Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

CX5 Diesel engine issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2019, 12:14 PM
RPH

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Interesting. Mazda Australia replaces the entire engine & turbo when the head gasket blows. Looks like Mazda NZ are tight *****.
Hi, is it cheaper for Mazda just to change out entire engine, rather than deal with all 3 common issues - camshaft, turbo and head gasket failures?
Also what do you believe is the root cause for turbo failure??
Thanks

Old 12-01-2019, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by RPH
Hi, is it cheaper for Mazda just to change out entire engine, rather than deal with all 3 common issues - camshaft, turbo and head gasket failures?
Also what do you believe is the root cause for turbo failure??
Thanks
unsure of the metrics, but it is sound engineering practice and typical of organisations with a healthy engineering culture.

engine changes permit overhaul of an engine dislocated from the car permitting better access and an ability to inspect and replace faulty equipment without the constraint of time and access, within reason.
this is as opposed to conducting inspections and maintenance on the engine, as installed in the engine bay (constrained by return time to customer and/or access).

the targeted changing is typically representative of an organisation without a healthy engineering culture, ie. Either the organisation is cash strapped and/or inexperienced enough to know which option is best taking into account customer retention, sarisfaction, risk mitigation and sound risk management.

anyone who has swung a spanner knows the Australian method is the most desirable one.

Old 12-01-2019, 05:04 AM
Super Moderator

Turbo replacement is due to the diluted & combustion contaminated oil flowing thru them.

Its interesting to know when the SH engine recall goes live, Mazda Australia won't be replacing engines unless its totally rooted. Saying that, we've had a handful of unofficial recalls happen the last two weeks and its going to be a **** fight when we find more issues than covered in the recall. Time will tell.

Old 12-04-2019, 10:35 PM
RPH

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Turbo replacement is due to the diluted & combustion contaminated oil flowing thru them.

Its interesting to know when the SH engine recall goes live, Mazda Australia won't be replacing engines unless its totally rooted. Saying that, we've had a handful of unofficial recalls happen the last two weeks and its going to be a **** fight when we find more issues than covered in the recall. Time will tell.
Hi Grim, what SH engine recall are you referring to? Here in NZ, my CX5 has recently undergone a recall for I think it was something to do with egr valve carbon build up potentially causing safety issue...
I'm wondering if there's another recall in pipeline...?

Old 12-05-2019, 05:09 AM
Super Moderator

Same recall, slightly different procedure from country to country. Vacuum pump test/inspection, shutter valve inspection due to carbon build up, fuel injector seals & some random fuel hose/line.

Old 12-05-2019, 12:03 PM

The fuel injector seals are the precursor to the oil pump, camshaft, and turbo problems aren't they, with diesel leaking through to the oil? If so, one would hope that if they find the injector seals to be faulty, they would investigate further, but I guess that requires that the mechanic is well versed in the situation. To me, a big, frightening recall would be bad PR, but once you have the car in on the basis of something related but not sounding too bad you can discreetly investigate the more serious things. Maybe I'm just reading too much into it...

Old 12-06-2019, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator

Adding carbon & combustion gasses to the oil is bad news for the engine & components. ( basically turns the oil into a grinding paste )

Camshaft is a issue of incorrect metal toughness.

Old 12-13-2019, 05:04 AM
Default Blown head gasket 2015 diesel cx5

2015 cx5 diesel...head gasket blew at 106000km ....Mazda replaced engine . I am now worried that they may have de powered the engine.....is that part of the Mazda fix ?

Turbo was not replaced....what is the issue with the turbo ?

Someone also suggested that the catalytic converter is problematic.... is that another known issue?

Last edited by MazdaMan127; 12-13-2019 at 05:12 AM.
Old 12-13-2019, 12:45 PM

Mine went at 106K, they replaced the head gasket and gave it back with a warning that the turbo was in a bad way. It ran very well however, and even had improved fuel consumption on its return.

Old 12-13-2019, 01:00 PM
RPH

Originally Posted by MazdaMan127
2015 cx5 diesel...head gasket blew at 106000km ....Mazda replaced engine . I am now worried that they may have de powered the engine.....is that part of the Mazda fix ?

Turbo was not replaced....what is the issue with the turbo ?

Someone also suggested that the catalytic converter is problematic.... is that another known issue?
Hi what part of the world are you?

Mazda are currently addressing my head gasket.

About 2 months ago I had the turbo units replaced. Shafts had terrible amounts of end play due to bushes being worn out which is caused by the reasons stated above by Grim.

Quick Reply: CX5 Diesel engine issues