Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

CX5 Diesel engine issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2019, 12:46 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by MazdaMan127
2015 cx5 diesel...head gasket blew at 106000km ....Mazda replaced engine . I am now worried that they may have de powered the engine.....is that part of the Mazda fix ?

Turbo was not replaced....what is the issue with the turbo ?

Someone also suggested that the catalytic converter is problematic.... is that another known issue?
Turbos suffer from damage from contaminated oil.

Never seen a catalytic converter fail on a CX-5 yet.

Old 12-31-2019, 12:41 PM

Are there any owners here with the KE 2016.5 updated model having the same issues with camshaft, head gasket, or turbo problems? I own one and been noticing some oil dilution, maybe 1/3 of the way to the X mark in 5k km of usage. I'm due for an oil change since we have 6 month intervals in the Philippines.

Reading all these comments is making me think on selling it since it's got 58k already on the odometer and most are self-destructing as early as 80K. I don't mind some losses due to early depreciation if it can save me a huge headache in the future.

Old 12-31-2019, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

I was informed by Mazda that, what people keep referring to as the 2016.5 CX-5 engine was a redesigned/refined version, free from camshaft, head gasket & turbo issues. Time will tell.

Old 01-03-2020, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
I was informed by Mazda that, what people keep referring to as the 2016.5 CX-5 engine was a redesigned/refined version, free from camshaft, head gasket & turbo issues. Time will tell.
I'm just trying to reach out to some owners here who might have run 100k or more with their 2016-updated diesel CX-5 with little to no problems. It would be reassuring to hear ownership feedback.

Old 01-15-2020, 03:58 AM
Default Gasket issues

Originally Posted by Stan2001
Hi, looking for some help

I have a 2013 CX-5 with the head gasket issue, car was only serviced by Mazda on the first service and has been serviced by a mechanic every since, however 1 service was missed.

Car has 160k klm, has anyone had any luck getting mazda to cover the costs of the engine replacement even though it wasn't serviced by them?

My understanding is the engine is not fit for purpose and it's a known issue with the earlier CX-5, I just wanted to see if there is anyone else had a similar experience before I take it into Mazda.

Any advice would be great, thanks in advance.
what was your outcome with this as I have just discovered I have same issue

Old 01-15-2020, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Kirsten Lamb
what was your outcome with this as I have just discovered I have same issue
Originally Posted by CX5gal
Did you get any indication that your engine was overheating?
I didn’t no

Old 01-15-2020, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by CX5gal
Did you get any indication that your engine was overheating?
no I didn’t on mine

Old 01-15-2020, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Thrustco
I just had Mazda pay for the cost of the head gasket as well (they paid for the oil problem a year ago also).
do you mind if I ask was it still under warranty? How many klms. I’m praying they do this for me, but I didn’t purchase new I bought it from original owner 2 years ago. Will this matter?

Old 01-17-2020, 02:40 AM
Super Moderator

As long as the vehicle has a strong service history, Mazda Australia will look after you.

Old 01-19-2020, 07:04 PM
Default Mazda CX5 diesel

Hi guys,
I am looking at purchasing a 2014 CX5 that has had the engine replaced due to diesel issues. Mazda paid $16,000 to replace engine. Has receipts, local car owner. I love the car but after reading all your posts I am worried about purchsing it. Would the new engine fix the problem?

Quick Reply: CX5 Diesel engine issues