Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Cx5 rated poor

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2022, 12:42 PM
Default Cx5 rated poor

Not what I expected to find out after buying my 2023 CX5 . One of the prime reasons I bought the CX5 was the better than average safety rating. I wonder if Mazda will have a retrofit to fix the seat belts to currant safety good standards ? I thought the CX 5 had a good + rating . Is it my imagination or didn't Mazda advertised the 2023 CX5 as having a Good plus rating ? How will this affect insurance rates and resale of the CX 5 ? I was looking at the Rav4 B4 buying the CX5 ,but liked the ride, handling and interior of the CX 5 better, but if i had known about this safety rating i might have bought the Rav 4 if i knew this. I still like the CX5 ,but wish Mazda can fix this issue and get the vehicle upgraded to get a better safety rating. This is most defiantly an issue for the grand kids or other passengers https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/mo...ry-crash-tests

Last edited by THE CHIEF; 12-13-2022 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12-13-2022, 12:49 PM

All I have to say is follow the money chain and see who really benefits from a few of those independent road test "business" calling themselves institutions. LOL

But than this thread would need to be moved to off topic and political... LOL

reads more like the plastic bag BS in some states. LOL

Old 12-13-2022, 01:02 PM
Default Just the facts

Absolutely not off topic and political. The rating is non bias or political, it applies to all vehicles . Insurance is a numbers game, and they want to limit their loss's . When a vehicle gets a poor rating they charge more to insure it to cover their exposure so they can make a profit. It is always about money and profit. Buyers need to have the benefit of knowing the rating, so they can make an educated decision based on all the factors of a vehicle purchase . Just as we need to know the safety, cost of operation ,resale value and reliability of a vehicle ,we need to know the safety and cost of insuring it B4 we can make an educated decision where to spend our money . All I'm saying is Mazda needs to address and fix this ,and deliver what they promised . A simple recall with a fix to make the CX5 as advertised and safe is all that is needed. Don't get me wrong, I like the CX5 ,I just want it to be as safe as it should be for the occupants and not have my insurance costs go up.

Last edited by THE CHIEF; 12-13-2022 at 01:27 PM.
Old 12-13-2022, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by THE CHIEF
Absolutely not off topic and political. The rating is non bias or political, it applies to all vehicles . .
Um ok but I don't have time to get into YES it is more political than you are wanting to except and as I said if you follow all the money the one website you are using as an example eventually you would understand.

That company as well a couple other has been uncovered a few years ago.... you just have to do a little more looking LOL
I would say don't always believe the first "crash "test review you see either. After you have seen enough real-world accidents those crash test make less and less sense, not suggesting they are wrong as they are set up just not real world. That however is my opinion.

As for vehicle safety the first that should be revised is getting a driver's license making much more difficult to pass the actual driving portion of the test. As I often ask, honestly without looking do you even know the 60-0 MPH stopping distance which is calculated on a perfect day and flat dry tarmac one person in the car and who knows how much fuel in the tank? LOL

Old 12-13-2022, 02:36 PM

Absolutely not off topic and political. The rating is non bias or political, it applies to all vehicles . Insurance is a numbers game, and they want to limit their loss's . When a vehicle gets a poor rating they charge more to insure it to cover their exposure so they can make a profit. It is always about money and profit. Buyers need to have the benefit of knowing the rating, so they can make an educated decision based on all the factors of a vehicle purchase . Just as we need to know the safety, cost of operation ,resale value and reliability of a vehicle ,we need to know the safety and cost of insuring it B4 we can make an educated decision where to spend our money . All I'm saying is Mazda needs to address and fix this ,and deliver what they promised . A simple recall with a fix to make the CX5 as advertised and safe is all that is needed. Don't get me wrong, I like the CX5 ,I just want it to be as safe as it should be for the occupants and not have my insurance costs go up.
There is no misrepresentation here by Mazda. They previously received a high rating and now there is a different test which emphaiszes different parts of the car. I'm sure Mazda will respond, but I wouldn't count on that response being retroactive.

Old 12-13-2022, 02:43 PM
Default Fix would be cheap

The fix would be cheap ,just fix the rear seat belt . Might be good for future sales volume if they fixed it.

Last edited by THE CHIEF; 12-13-2022 at 02:48 PM.
Old 12-13-2022, 02:43 PM

The fix would be cheap ,just fix the rear seat belt .
Maybe.

Old 12-13-2022, 03:36 PM

The fix would be cheap ,just fix the rear seat belt . Might be good for future sales volume if they fixed it.
I am wondering how you come up with "CHEAP"? Have you worked in the capacity ever in a major auto manufacturing facility in the "bean counter" department? No insults intended but some of you all always thing something as simple is "cheap" to fix/ Maybe look into what it takes to do a simple recall replacement of a part. Lets take Mazda BCM. (body Control Module) In many Mazda it takes less then 10 minutes to replace. This was a Safety Factory recall on several model Mazdas that "MAY" have a wiper fail! The BCM retail is about 225 USD. so estimate the cost at manufactured level for a recall is estimated to at least 40% greater than the assembly line production because of the recall and needed more than the estimated normal production parts. Then you have to send thousands of repeated safety recall notices out and also report the safety recall to all Department of motor vehicles everywhere in the world. Then you need to track those that actually have the safety recall p[erformed. So by the time that is all said in done Mazda is in the several hundred thousand maybe a million dollars or more for a single safety recall on a part that "MAY" fail.

Auto manufactures DONT jump at every defective or issue on a vehicle. until it is absolutely necessary.

History over the last 4 or 5 decades can prove this!

Old 12-13-2022, 06:23 PM

As mentioned this is a new test focused on rear passengers. In this test the major issue is bad security of the rear seat lap belt (which like all the other seat belts in the vehicle is smooth, glossy, and slick). I use memory foam seat belt covers (from a Japanese company called Bonform) for my driver's seat in both the shoulder and lap belts. It's not only more comfortable but transmits force over a much wider area, about twice as wide. Who knows how much difference it would make but it's certainly more comfortable day to day and wider than the plain belt.

Here's the IIHS page on CX-5. Pretty good ratings overall.

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle...-door-suv/2023

Old 12-13-2022, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Chocolate
A I use memory foam seat belt covers (from a Japanese company called Bonform) for my driver's seat in both the shoulder and lap belts. It's not only more comfortable but transmits force over a much wider area, about twice as wide. Who knows how much difference it would make but it's certainly more comfortable day to day and wider than the plain belt.
Those are for comfort only and will not do anything to distribute the impact. I use them as well but mine are more for looks. ha!

Seat belts are often not adjusted properly by more drivers and passengers. Show me a none car enthusiast and I will show you they have the incorrect seat belt adjustments. LOL as well the side mirrors. I guess seat position might as well be included. as well. LOL

Liable:

The State of Being Legally Responsible for Something

Last edited by Callisto; 12-15-2022 at 11:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Cx5 rated poor