Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

CX5 Diesel engine issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2022, 08:07 PM

[QUOTE=grim_reaper;202700]Overfilling the oil won't cause it to leak into the coolant.

Oil light will only come on when the pressure is very very low.

These engines are well known for oil pressure problems..[/

Thanks for this. The dealer is adamant that the engine oil was overfilled and that caused the problem yet are not prepared to complete any formal report to that effect. This makes me nervous and suspicious. Equally the independent mechanic simply blames the dealer and cites the "fact" that there are over 20 of these vehicles at the dealer with the same problem. Defensive and unsubstantiated comments. I think its time to write or call both parties and seek to have them collaborate on the problem because my friend has done noting wrong and now both parties simply want to blame each other. Time for legal action through independent forum perhaps also. Thanks.

Old 03-09-2022, 05:57 AM
Super Moderator

I would be calling Mazda Australia NCS ( National customer services ) 1800 034 411 ( not sure if phone number is just general contact or actual NCS )

Old 03-09-2022, 07:08 PM

Thanks. I did this yesterday and the guy was defensive at the outset telling me it needs to be sorted with the dealer first. I will now start to up the ante with the dealer. One thing Mazda HO did slip up and say was that my friends car was recalled but no engine was replaced. He said some were....interesting.

I will ask for details of the work done when it was recalled. Customers should have to jump through hoops like this it's way too common in business these days. No one wants to own anything deflect and deny its pathetic.

Old 03-27-2022, 10:19 PM
MsM
Wink Oil Leak near Turbo

Hi CX5 owners and gurus,
I have a 2012 2.2 Diesel AWD with 160K on the clock. I'm the original owner, and it's had every replacement/recall under the sun. Mazda Aus have been fabulous in terms of covering the majority of the costs for the interesting array of issues this car has thrown at me. My ability to argue with a dealer regarding 'known fault', 'fit for purpose', and my service history with dealers has been helpful too. I've just paid to have the rear diff brushes replaced, and something else - that I put down to wear and tear, but could be wrong. I'm now having an issue with the park sensor, and the car not turning off fully or recognising the key. Again, probably wear and tear for an almost 10 year old car, so I'm ok to cop that cost - although I have now seen it on later models in this forum. My issue is a persistent small oil leak of a few drips here and there. The techs think it's coming from the somewhere near the turbo, so will need to take the motor out for a full diagnosis. Given the issues with the motor, and everything else associated with the turbo and oil, I don't think this should be fully at my cost. I've asked the dealer for the request to be put through to Mazda Aus, but am yet to hear back. Any advice and tips would be gratefully received as to whether this is yet another known fault with the poor old original 2012 CX5 diesel. I can't afford to keep paying for repairs to the car, but am also on maternity leave so need a reliable car and can't exactly afford a new one right now either.
Thanks!

Old 03-28-2022, 05:53 PM

hi all

I'm the 2nd owner of 2012 2.2l diesel with 230k on the clock, engine replaced at 144k.

Engine light has been coming on intermittently, some of the time with the turbo cutting out instantly, other times there's a slight lag when accelerating before the turbo kicks back in... The fault often sticks around for a day or two before coming good..

The local mechanic recommended a new turbo boost sensor, had that put in for $800 but the problem persists..

His thoughts are that it may need a new turbo completely costing 4k-ish, finding it hard to drop that kind of money on a 10 year old vehicle..

Is he missing anything here, are there any other avenues to get this resolved? Most appreciative for any help, my mechanical knowledge is a bit slim..

Old 03-30-2022, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

Trav, my advice is take it to Mazda for diagnosis.

Old 03-30-2022, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by MsM
Hi CX5 owners and gurus,
I have a 2012 2.2 Diesel AWD with 160K on the clock. I'm the original owner, and it's had every replacement/recall under the sun. Mazda Aus have been fabulous in terms of covering the majority of the costs for the interesting array of issues this car has thrown at me. My ability to argue with a dealer regarding 'known fault', 'fit for purpose', and my service history with dealers has been helpful too. I've just paid to have the rear diff brushes replaced, and something else - that I put down to wear and tear, but could be wrong. I'm now having an issue with the park sensor, and the car not turning off fully or recognising the key. Again, probably wear and tear for an almost 10 year old car, so I'm ok to cop that cost - although I have now seen it on later models in this forum. My issue is a persistent small oil leak of a few drips here and there. The techs think it's coming from the somewhere near the turbo, so will need to take the motor out for a full diagnosis. Given the issues with the motor, and everything else associated with the turbo and oil, I don't think this should be fully at my cost. I've asked the dealer for the request to be put through to Mazda Aus, but am yet to hear back. Any advice and tips would be gratefully received as to whether this is yet another known fault with the poor old original 2012 CX5 diesel. I can't afford to keep paying for repairs to the car, but am also on maternity leave so need a reliable car and can't exactly afford a new one right now either.
Thanks!
Park sensor issue is common on the earlier CX-5s. https://www.amazon.com.au/Genuine-OE...51660074&psc=1

Mazda won't be interested in a oil leak on a 10yr old vehicle. Not common, but not unheard of. There isn't alot of room around the turbo, but a good tech will be able to locate its origin. Yes dropping the motor is by far the easiest & quickest way to access the turbo.

Old 05-20-2022, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Info hunter
We have had a response from Mazda New Zealand regarding the replacement of the head gasket after sending them an email with references to web pages relating to the issue globally and insisting they cover the costs associated with these issues they have agreed to cover the costs. We told them that my mother in law purchased one at the same time, they said they cant fix it if its not broken, but have agreed to put it on record and will cover it should the problem arise. We mentioned we had had contact with someone in Gisborne with the same issue. They thought they knew who it was and said they will pay for theirs as well so it may pay to contact them while its still fresh. Thanks for the info and fingers crossed Mazda follow through. Good on them if they do.

Do you happen. to have a copy of the letter you sent or the links for info sent that youi would be willing to share??? Currently going through this now too with our 2015 CX-5 diesel

Old 06-28-2022, 03:03 AM

Hi all on this forum my name is Grant and have had an engine fail on my CX-5

I bought my fully serviced CX5 2012 TD at 75k mileage 4 years ago been great until the turbo pin broke in May this year.
It has been professionally serviced its entire life.
Mazda Dunedin have provided me a quote for 15K to replace the engine it has done 126K now with at least 60% of that long trip driving (over 2 hrs).
Mazda NZ are stonewalling me right now, the engine will arrive late August ex Japan, I have been borrowing cars from friends during this time as no loan vehicles are available (understandable given the time frame).
It is painfully obvious from this and other forums that these engines are not fit for purpose and are failing prematurely.
Mazda Australia have obviously bitten the bullet on numerous occasions and replace engines at their cost.

Anyone else in NZ have these issues and any success with Mazda NZ on getting their engines repaired ?

Old 07-25-2022, 04:25 AM
Angry CX5 Diesel Fails <100,000Km

Hi, I own a 2014 model CX5 that I imported from Japan at < 50,000Km. Took out a 4 year warranty that expired 3 weeks ago. I have the car serviced every 10,000 Km and always use the expensive fully synthetic oil.
Four daya ago I was travelling from Hamilton to Tauranga and noticed when passing that the great torque I'm used to was gone - check the idiot lights and nothing showing. Continue driving and while going over the Kaimai ranges, passing in the right hand passing lane - lots of logging trucks crawling up the hill, suddenly No power.
Idiot lights are on - alternating between a red oil can and an orange engine with lots of Japanese writing.
Obviously I cannot stop in the middle of the road, the car appears to be in limp mode, eventually get into left lane, then limp up the hill until i find a place where I can pull off the road safely, talk about adrenaline rush with 40 tonne loggers passing and no room to move.
Get the car towed to my mechanic who finds the following fault codes.
Scan vehicle for fault codes gave:
P055F:00-E8 Engine Oil Pressure Out Of Range CMDTCs(More Information...)
P117A:00-28 Engine Oil Overtemperature - Forced Limited Power
CMDTCs(More Information...)
P055F:00-E8 Engine Oil Pressure Out Of Range Snapshot Data
P117A:00-28 Engine Oil Overtemperature - Forced Limited Power Snapshot
Data
P055F Engine Oil Pressure Out Of Range Freeze Frame Mode2

They advise engine replacement - really? at 98,000 Km? Idiot light for engine temp never came on.
My old VW golf TDI did 265,000 Km before the gearbox blew up (literally).
So I start searching and find this litany of woe - seems like I'm one of many experiencing issues.
My question is, how to proceed - the local Mazda agent isn't interested in anything directly imported from Japan, couldn't even reflash the software to make it speak English, (Audi have no such problem - got an S6 wagon from Japan sorted no problem) .
So how do I contact Mazda to deal with a problem that seems to be poor design and build related?
Thanks for letting me vent.

Quick Reply: CX5 Diesel engine issues