Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Cx5 rated poor

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2022, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Those are for comfort only and will not do anything to distribute the impact. I use them as well but mine are more for looks. ha!

Seat belts are often not adjusted properly by more drivers and passengers. Show me a none car enthusiast and I will show you they have the incorrect seat belt adjustments. LOL as well the side mirrors. I guess seat position might as well be included. as well. LOL
Yeah for sure they are for comfort. They do grip better than the polyester material of the seat belts though for what it's worth.

As you say the position of the belts will definitely affect how secure the belts are. Some of this can be adjusted (shoulder belt height) but the anchor point where you buckle in has limited adjustability (usually just a pivot point for the driver/passenger, and very little if any adjustability in the rear seats) and needs to be positioned right from the factory.

I'll add the head rests to your list - usually they aren't set high enough. I'm 6' and I have mine at the top position.

Old 12-14-2022, 05:18 AM

Cx5 rated poor
Change the goal posts, and much is possible.

Time will tell whether the old "standards" were bunk but the new ones are a better gauge of safety. As the article points out, the vehicles are just as safe as they were prior to the new gauges being applied. (Same as with all the other vehicles tested.)

It'll be awhile before improved structural alterations come through most designs. All to the good, if the existing designs actually can be improved structurally. At the likely cost of increased retail prices for such altered finished products. Nothing people don't already know.

Brings up the question, though, of what's not being tested and what isn't known. (It's not as though every potential damaging situation can be fully simulated, to learn all things about a product's ability to withstand structural failures and to perfectly shield the occupants from injuries. Humans aren't omniscient.)

Last edited by GAsierra; 12-14-2022 at 08:57 AM.
Old 12-14-2022, 06:34 AM

Everything I have read has the CX-5 as being a safe vehicle, I would not be concerned . There is no way automakers can change so fast to meet these new demands unless the car is still being designed. The CX is much safer then many, many vehicles the road.

Old 12-14-2022, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by GAsierra
Change the goal posts, and much is possible.

Brings up the question, though, of what's not being tested and what isn't known. (It's not as though every potential damaging situation can be fully simulated, to learn all things about a product's ability to withstand structural failures and to perfectly shield the occupants from injuries. Humans aren't omniscient.)
Ya you would be surprised that most vechicles are no longer physically wind tunnel tested. As for structural reenforcing I bought we will must of this for another decade or not at all. Its not practical for a line production vehicle. Can you imagine a daily driver with a 12-16 point roll bar and cage system ?

It funny as well when you look at ALL seat belts there is a date on them when they were manufactured. Now here is the thing many regulation like NASCAR and NHRA do not allow the use of any seat belt that is date coded over X=current regulation 2--5 years, because the integrity of the belt diminishes with age. Think about that the next time you buckle up in your ride that is over 7 years old with that coffee stained OEM seat belt ... LOL

I also removed my center steering wheel emblem. I mean REALLY who wants to get hitting the face with a chrome plated and hot glued decorative emblem between the eyes ?

What is very interesting is Mazda no longer has the date code information easily seen on the production tag. You need to pull the pillar cover and get to belt recoil pack to see the date code information now. LOL

Old 12-15-2022, 10:49 AM
Default Let us at least know

Originally Posted by Callisto
I am wondering how you come up with "CHEAP"? Have you worked in the capacity ever in a major auto manufacturing facility in the "bean counter" department? No insults intended but some of you all always thing something as simple is "cheap" to fix/ Maybe look into what it takes to do a simple recall replacement of a part. Lets take Mazda BCM. (body Control Module) In many Mazda it takes less then 10 minutes to replace. This was a Safety Factory recall on several model Mazdas that "MAY" have a wiper fail! The BCM retail is about 225 USD. so estimate the cost at manufactured level for a recall is estimated to at least 40% greater than the assembly line production because of the recall and needed more than the estimated normal production parts. Then you have to send thousands of repeated safety recall notices out and also report the safety recall to all Department of motor vehicles everywhere in the world. Then you need to track those that actually have the safety recall p[erformed. So by the time that is all said in done Mazda is in the several hundred thousand maybe a million dollars or more for a single safety recall on a part that "MAY" fail.

Auto manufactures DONT jump at every defective or issue on a vehicle. until it is absolutely necessary.

History over the last 4 or 5 decades can prove this!
I wasn't looking to start any big Sh*t storm here, just letting people know about it. I figured people who have rear seat occupants who they care about should know . As far as the cost of the repair ,what's someone's health or life worth in dollars ? In fact if
Mazda came out with a statement to all owners that at least they were working on a fix and in the meantime be aware of the potential problem ,that would be a real good start . At the very least let owners know about the problem, and even if Mazda chose's not to repair/fix the problem owners know and can act accordingly .

Old 12-15-2022, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by THE CHIEF
I wasn't looking to start any big Sh*t storm here In fact if
Mazda came out with a statement to all owners that at least they were working on a fix and in the meantime be aware of the potential problem ,that would be a real good start . At the very least let owners know about the problem, and even if Mazda chose's not to repair/fix the problem owners know and can act accordingly .

I would suggest you do some research into why legality wise manufactures (not just vehicle) generally do not send notices like you would want .

Liable:

The State of Being Legally Responsible for Something

Last edited by Callisto; 12-15-2022 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-15-2022, 12:00 PM

That's all well and good for Mazda to cover their a$$, but what about the real issue of customer safety ? Good will ,customer support, and potential new car sales volume should be considered by Mazda. When new vehicle shoppers in the market see that the Mazda CX5 gets a poor safety rating that will cost them sales. When currant Mazda CX5 owners see Mazda is not attempting to fix the problem ,that will cost them sales. So the bottom line here is If Mazda does the right thing they will profit in the long run . That is a WIN WIN situation for both the company and the customer.

Old 12-15-2022, 01:32 PM

That's all well and good for Mazda to cover their a$$, but what about the real issue of customer safety ? Good will ,customer support, and potential new car sales volume should be considered by Mazda. When new vehicle shoppers in the market see that the Mazda CX5 gets a poor safety rating that will cost them sales. When currant Mazda CX5 owners see Mazda is not attempting to fix the problem ,that will cost them sales. So the bottom line here is If Mazda does the right thing they will profit in the long run . That is a WIN WIN situation for both the company and the customer.
Look I see you have grief but this is not really so much how it works and a resolve if any may take years.... What you personal feel is right or the right thing to do is not how things in THE REAL WORLD work either.
I am surprised basing what I can guess your approximate age is that you have not seen these kinds of things with other makes and models even in the last 20 years and going all the way back to pre seat belt requirement days. LOL
IMHO if you feel so strongly about the safety of your MAZDA then simply trade it in sell it and buy something that meets your requirement on what a safe vehicle is!

Old 12-15-2022, 01:35 PM

That's all well and good for Mazda to cover their a$$, but what about the real issue of customer safety ?
As with any other maker of products where some "ratings" group has moved the goal posts, it'll take awhile before actual safety alterations in the product get made, of course. Whether I hear of it within a month of hearing such a group changed their recommendations doesn't alter the vehicle's basic safety levels.

Whether any given car maker is going to take into account the changes with any future tweaks made to a platform, though, is anybody's guess. I'm assuming Mazda will, at some point, but it's not as though the vehicle has magically become unsafe from one day to the next, simply because of such an announcement by a third-party group. Like any other, they'll need to determine what changes would be useful and in its best interests, given the likely impacts on customer impressions, insurance rates, future sales levels, etc. (Nothing we don't already know.)

Old 12-15-2022, 01:54 PM

I would remind everyone:
The IIHS is a non-profit organization involved in testing vehicles to find safety issues for insurance companies and is funded by "insurance companies".
The NHTSA is a federal agency involved in testing vehicles for the safety of the public and is funded by taxpayer monies.
You can probably guess my opinion on which one is looking out for the public's safety, and which one is looking out for their own bottom line.

Quick Reply: Cx5 rated poor