Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

CX5 Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2024, 12:55 AM
Lightbulb CX5 Shifting

I recently bought a CX5 2017 Touring AWD with 100,000miles. Previous owner has maintained it well and recently I changed my transfer case and differential fluid. Something I notice while I'm driving is that, I can feel the shifting. It does not grind or delay but I can feel it shifts between the gears, specifically 1st and 2nd. Also, when it down shifts, I can feel like someone tries to push it from the back (IDK how to explain this). Is this normal or something to do with the transmission ? I'm a first time Mazda owner.

Also, I found a reddit post which describes the same. Here I'm attaching that as well.
https://www.reddit.com/r/mazdacx5/co...sts=t3_15uaget

Appreciate your comments.

Old 07-11-2024, 09:57 AM

It is really hard (impsoble0 to diagnosis on a forum what you are describing, mainly because there is no indication that there is a problem? Sorry!

I briefly looked at your http and couldn't get past the first few responses before thinking...
There was so much bad and incorrect information ......wow!

If you are truly concerned that then go to as an example looking where you live:

Transmission service shop bozeman montana - Search (bing.com)

The ECU is programed to adjust via input from sensors both transmission and engine to adjust the shifting perimeters.
*There is NO indication that your transmission was ever having a basic service done?
*THIS CAN LEAD TO MANY TRANMISSION MECHANICAL ISSUES

ASE

Old 07-11-2024, 06:58 PM

I'm planning to take it to a transmission shop and see if there is anything. Just to clarify, as I could see on the reddit post is that a common way of shifting specifically in Mazda? Because I have driven two Subarus (Forester & Outback), also a Nissan Rogue and never felt the shifting. I know those are CVTs and CX5 is not. I just want to get a better idea about how Mazda operates and I really like this vehicle.

Thanks.

Old 07-11-2024, 11:23 PM

The Mazda Skyactiv engine and transmission can not be compared to other platforms.
The descriptive word “common” in the world of none service trained professionals is so often misused mostly by DIY .
Ask yourself in your lifetime owning any vehicle did another take care of it exactly like you , same miles and same style of driving etc. If you can’t think of one then you would be correct. So technically how can the word common be used. It can’t, there are to many variables to consider.