Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

CX5 Diesel engine issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2022, 05:58 PM
Angry Disgruntled Diesel owner

I am in Canada and bought a 2019 CX5 Diesel. Shortly after the first oil change, the warning light started coming on of "engine oil level is overfull".
I now have just over 60,000 KM on it and after the last oil change it only went 1048 kilometers before the light came on.
There is diesel getting into the oil pan and diluting the oil. I am not willing to do an oil change after every 1000KM so I am demanding that Mazda buy back this lemon.
Besides the diesel fuel in the oil issue, I have had no end of DEF issues and been in limp mode many times.
The bottom line is that with running it with diesel in the oil pan, I am wearing out this engine prematurely.
Anybody else out there that either has or wants to start a class action suit against Mazda?
I didn't buy a diesel so that the engine will wear out quicker than a gas model.
Mazda Canada's last "solution" is to do an oil change and leave the oil level BELOW the add line.
The mechanic was apparently instructed by Mazda Canada to put less than the required oil into the engine so that it would take longer for the warning light to come on!!!!!
Wow! this was a bad idea and that explains why they only brought the diesel model into Canada for 1 year.
Anybody else with me on this bad experience?

Old 03-01-2022, 07:18 PM

Hi

I'm helping a friend who has a 2015 CX5 Diesel and apparently she has been told the engine is cooked as the oil was overfilled? Does anyone know what if any recalls were done on this vehicle and when? Thanks in advance.

Old 03-02-2022, 05:42 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Newstart#007
Hi

I'm helping a friend who has a 2015 CX5 Diesel and apparently she has been told the engine is cooked as the oil was overfilled? Does anyone know what if any recalls were done on this vehicle and when? Thanks in advance.
Book it in with Mazda, if its got a good service history they will normally pay the cost of repair.

Old 03-02-2022, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Book it in with Mazda, if its got a good service history they will normally pay the cost of repair.
Thank you . All, except last 2 services done through Dealer but all log book stamped. We're trying to ascertain the full diagnosis form Mazda and they are sending a report today, they are saying that engine was overfilled with oil causing oil to leak into coolant etc now the engine is cooked. The last person to touch the car was an independent mechanic who was asked to teat the oil light coming on and they replaced "vacuum pump faulty that was causing fault on the dash" My thoughts on this is that if engine oil was overfilled the engine oil light illuminating may well simply be a symptom with overfill being the cause. Do you know of other cases where this light has come on? any help appreciated. thank you.

Old 03-03-2022, 04:04 AM
Super Moderator

Overfilling the oil won't cause it to leak into the coolant.

Oil light will only come on when the pressure is very very low.

These engines are well known for oil pressure problems..

Old 03-03-2022, 08:11 PM

HI there
I've got a CX-5 2013 Diesel, about 150k and recently had the oil carbon issue and camshafts replaced followed by recently the engine overheating. (about 4-5k after that repair)
I've taken it to a local mechanic who wanted to do a head gasket repair, but Mazda did not recommend it.
I took it to John Andrew Mazda, and they quote me for a new engine replacement saying that's the only option and I have to pay for it.

I've also gone direct to mazda nz for assistance too who rejected it saying its an import. (though they had fixed the occasional thing in the past for me)
Any advice, or am I stuck now with a broken car!
I see a lot of people in this thread having some success at mazda, so interested to see if anyone had an import who had success too.
thanks, Darren!

Old 03-03-2022, 09:13 PM

150k and 9yrs old? That would be tough to get goodwill repairs for IMHO.

Old 03-04-2022, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by Newstart#007
Thank you . All, except last 2 services done through Dealer but all log book stamped. We're trying to ascertain the full diagnosis form Mazda and they are sending a report today, they are saying that engine was overfilled with oil causing oil to leak into coolant etc now the engine is cooked. The last person to touch the car was an independent mechanic who was asked to teat the oil light coming on and they replaced "vacuum pump faulty that was causing fault on the dash" My thoughts on this is that if engine oil was overfilled the engine oil light illuminating may well simply be a symptom with overfill being the cause. Do you know of other cases where this light has come on? any help appreciated. thank you.

Same thing that happened to my daughters 2014 CX5 Diesel. I’m in Perth and Mazda have just put a new engine it. All it cost us was a $900 diagnostic fee, better than a $12k+ bill! Took 3weeks all up.

Old 03-06-2022, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
150k and 9yrs old? That would be tough to get goodwill repairs for IMHO.
Yes, true though if the engine has known issues I was interested if any other users will similar ages of their 2,2 CX5 had any success. I've only owned less than 4 years. I will keep trying, at this stage nobody wants to attempt to fix the head gasket which Mazda NZ advised is the most reliable and economic repair!

Old 03-06-2022, 03:07 PM
Default No diesel here!

Originally Posted by Disgruntled Diesel
Wow! this was a bad idea and that explains why they only brought the diesel model into Canada for 1 year.
Anybody else with me on this bad experience?
I almost feel guilty saying that I dodged that bullet when I bought my 2019 Signature with 2.5 Turbo ... the dealership in Saskatoon had a diesel on the lot at the time and I was tempted, but in the end choose to go with the gasoline engine. No regrets purchasing this CX-5 ... absolutely trouble free and reliable for two years now!!!!!

Quick Reply: CX5 Diesel engine issues