Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

CX5 Diesel engine issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2022, 01:57 AM
Default pretty stuck

I posted this separately but I now think here might be better, hopefully, we had our 2016 CX5 diesel engine semi rebuilt 18mths ago 40000km by Mazda in Canberra and now we're told by our local auto elec that the turbo boost is buggered. Mazda, where it is always serviced and where we bought it after trading in our Mazda 6, say they are too busy and don't take it there. We're 100km away and can't take it anywhere as it's cactus. No idea what we do?

Old 08-08-2022, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Zabdog
Hi all on this forum my name is Grant and have had an engine fail on my CX-5

I bought my fully serviced CX5 2012 TD at 75k mileage 4 years ago been great until the turbo pin broke in May this year.
It has been professionally serviced its entire life.
Mazda Dunedin have provided me a quote for 15K to replace the engine it has done 126K now with at least 60% of that long trip driving (over 2 hrs).
Mazda NZ are stonewalling me right now, the engine will arrive late August ex Japan, I have been borrowing cars from friends during this time as no loan vehicles are available (understandable given the time frame).
It is painfully obvious from this and other forums that these engines are not fit for purpose and are failing prematurely.
Mazda Australia have obviously bitten the bullet on numerous occasions and replace engines at their cost.

Anyone else in NZ have these issues and any success with Mazda NZ on getting their engines repaired ?
Hi Grant,

Have you had any traction on this? Particularly any luck with Mazda NZ? I'm in the same predicament as you.

Tina

Old 08-09-2022, 03:32 AM

Hi Tina
I have had no success with Mazda NZ will gladly discuss with you what I know so far
Cheers
Grant

Old 08-23-2022, 01:24 AM
Default NZ CX5 Engine issues facebook group

Originally Posted by Thrustco
I have problems with my 2012 Cx 5. Last year I had the well known oil problem which I managed to get Mazda to sort for me. Now, a year later, there is a suspect head gasket problem at 125,000 kms. Surely this is not right, and I am getting the sense that this too, is a known problem. My local dealership are hopeless, and I have gone to Mazda in Auckland for the diagnosis. They're not suggesting that this is another built in fault, but from your post I am suspecting it is. Is this a common and known fault in these cars?
Originally Posted by Info hunter
Would be keen to know how you get on. We are currently going through the same thing. In the shop getting head gasket checked. Had the issue of radiator cap failing to. Bit worried after looking into problem on line and finding its common. Mazda in the Bay of Plenty sure haven’t let on its a known issue just wanted us to pay $5k to do head gasket with no guarantee problems fixed. Did find that they provided a fix in some cases of de tuning by way of computer but don’t see that as a fair resolution.
Originally Posted by Emma Pearce
I am just enquiring what country you are in as I have a similar problem with carbon in the oil and leaky fuel injectors. Mines a diesel 2.2 2013. I am in NZ
Originally Posted by RPH
Hi all, recently I've brought a 2013 2.2 CX5 and unfortunately had to replace the turbo unit. Wish I had of done some more research before purchasing... Keen to know what the early signs of the head gasket issue are please.
Originally Posted by Jamfix69
I’m having the same problems with mine, can’t believe Australia is recalling them and New Zealand isn’t. Looks like two people have had luck with Mazda repairing the problem. Have you owned your vehicles from new? I bought mine second hand and have had nothing but issues. First was a exhaust sensor and have it go into limp mode, now multiple lights and overflowing overflow bottle. I’ve got 150k on mine but it’s been serviced every 10k, but it’s obviously a Mazda issue.
Originally Posted by paleale
G’day all

first off - many thanks to all of you who’ve fought the battle to improve customer service to rectify the dodgy engines. I bought my 2015 cx-5 diesel secondhand, after the 100k mark a few months ago in NZ, after returning back to NZ from Aussie.

Seems I’ve bought a lemon because I’ve only had it two months and I have already got the Master Warning Light.

Booked it in a week or two ago and got it seen to today. The 10k service costed me 370NZD (is that normal?). 200 odd to labour, 120 odd quid to oil and filter. Rest of cost allocated to tax etc. I’m happy to pay for quality tradesman to acquit maintenance on the car.

I dunno what they did to get rid of the Master Warning Light. I reported it to them, and they knew about it but have omitted it from the work report. The only thing is that it may have been cleared due to one of the recall problems.
Here is the link to what they did (not the actual report, but the recall items they accomplished), and what they still have to do to my cx5. I still have to give them my car for a day to do the vacuum pump and hose.
https://www.mazdacampaigncentre.co.n...9-063712PM.pdf

does anyone know if any of the mentioned items can cause the Master Warning Light to come on?

When I arrived back to nz, I was going to buy the new Subaru Impreza for a few grand more than this second hand cx5. Maybe I should’ve. The thing that put me off was that it was approx 30k nz for a basic model! The oz version comes with the bells and whistles (aesthetically pleasing too) for approx 27k aud, I.e. a similar price.
NZ are paying same price for the basic car as the price for bells and whistles cars for oz.

so when I read the discrepancy in service between Australia and New Zealand from the above posts, I’m not surprised. I’m not sure why there is inconsistency in standards there but there def is.
Originally Posted by MazdaMan127
Hi we have just had a blown head gasket.....107k 2015 ....seems like it is not uncommon ......any experiences
Originally Posted by Rebekah Wallace
Hi all,

I've been experiencing the issues re: vacuum pump in my 2012 CX-5 also and Mazda have said it needs replacing. However Mazda NZ won't put it through the recall due to mine being an import from Japan and advised I need to pay for my vacuum pump repair.

Does anyone know if the Consumer Guarantees Act means I can write to the car dealer I purchased from (they imported it in 2017) and request due to it being a known safety hazard that they need to repair it?

Secondly, if I pay for the vacuum pump repairs what is the likelihood that it's already caused further damage to other parts and now just a ticking time bomb?

Thanks
Originally Posted by Webmite
Here is a link to the recall notice issued in Taiwan. https://www.mazda6club.com/threads/i.../#post-5026588

For the recall, the major point is for the some SKYACTIV 2.2D engine, if vehicle keep on low RPM and high loading of diesel engine to running (for example: vehicle running in the uphill of road and vehicle gearbox keep high gear) then high pressure combustion gas may thru cylinder gasket leak to coolant passage to cause the coolant thru coolant reservoir spray. If the vehicles keep this condition and the coolant spray on the reservoir will cause to trigger engine protect process to limitation engine power output. In this situation vehicle speed will slowly down, may cause user safety concern and got high risk driving in the road.

I am in NZ and this is exactly what happened to my Japan imported CX-5. Mazda Japan and Mazda NZ are not willing to help and say they are not legally responsible.
Originally Posted by Bk5
Hi everybody, I have a nz new 2014 cx5 diesel that has come up with the Dtc P06de (engine oil pressure control circuit stuck on) which i checked using the forscan lite app on my phone. The oil is about halfway between the full and x mark on the dipstick, so I'm going to replace the oil tommorow I was wondering what the most common fault is usually when this code is thrown up? It sounds to me like the oil pressure sensor is faulty but by the sounds of what I've read on this forum it could be a lot of different things, just looking for a place to start. Cheers
Originally Posted by Sarah McBurney
Hmm we have a 2014 model and are dealing with Mazda NZ as the turbo is stuffed. $4k to fix that and then oil light kept coming on after driving over 80km. Mazda NZ won’t come to the party might have to email them the same format directing them to links online.
Originally Posted by lexmark44
Just having the same issues, 165K and serviced okay but blowing water into the overflow bottle. tried a new radiator cap and then had mechanic replace the thermostat. Took vehicle into Mazda dealership to repair and they are very quiet! No word after 1 week so I phoned and they said they are waiting on service records from Mazda.
They know that this is a fault in the design and are doing all they can to distance themselves from the problem.
Originally Posted by Joe90NZ
Hi everyone,
Our car is currently in with the local Mazda dealership (Fairview Motors) in Cambridge. Its done 140,000kms, mostly out of town running, and regularly serviced by both Mazda, and another mechanic.

Fairview's - Well they have had it for about a month now, as it was in for a warrant and rego, and to check on a recurring fault where the motor would not accelerate once it got hot, mostly on longer trips. - real handy when you got to pull out to pass someone and well, nothing....
I guess its limp mode...

Fairview's have been dealing with Mazda NZ, running all sorts of tests to diagnose and isolate the issue. After a few false starts; (i.e. "you need a new turbo" , we retested and its just a solenoid" - "happy days") we now get the call you need a new motor the head gasket is done...
I dont know how we went from A to C, but here we are.....

Mazda NZ say they are not paying to replace the solenoid, - well that's fine but what about my motor ? There seems to be a ton of evidence from here and around the world of the known gasket problem / coolant leak i think you call it, so my question is, do a rant at Fairview's to get Mazda to pay for a new engine or do I go to Mazda direct and remind them that we have the internet and forums these days ????
If its Mazda, does someone in here have a contract email address to start the ball rolling ?

Thanks for your time,

Joe.
Originally Posted by Faultfinder
I have a NZ New GSX model CX5 2.2 Diesel. I've had a few of the well known issues and here's the latest. Coolant not returning from expansion tank to radiator on cool down. Radiator appeared to be under pressure when engine running and after running. Used Combustion tester to confirm combustion in radiator. So confirmation head gasket is blown. 100% sure I have not overheated this engine. Really annoying as running well. Of course with pressure in cooling system after engine turned off coolant does not return to radiator and coolant overflows from expansion tank. Might have some questions to ask on here.
Cheers
Ross
Originally Posted by rickw
Hi Joe ,
I hope you are still following this thread . Can you tell me what year your Cx 5 is . I have a 2017 xc 5 2.2 diesel , and I am wondering if I am at risk of problems developing .I am also in Cambridge , and the car is serviced by Fairview .
Cheers Richard
Originally Posted by lisamaree1981
Would you be able to help with more details maybe the fault codes. I have my Aussie Mazda CX5 2103 Grand Touring Diesel here in NZ and this is happening to me right now but no one wants to accept responsibility for this. My car has done 128k. I would really like to push the issue but everyone is playing dumb about this fault with the exhaust sensor
Originally Posted by Alex1234
Hi, i have a 2013 NZ new CX5. Recently had the check engine light come on and the error codes P0471 Exhaust pressure sensor, P117a Engine oil over temperature - forced limited power, P2262 Turbo boost pressure not detected. I've had the sensor replaced by my local mechanic which has cleared all the codes and engine light BUT water is pumping into the overflow tank when hot and not draining back into the radiator.

After reading this thread and talking to the mechanic I'm sure it will be the head gasket and the camshaft and turbo's will likely need replacing also . It seems like a very common problem so I'm going to pull together information on how widespread the issue is and raise it with Mazda NZ. I'll keep you updated on how i get on

A friend of mines 2012 diesel CX-5 also S**t itself recently.
Originally Posted by jeeperscreepers
HELP!!
From Hamilton, NZ and have a NZ New 2016 Mazda CX-5 GSX DSL 2.2D/4WD/6AT purchased in 2020 from a car dealer in Auckland. Vehicle has 147,000kms on the clock and was serviced by our own mechanic at 129,000kms and 137,700kms. Currently has 147,000kms and was booked in for a service, however on the weekend the engine check light came on and the car went into limp mode, Luckily I just made it to my sisters house. We have a basic scanner which came up with the code PO524 - oil pressure too low. Oil levels were ok but we changed the oil anyway to see if that helped, but no use. After a few more checks and tests, calls to mechanic friends, long story short, the drive chain has snapped, probably due to a blocked oil pick up starving the engine of oil. So sadly we need a new engine (sigh). I have booked it in to Fairview Mazda to check over properly and diagnose the fault, but I want to know if anyone else has seen this before? We are out of the manufacture warranty period, however I'm adamant this is a manufacture issue especially reading this thread and the many engine issues others have experienced. Any help / advice would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Originally Posted by forwhatone
I'd love to hear how you get on. I have a 2016 CX-5 2.2 6AT Diesel, NZ New. Purchased mid 2020. I started having the engine light & low oil pressure light come on so would get it taken to the mechanics, they'd basically service it and clear the error codes and it'd be OK again... For a bit.
Its happened about 3 times now. Last time it went to a local Midas and they said it will cost 6-10K to fix. It has the increasing oil volume thing happening. I live 30km from town so it was having regular decent drives along SH1 not to mention to Auckland too. The mechanic at Midas did say that starting it and driving straight away can contribute to or cause some of this issue (I was doing an on call job where if you got called you got dressed and ran, so possible). Mine is still driveable (just) & mechanic said it might be good for two days of two years, couldn't say.
Any additional advice or direction would be greatly appreciated.
Originally Posted by darrent5
HI there
I've got a CX-5 2013 Diesel, about 150k and recently had the oil carbon issue and camshafts replaced followed by recently the engine overheating. (about 4-5k after that repair)
I've taken it to a local mechanic who wanted to do a head gasket repair, but Mazda did not recommend it.
I took it to John Andrew Mazda, and they quote me for a new engine replacement saying that's the only option and I have to pay for it.

I've also gone direct to mazda nz for assistance too who rejected it saying its an import. (though they had fixed the occasional thing in the past for me)
Any advice, or am I stuck now with a broken car!
I see a lot of people in this thread having some success at mazda, so interested to see if anyone had an import who had success too.
thanks, Darren!
Originally Posted by Zabdog
Hi all on this forum my name is Grant and have had an engine fail on my CX-5

I bought my fully serviced CX5 2012 TD at 75k mileage 4 years ago been great until the turbo pin broke in May this year.
It has been professionally serviced its entire life.
Mazda Dunedin have provided me a quote for 15K to replace the engine it has done 126K now with at least 60% of that long trip driving (over 2 hrs).
Mazda NZ are stonewalling me right now, the engine will arrive late August ex Japan, I have been borrowing cars from friends during this time as no loan vehicles are available (understandable given the time frame).
It is painfully obvious from this and other forums that these engines are not fit for purpose and are failing prematurely.
Mazda Australia have obviously bitten the bullet on numerous occasions and replace engines at their cost.

Anyone else in NZ have these issues and any success with Mazda NZ on getting their engines repaired ?
Originally Posted by RobKampen
Hi, I own a 2014 model CX5 that I imported from Japan at < 50,000Km. Took out a 4 year warranty that expired 3 weeks ago. I have the car serviced every 10,000 Km and always use the expensive fully synthetic oil.
Four daya ago I was travelling from Hamilton to Tauranga and noticed when passing that the great torque I'm used to was gone - check the idiot lights and nothing showing. Continue driving and while going over the Kaimai ranges, passing in the right hand passing lane - lots of logging trucks crawling up the hill, suddenly No power.
Idiot lights are on - alternating between a red oil can and an orange engine with lots of Japanese writing.
Obviously I cannot stop in the middle of the road, the car appears to be in limp mode, eventually get into left lane, then limp up the hill until i find a place where I can pull off the road safely, talk about adrenaline rush with 40 tonne loggers passing and no room to move.
Get the car towed to my mechanic who finds the following fault codes.
Scan vehicle for fault codes gave:
P055F:00-E8 Engine Oil Pressure Out Of Range CMDTCs(More Information...)
P117A:00-28 Engine Oil Overtemperature - Forced Limited Power
CMDTCs(More Information...)
P055F:00-E8 Engine Oil Pressure Out Of Range Snapshot Data
P117A:00-28 Engine Oil Overtemperature - Forced Limited Power Snapshot
Data
P055F Engine Oil Pressure Out Of Range Freeze Frame Mode2

They advise engine replacement - really? at 98,000 Km? Idiot light for engine temp never came on.
My old VW golf TDI did 265,000 Km before the gearbox blew up (literally).
So I start searching and find this litany of woe - seems like I'm one of many experiencing issues.
My question is, how to proceed - the local Mazda agent isn't interested in anything directly imported from Japan, couldn't even reflash the software to make it speak English, (Audi have no such problem - got an S6 wagon from Japan sorted no problem) .
So how do I contact Mazda to deal with a problem that seems to be poor design and build related?
Thanks for letting me vent.

Kia ora all Kiwis,

I am having Mazda engine issues (currently sitting at the local dealer not starting, at least $8K to repair!) and wanting to gather a group of people to have a louder voice and hold Mazda NZ accountable.

If you have Facebook, please join the group I have created on there so we can work together.

It would be great to hear from people who have current issues, who have had issues and Mazda hasn't come to the party, and people who had luck with Mazda being useful!

www.facebook.com/groups/nzmazdacx5/

Thanks,
Tina

Old 08-23-2022, 11:06 PM

Any chance you can personal message me with the references, have had the same issue with my2016 cx5 diesel, on a regular service trip, they said they noticiced the coolant resoirvoir over full so did a TK test, blown head gasket, Mazda only willing to cover parts, still want to charge me 5k for labour. Car being 1 year out of warranty. Tried to get a value on the vehicle, but several dealers have them on no buy list due to developing major mechanical issues. It’s time Mazda steps up to fix these manufacturers faults in the product. I need to take this higher. So if your able to help me in any way, that would be great. Thanks

Old 08-24-2022, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Vickithorburn
Any chance you can personal message me with the references, have had the same issue with my2016 cx5 diesel, on a regular service trip, they said they noticiced the coolant resoirvoir over full so did a TK test, blown head gasket, Mazda only willing to cover parts, still want to charge me 5k for labour. Car being 1 year out of warranty. Tried to get a value on the vehicle, but several dealers have them on no buy list due to developing major mechanical issues. It’s time Mazda steps up to fix these manufacturers faults in the product. I need to take this higher. So if your able to help me in any way, that would be great. Thanks
Hi, the forum won't let me PM you.
Are you able to join the private Facebook group and we can communicate on there www.facebook.com/groups/nzmazdacx5/

Old 08-24-2022, 08:23 AM

This will be a tough one with these cars so far down the line. If you are within the 5yr warranty maybe you have a shot, but if you are well outside this time frame.... Possibly a class action type proceeding (if you do this in New Zealand). They have time limits on warranties for a reason. They aren't going to guarantee it forever. Obviously there is an issue with the 2.2D motors but if they last longer than the warranty there is little you can do at that point. We are likely going to have a similar issue with the 2.5T motor in the US. Time will tell if there is a fix and if the issue occurs in many, or just a few cars.

Good luck with your campaign to have Mazda cover your cars.

Old 08-30-2022, 10:07 PM
Default Faultfinder

I have just completed the huge job of replacing the head gasket in my 2013 Mazda CX5 Diesel and it is now running well. I have decided to pass on all information and processes that I used during the job. This may take several posts so hope you can stick with me.
Firstly I need to disclose that I am not a mechanic but have been an electronic fault finder most of my working life. I have always had a healthy interest in cars since I was young and built my own GT40 replica race car that I raced in the Victorian State Race Series from 2004 to 2010 in Australia. I maintained this car myself and built several engines for it, so I know my way around a Ford 302 V8 Windsor.
However coming up against this complex Mazda engine I found it hard to believe the amount of dismantling that has to be done just to be able to remove the head from the block.

To backtrack a little I believe there are some problems with this engine and it seems a lot of owners have experienced at least one of them. Please let me know if I need to add more to the list.
1/ Diesel contamination of the oil ( If not noticed early enough can lead to catastrophic engine failure)

2/ Blown head Gasket/ Warped head ( I believe the gasket does not blow, but combustion is allowed to enter the cooling system due to the warped head)

3/ Large build up of carbon in - Intake manifold, intake ports, and the EGR components ( At least 50% of intake blocked on my engine, only found during strip down)

4/ Faulty Exhaust gas pressure sensor #1, and blocked up tube running up to this sensor ( found blocked tube while reassembling the engine)

Luckily I have not had the oil contamination and this could be because car has a good service history. I believe all owners should monitor oil level judiciously and change oil at more frequent intervals than specified, but keep an eye on the oil level, if it rises above the full level on dipstick get it checked and keep checking the level yourself.
Ok so I had the warped head problem (#3) on the list which forced me into taking action and embark on a six month journey to strip the engine and replace the head gasket. I will admit I suffered from low desire to keep working on it but wife forced me to give it priority.

Next I will share the journey
Ross

Old 02-12-2023, 03:43 PM

How did you get on with Mazda NZ?

Old 02-13-2023, 01:59 AM
Default How did I get on with Mazda NZ

Hi Kiwigirl, Mazda NZ did not offer any help at all. Pretty poor when you consider the car was NZ new and was serviced at Blackwells till it clocked up
up 100,000km. I serviced it myself through to 160,000 and I suppose that was their get out of jail card.

Quick Reply: CX5 Diesel engine issues