Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Cx5 engine failure, avoid this model

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2023, 03:19 AM
Default Cx5 engine failure, avoid this model

My daughter bought a 3 year old cx5, she has had it just over 2 years. It has done just over 50k miles and has a full service history. The cylinder head has cracked resulting in total engine failure and a bill of £10k, for a car worth perhaps £12k. Its 3 months out of warranty and mazda have been completely and utterly unhelpful.

I would advise anyone looking at a cx5 and mazda in general to look elsewhere.

A failure of this type after 50k miles is completely unacceptable on a modern car.

Do not buy a cx5!

Old 07-07-2023, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by RobinColes
My daughter bought a 3 year old cx5, she has had it just over 2 years. It has done just over 50k miles and has a full service history. The cylinder head has cracked resulting in total engine failure and a bill of £10k, for a car worth perhaps £12k. Its 3 months out of warranty and mazda have been completely and utterly unhelpful.

A failure of this type after 50k miles is completely unacceptable on a modern car.

Do not buy a cx5!
I partially agree with your statement.
The older CX-5 cylinder head defect is a design/manufacture problem and leaves CX-5 owners playing a game of musical chairs to see who gets stuck with it. And imo, it is unacceptable for engines to blow under 100 k miles. Luckily mine failed and was replaced under warranty.

As it sounds as you are not in USA, is there any governmental agency you can file complaint with? Have you tried to see if they(mazda) would provide an new engine at cost and seen if dealer will cut break on labor? Try again! Have you got labor estimates from some other local mechanics(not dealers) to compare engine installation charges? Normally I'd say get a junkyard engine but the vehicle is only 5 years old and the salvage yards engines will likely have the same defect. So you definitely need a new engine install.

In the future, for any New vehicles you purchase, either
1. buy New,
2. buy CPO used with extended warranty or
3. buy used 10 year old clunkers and save your money up.

​​also, usually there is a warning to stop driving before the engine is completely damaged. Low engine oil warnings, Smoke, noise, low coolant warnings, etc. Are you sure the engine was completely damaged? Did she continues to drive it while low on oil? Maybe have another mechanic check and see if it just needs the head versus a New engine.

It is disappointing mazda hasn't stepped up to fix the cylinder head / engine failures once they occur, even though outside the warranty.
they really should extend the powertrain warranty to 100 k miles for older CX-5. But at this point, doubt that will happen.
​​​​​​
but, I disagree that one shouldn't consider a newer CX5. The engine defects were supposedly fixed and it is one of the safest SUVs on the market with great acceleration and handling. Imo, Anyone looking for a CX5 should get a 2021 or newer models.
​​​​

Last edited by kilroy22; 07-07-2023 at 05:50 AM.
Old 07-07-2023, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by kilroy22
I partially agree with your statement.
The older CX-5 cylinder head defect is a design/manufacture problem and leaves CX-5 owners playing a game of musical chairs to see who gets stuck with it. And imo, it is unacceptable for engines to blow under 100 k miles. Luckily mine failed and was replaced under warranty.

As it sounds as you are not in USA, is there any governmental agency you can file complaint with? Have you tried to see if they(mazda) would provide an new engine at cost and seen if dealer will cut break on labor? Try again! Have you got labor estimates from some other local mechanics(not dealers) to compare engine installation charges? Normally I'd say get a junkyard engine but the vehicle is only 5 years old and the salvage yards engines will likely have the same defect. So you definitely need a new engine install.

In the future, for any New vehicles you purchase, either
1. buy New,
2. buy CPO used with extended warranty or
3. buy used 10 year old clunkers and save your money up.

​​also, usually there is a warning to stop driving before the engine is completely damaged. Low engine oil warnings, Smoke, noise, low coolant warnings, etc. Are you sure the engine was completely damaged? Did she continues to drive it while low on oil? Maybe have another mechanic check and see if it just needs the head versus a New engine.

It is disappointing mazda hasn't stepped up to fix the cylinder head / engine failures once they occur, even though outside the warranty.
they really should extend the powertrain warranty to 100 k miles for older CX-5. But at this point, doubt that will happen.
​​​​​​
but, I disagree that one shouldn't consider a newer CX5. The engine defects were supposedly fixed and it is one of the safest SUVs on the market with great acceleration and handling. Imo, Anyone looking for a CX5 should get a 2021 or newer models.
​​​​
Thanks for your reply.

Basically other than pursuing mazda through misselling, everything you suggest has been tried, including numerous separate, and some independent, garages.

The probblem manifested itself as the engine over heating, with the warning light coming on and the car being pulled over. As my daughter has a 2 year old and the breakdown occured on a country road, she waited until the engine cooled down and then started the car to drive the 5 miles home. There was no oil warning light,but the engine overheated again in that time.

Mazda have been totally useless, offering no help whatsoever, basically washing their hands of it all. On that basis alone I would strongly advise others to steer clear of mazda. I am personally disgusted with them

Old 07-07-2023, 06:22 AM

Thanks for your reply.

Basically other than pursuing mazda through misselling, everything you suggest has been tried, including numerous separate, and some independent, garages.

The probblem manifested itself as the engine over heating, with the warning light coming on and the car being pulled over. As my daughter has a 2 year old and the breakdown occured on a country road, she waited until the engine cooled down and then started the car to drive the 5 miles home. There was no oil warning light,but the engine overheated again in that time.

Mazda have been totally useless, offering no help whatsoever, basically washing their hands of it all. On that basis alone I would strongly advise others to steer clear of mazda. I am personally disgusted with them
Understood.

The only other thing you can do is check the salvage yard and maybe, just maybe they have a wrecked 2021, 2022 or 2023 that you could get the engine. Those used engines will probably run between $2000 and $3000 but they should be free of the cylinder head defect problem and cheaper than new engine.

Old 07-07-2023, 10:42 AM

Do not buy a cx5!
Oh and by the way, the mazda dealer has offered her £500 for the car, what a bunch of scoundrels

Old 07-07-2023, 02:53 PM
Cool

I sympathize with the OP, such shabby treatment is abominable and he has every reason to be incensed. But joining a Mazda enthusiast forum just to advise us not to buy a Mazda is, well, rather odd if you think about it. Did he expect to change anyone’s mind? Will any of us sell our Mazdas and not buy another based on his strong recommendation? I suspect not.

Mazda is hardly alone in selling a defective “modern car”. Toyota, Ford, Honda…all and more have sold “modern cars” with major defects. How they handle those problems is what really matters. It appears, from the OP’s testimony anyway, that Mazda has failed him.

https://www.calilemonlawyers.com/dan...ems-in-toyota/

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/...s-engine-fires

https://carbrain.com/blog/honda-cr-v-engine-problems

Last edited by CarpeDiem; 07-07-2023 at 02:57 PM.
Old 07-07-2023, 05:29 PM

I have to say I am one that wonder what the purpose is for a new member to join and beetch about their MAZDA?
If you join and need advise and help with issues that one thing but just to join to talk smack and downpour of negativity. I say go join one of the other MAZDA forums and see how far it gets. My guess that thread and member don't last! At least on this forum it worth a ...

Old 07-07-2023, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
I have to say I am one that wonder what the purpose is for a new member to join and beetch about their MAZDA?
If you join and need advise and help with issues that one thing but just to join to talk smack and downpour of negativity. I say go join one of the other MAZDA forums and see how far it gets. My guess that thread and member don't last! At least on this forum it worth a ...
I never like hearing about someone having major failure issues - such as is described here - That said,
Im in agreement with Callisto on this one - When I read the post a few things didnt make sense - As its title is " Avoid this model "
Ok ...Which one ?
#-1 - What year is the vehicle ? #2 Which engine ...turbo ?, Diesel ( looks like another country ) or Naturally aspirated ? - #3 Where was the vehicle purchased ...because IF it were a certified Mazda dealer it most likely would have a CPO warranty ( certified pre-owned )- or the option for a few bucks more .

.and the equivilant of an extended warranty which can be purchased from Mazda if the vehicle is under 3/36 old . Sometimes not ...but where it came from is very relevant -

It sounds like its a private sale as I hear zero about returning to the place of purchase ?

These are key pieces of information which can be used to compare against the exact same models history.
Then of course , a new member without any history of participation in the forum- .
The other consideration is buying used - and unfortunatly , chain of custody on a vehicle is paramount - Was it a rental ? Was it in an accident that was not reported , Was it abused and driven irresponsibly- by the previous OR current owner ?
So the extremity of the calim to never buy a CX-5 is absurd based on the CX-5s history going on 8 years+ ..-ish.
Also if the vehicle is out of warranty ...its out of warranty ...No manufacturer Im aware of would retroactively reinstate a warranty .....unless there are documented issuses which are reoccuring and fall into lemon law , or similar legal parameters -So it seems very unusual to hear of a sudden failure of this nature with no prior indicators of an impending breakdown.

Mazda just became the most reliable brand over the prior title holder Toyota .
Whats the number #1 selling vehicle Mazda makes ....oh , yes ....the CX-5 .

So something here just dosent add up.

Last edited by retread888; 07-07-2023 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-08-2023, 08:37 AM

You don't like your daughter's Mazda.
Then you tell us she drove the vehicle after the coolant light came on (which is against the manufacturer's owner's manual).
Then you have the audacity to come on a Mazda forum website to tell Mazda users not to buy a Mazda.
You do not drive any modern vehicle no matter what manufacturer after the coolant light comes on, until the reason why it came on has been found and corrected.
You get your vehicle towed, matters not where it is or if there are or aren't young children present.
Hopefully your daughter and you have learned a lesson.

Old 07-08-2023, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by retread888
As its title is " Avoid this model "
Ok ...Which one ?
#-1 - What year is the vehicle ? #2 Which engine ...turbo ?, Diesel ( looks like another country ) or Naturally aspirated ? - #3 Where was the vehicle purchased

The other consideration is buying used - and unfortunatly , chain of custody on a vehicle is paramount - Was it a rental ? Was it in an accident that was not reported , Was it abused and driven irresponsibly- by the previous OR current owner ?

Also if the vehicle is out of warranty ...its out of warranty ...No manufacturer Im aware of would retroactively reinstate a warranty .....unless there are documented issuses which are reoccuring and fall into lemon law , or similar legal parameters -So it seems very unusual to hear of a sudden failure of this nature with no prior indicators of an impending breakdown.

Mazda just became the most reliable brand over the prior title holder Toyota .
Whats the number #1 selling vehicle Mazda makes ....oh , yes ....the CX-5 .

So something here just dosent add up.
That about covers it.

Quick Reply: Cx5 engine failure, avoid this model