 02-11-2022, 06:06 AM

Yes & no. Same physical engine, but a revised head gasket & revised injector seals. These were the two main culprits.

Also, for peace of mind, which you will need to pay for, ask them to replace the plastic water pipe under the manifold with the superseded steel pipe ( common failure ) and also replace the radiator cap.

Generic Internet picture
that’s very helpful, thank you.

Old 02-12-2022, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Alex1234
Hi, i have a 2013 NZ new CX5. Recently had the check engine light come on and the error codes P0471 Exhaust pressure sensor, P117a Engine oil over temperature - forced limited power, P2262 Turbo boost pressure not detected. I've had the sensor replaced by my local mechanic which has cleared all the codes and engine light BUT water is pumping into the overflow tank when hot and not draining back into the radiator.

After reading this thread and talking to the mechanic I'm sure it will be the head gasket and the camshaft and turbo's will likely need replacing also . It seems like a very common problem so I'm going to pull together information on how widespread the issue is and raise it with Mazda NZ. I'll keep you updated on how i get on

A friend of mines 2012 diesel CX-5 also S**t itself recently.
I'd love to hear how you get on. I have a 2016 CX-5 2.2 6AT Diesel, NZ New. Purchased mid 2020. I started having the engine light & low oil pressure light come on so would get it taken to the mechanics, they'd basically service it and clear the error codes and it'd be OK again... For a bit.
Its happened about 3 times now. Last time it went to a local Midas and they said it will cost 6-10K to fix. It has the increasing oil volume thing happening. I live 30km from town so it was having regular decent drives along SH1 not to mention to Auckland too. The mechanic at Midas did say that starting it and driving straight away can contribute to or cause some of this issue (I was doing an on call job where if you got called you got dressed and ran, so possible). Mine is still driveable (just) & mechanic said it might be good for two days of two years, couldn't say.
Any additional advice or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-17-2022, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Penstar
I did ask for one but the dealer said they wont do it because the car is out of warranty and they are already paying for the engine. I do live remotely though and it’s really tough being without a car for so long. I’ll contact Mazda myself, thanks for the help
So I contacted Mazda Australia myself and they approved a courtesy car - I’m very happy with what they gave me too!

Quick Reply: CX5 Diesel engine issues