Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

CX5 Diesel engine issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
I would double check, I believe the "recall" is for carbon build up on the shutter valve, vacuum pump efficiency, PCM software update & fuel hose inspection. Unfortunately they aren't recalling the engine itself.
Grim I believe your in Australia, and may work for Mazda? Do you know what the recall was for in Australia regarding the cx 5 or even turbo engines? I spoke to Mazda and they said it was for the above like you said. Their not going to admit to problems with a head gasket due to the failing components of their engine.

Old 10-30-2019, 05:57 AM
Super Moderator

The OZ recall is for what I posted above. I know in OZ the warranty coverage for SH diesel engines is probably 99%, regardless of age of km's.
With a large number of non-dealership serviced diesel Mazda coming into the dealerships for the recall, there will be the chance, ( at least in OZ ) to catch engines in poor condition and most likely result in new engines. ( TBC )

With Mazda NZ having their heads in the sand, I don't see any improvement of care shown to NZ owners.

The recall is most likely directed from Japan.

Old 11-10-2019, 10:10 PM

Today I received in the post a recall notice for the car that caused me all this grief! The problem? Surprise, surprise, the injectors, which as we all know are the root cause of most of the problems discussed in this forum. After a long list of problems they might cause, they slip in 'mechanical damage to the engine...'. The timing of this, so soon after my own difficulties, is not particularly helpful to me, but I like to think that my dealings with their engineers and CEO over the Winter may have had some influence. Good luck to those of you who have contacted me recently about your problems.

Old 11-18-2019, 05:32 AM

G’day all

first off - many thanks to all of you who’ve fought the battle to improve customer service to rectify the dodgy engines. I bought my 2015 cx-5 diesel secondhand, after the 100k mark a few months ago in NZ, after returning back to NZ from Aussie.

Seems I’ve bought a lemon because I’ve only had it two months and I have already got the Master Warning Light.

Booked it in a week or two ago and got it seen to today. The 10k service costed me 370NZD (is that normal?). 200 odd to labour, 120 odd quid to oil and filter. Rest of cost allocated to tax etc. I’m happy to pay for quality tradesman to acquit maintenance on the car.

I dunno what they did to get rid of the Master Warning Light. I reported it to them, and they knew about it but have omitted it from the work report. The only thing is that it may have been cleared due to one of the recall problems.
Here is the link to what they did (not the actual report, but the recall items they accomplished), and what they still have to do to my cx5. I still have to give them my car for a day to do the vacuum pump and hose.
https://www.mazdacampaigncentre.co.n...9-063712PM.pdf

does anyone know if any of the mentioned items can cause the Master Warning Light to come on?

When I arrived back to nz, I was going to buy the new Subaru Impreza for a few grand more than this second hand cx5. Maybe I should’ve. The thing that put me off was that it was approx 30k nz for a basic model! The oz version comes with the bells and whistles (aesthetically pleasing too) for approx 27k aud, I.e. a similar price.
NZ are paying same price for the basic car as the price for bells and whistles cars for oz.

so when I read the discrepancy in service between Australia and New Zealand from the above posts, I’m not surprised. I’m not sure why there is inconsistency in standards there but there def is.

Last edited by paleale; 11-18-2019 at 06:19 AM.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:55 AM

My last service cost $387, $93 +GST for oil. I'm not sure if my issues with the Master Warning Light are in this thread, but I have had some trouble with lights. My first was the Check Engine Light, which took several trips to fix....it needed a 1/4 turn on the earth terminal at the battery! The next was the Master Warning Light, and that was the oil pump. The initial cause is apparently the injector problem, letting diesel into the oil. The problem doesn't stop there, it eventually takes out the camshaft amongst other things. I had another warning (may have been the same one) when the Exhaust Sensor(can't quite remember the real name) went. Not a huge fix, but I suspect also related to the oil problem. You should ask for the error codes from the diagnostic report as well as what they did to get rid of the Master Warning Light. My local dealers were reluctant to part with the diagnostic report but with the error code numbers you could ask the technicians at Mazda NZ if there is anything further that should concern you. I suspect that damage was already done in mine after the oil pump problem, which is why the head gasket went. The mechanics here were at pains to point out that the turbo and camshaft were both seriously worn (which again I suspect were caused by the initial problem). So my feeling is that, once one of these problems starts, it could have an ongoing impact further down the line.

Old 11-18-2019, 12:37 PM

Thanks mate. Good to know the figures for servicing is ball park.

When you got the Master Warning Light for the pump, was it accompanied by any other message on either the 'Multi Information Display' (Instrument cluster display) or on the Centre Display (centre of dashboard)?

Mine just had the Master Warning Light with the generic 'vehicle system malfunction' on the MID and a message on the Centre Display 'Vehicle System Malfunction - have the vehicle checked by a dealer immediately'. it was about a week before the car could be checked because the Mazda service centres were chock-a-block.

There was no indication of WHAT the precise problem was with my 2015 a/t cx5 diesel as far as all these bull crap indications go.

Thanks for the recommendation about the error codes (they call them DTC's?). Hopefully they can help me with that when I take it in for the vacuum pump and hose replacement.

With respect to your problems - was your car getting serviced/inspected by Mazda BEFORE all this happened? Only reason I ask is, if it weren't being inspected by Mazda people, they may miss the problems. But I'm assuming you bought yours new, so I also assume you took the car to Mazda who in my opinion, should've picked up on all that broken stuff BEFORE it happened.

cheers

Old 11-18-2019, 05:04 PM

I don't recall getting any other indicators aside from the main light. Yes, I suspect DTC might be the name. These were the codes I was getting with the oil pump problem : P06DE and P117A error codes. I have never seen a Vehicle System Malfunction warning.

I bought mine second hand, had it serviced a couple of times at my local Mazda dealership but they weren't really up to speed on this motor, whereas I suspect in Auckland you will see more experienced technicians. Both with this problem and the head gasket problem I had a service in the couple of weeks before they happened. My feeling is that Mazda knew about these problems early but were hoping it wouldn't be noticed as a design fault, and they could get away with it one by one. However, Aussie seem to have accepted it, there appears to be pressure rising in other places like Taiwan and Thailand where people are getting organised and information is being disseminated, and as it became more public they eventually caved here. Just be aware that once the problem starts, it looks like there is the possibility that damage has been done further down the line and maybe other things might bite you in the **** later, as with my case.

Old 11-18-2019, 08:05 PM

Bugger. None of that was great to read, haha. I've really picked a lemon.

It's unfortunate. I drove the Mazda 3 sp23 2005 for so long, that thing was bulletproof. did all of its servicing myself and worked it relatively hard. I thought id be choosing another solid build in sticking with Mazda and going with the cx5 2015 diesel.

Well, I hope you're not out of pocket for those issues - there seems to be reasonable justification to clean them out for not picking up the problems before they occurred if you are.

As our oz compatriot says, Mazda NZ seem to have their heads buried in the sand. I'm hoping my engine doesn't give out on me, because I do a lot of driving (I like to swim/snorkel/dive) around the north island - I've put 5k on the dial in the 2 months ive had the lemon.

im in the predicament now, like everyone else, of off loading the car. hmmm

Old 11-18-2019, 09:01 PM

They paid for most of the work but the local dealer tried to hammer me on the trade in price because they reckoned it was more problems waiting to happen. I also managed to get them to give me a reasonable discount on a new one (I think they've now designed the problems out). I'll drive this one a few years and then see what electric ones are looking like. Drop in for a dive if you're in Tolaga Bay!

Old 11-19-2019, 01:31 AM

No worries. Fair enough.

Yep, Tolaga Bay is on the list but ill be buggered if i know when ill get there, i keep getting distracted.

Cheers mate

Quick Reply: CX5 Diesel engine issues