Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

CX5 diesel rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2021, 05:12 PM
Default CX5 diesel rough idle

Hi all
First time poster so apologies if i stuff up....
I have a hypothetical question from a friend of mine....

My friend purchased a late 2014 CX5 2.2 around 2019 with 60,000 klm for his wife several years back. His wife only does about 15 klms a day but thats broken up across 4 trips( home for lunch) so the car gets very short drives......
Now after purchase my friend became aware of the diesel problems and the car was treated to a tune from a reputable tuner.

The car since then performed great for a few years. About a year back it went in for an engine recall ( shutter vale etc) on return an engine light was experienced and i believe it had to go back to the tuning company as Mazda probably wiped the tune.
Shortly after this his wife reports the engine idling funny. It appears occasionally when at idle it develops what feels like a miss and the idle drops slightly.It sounds like its running on three cylinders. Simply lifting your foot off the break and rolling away is enough for the engine stutter to disappear.
It also seems to be accompanied with a richer running engine with more black soot when it has this miss and complaints from the kids about a smelly car....
A recent non Mazda service could not identify an issue but annoyingly the stutter or rough idle did not happen for them during the service.

The car now has 95,000 klm.
My poor friend purchased what he thought was a good car but was sadly only advised by the Mazda dealer after purchase that he should have purchased a petrol version due low klms( they were told about the low klms use we had planned). With the dealer happy to trade it in months after selling it to him in the first place. This salesman has since been let go for other poor performances.
Then my poor friend got the tune done while not being advised that its legality may be questionable. But from all reports this should not be causing any problems. It should be helping.
Now my poor friend has a engine idle problem that may be caused by the recall( or damage during access ) or the retune shortly after of which he cant identify which caused the stutter. what are his options ???

So my questions.
1# Has anyone experienced a diesel stutter/miss like condition at idle that is sporadic and disappears quickly as soon a s you move or lift off the brake ?
2# could this be caused by the tune( tuner says no way)
3# should my friend just cut his losses. reverse the tune rework and sell the car ( with or without ongoing idle issue)

Outside of this it has been a great car and our dealings with Mazda in general have been great.

Any help would be great.

Cheers

Old 03-13-2022, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by devo76
Hi all
First time poster so apologies if i stuff up....
I have a hypothetical question from a friend of mine....

My friend purchased a late 2014 CX5 2.2 around 2019 with 60,000 klm for his wife several years back. His wife only does about 15 klms a day but thats broken up across 4 trips( home for lunch) so the car gets very short drives......
Now after purchase my friend became aware of the diesel problems and the car was treated to a tune from a reputable tuner.

The car since then performed great for a few years. About a year back it went in for an engine recall ( shutter vale etc) on return an engine light was experienced and i believe it had to go back to the tuning company as Mazda probably wiped the tune.
Shortly after this his wife reports the engine idling funny. It appears occasionally when at idle it develops what feels like a miss and the idle drops slightly.It sounds like its running on three cylinders. Simply lifting your foot off the break and rolling away is enough for the engine stutter to disappear.
It also seems to be accompanied with a richer running engine with more black soot when it has this miss and complaints from the kids about a smelly car....
A recent non Mazda service could not identify an issue but annoyingly the stutter or rough idle did not happen for them during the service.

The car now has 95,000 klm.
My poor friend purchased what he thought was a good car but was sadly only advised by the Mazda dealer after purchase that he should have purchased a petrol version due low klms( they were told about the low klms use we had planned). With the dealer happy to trade it in months after selling it to him in the first place. This salesman has since been let go for other poor performances.
Then my poor friend got the tune done while not being advised that its legality may be questionable. But from all reports this should not be causing any problems. It should be helping.
Now my poor friend has a engine idle problem that may be caused by the recall( or damage during access ) or the retune shortly after of which he cant identify which caused the stutter. what are his options ???

So my questions.
1# Has anyone experienced a diesel stutter/miss like condition at idle that is sporadic and disappears quickly as soon a s you move or lift off the brake ?
2# could this be caused by the tune( tuner says no way)
3# should my friend just cut his losses. reverse the tune rework and sell the car ( with or without ongoing idle issue)

Outside of this it has been a great car and our dealings with Mazda in general have been great.

Any help would be great.

Cheers
Any help on this ?
We have since removed and cleaned the inlet manifold which was very grubby. Replaced the Maf sensor. But still has a rough idle at times with a very a noticeable diesel or overfull smell.
not sure where to go from here. Maybe injectors or throttle body but that's getting into bigger $$$ for a maybe fix.

Old 05-30-2022, 01:54 PM

Hello.
Did you manage to somehow solve the problem?

Old 05-30-2022, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Stein-cx5
Hello.
Did you manage to somehow solve the problem?
yes. It's all good now. its was a chain of events.
as suspected this car had a tune.
When it got recalled for the engine intake it wiped the tune. The car was taken back to mechanic who( at a guess) reinstalled tune but stuffed around with the EGR system causing it to stay open full time. This fouled up the intake quickly causing the problem.
end of the story. Inlets cleaned. New MAF sensor and tune returned to standard. All good.
Cheers