Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Cx5 Loss of Power then regains after billows of black smoke!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 12:20 PM
Default Cx5 Loss of Power then regains after billows of black smoke!

Hi Can anyone help or experienced this issue
2012 2.2 skyactive sport cx5 UK 76k miles
Random loss of power feels like only 2 out 4 cylinders working with black smoke
won't drive properly until accelerating above 2.5 rpm but still rough back off accelerator and lumpy tractor feel again
knock it out of gear slam accelerator down blast black cloud out and nearly all times back running normal again
no fault codes, egr valve spotless, services as required so got full Mazda printout

mechanic baffled as nothing is registering and it won't bloody happen to him when he's got it.

any ideas?

Old 12-07-2017, 06:37 AM

That is odd. I would advise against taking it out of gear and slam accelerator to the floor.

Have you done anything like add a cold air intake change filters. Black smoke is the car adding more fuel. Could be injectors or maybe a bad ground.

Old 12-07-2017, 03:51 PM
Default Update

The mechanic tried to take it home and it finally did the deed for him to experience it and on a hill too.
no problems on laptop which was plugged in at the time as he took it to a neighbouring garage to take a closer look at it with 2 scratching heads.
they have come to the conclusion sits a possible fault in cylinder 2 which possibly drives the egr valve so now its in Mazda waiting room for a full doctor's report. So will update once I know more.

Old 12-08-2017, 12:27 PM

Awesome sounds like they will get her fixed

Old 12-18-2017, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator

Update?

Old 07-04-2018, 12:35 AM
Default Update sorry forgot to come back

After being sent to Mazda who had to run a electronics diagnostic first (which was a complete waste of time ) it turned out the issue was the variable valve cam had excessively worn lifters on cylinder 2 the others wernt far behind to which compared to other components in the car it looked as of my it had done 150k not 80k the metal it was cast from was too weak for the job it was intended as it is part of Mazdas uber light and efficient sky tech.
Mazda would only offer at the time 5% discount on a new cam as good will considering it has full Mazda history. If repaired by Mazda.
the car dealer mechanic decided to repair it themselves after they had already done the strip down investigation. No cost to me.
So after not seeing my car for almost 2 months during this argument case between Mazda and car dealer the car is now back and running like a new motor.

Old 07-04-2018, 03:22 AM

Thank you for your update. My CX-5 (2017) with 20k km only experienced exactly the same issue once. Hopefully, it will not return

Old 07-04-2018, 10:33 AM

Worn camshafts on Skyactiv diesels is a pretty common occurance. I’m surprised it took as long as it did to get it diagnosed.

Old 07-04-2018, 05:29 PM

Looked at forums and even Mazda denied all knowledge of a common issue. Or possible manufacture issue.
couldn't find any indication using Google research
and every time it happened to me it never reaccured for the mechanic he had it for 7 days until it happened
Mazda had it sat in their car park for 2 weeks before they looked at it and then all they did was a computer fault check £120.00 which revealed nothing and wanted another £300 to do further in depth inspection.
which the car sales mechanic refused to pay for and did the further inspection themselves
when Mazda UK got involved they wouldn't do anything unlessl a Mazda approved garage did the strip down. Poor customer service on mazda in my opinion.

Old 07-05-2018, 05:13 PM
Default You're Not Alone!

Originally Posted by Bridgehl4
Thank you for your update. My CX-5 (2017) with 20k km only experienced exactly the same issue once. Hopefully, it will not return
I have a brand new 2017 CX-5 with only 15,000 miles and it died on the freeway! Caused me to get rear ended and I'm lucky I wasn't killed in a pileup!

They originally said it was out of gas which was complete B.S. because the car didn't show it needed fuel at all. Then after 2 weeks they finally realized the gauge was all screwed and decided to replace the entire fuel system! On a car that's only 6 months old!

It has now been 2 months and I haven't gotten the car back. The GM won't even return my calls! Really thinking they need a recall and this needs to turn into a lawsuit!