Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Cx5 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2018 | 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by paris1
According to the info just listed on Mazda's US web site, the turbo does not have C-D.
Thanks, upon seeing this I checked the Mazda USA website. The turbo does indeed not have the cylinder deactivation (CD), it might not be compatible with the turbo, I do not know the technical details. Also, the turbo loses 2 mpg in the city and 3 mpg on the highway when compared to the CD version. So it will really depend if you want that extra power in expense of lower MPG and higher price for the vehicle.

Old 11-11-2018 | 06:07 AM

i noticed that as well a DECREASE in fuel economy .. and thats great if you need that power all the time.. but then i think to when i got my cx-5 6 weeks ago and i was on many forums reading the complaints from new owners on fuel economy for the cx-5 .. then i got to thinking how will this help sales? lowering the MPG even more... i watched a few videos how they compare our cx-5 to other turbo brands... the thing with those brands are..... they decreased the size of the motor before putting a turbo on ... like honda.. 1.5 turbo... why ? fuel economy. will the Mazda have more power ? yep! after the thrill of the new power wears off.. will we be reading complaints from new owners how they wished it got better miles per gallon? Yep !

Old 11-11-2018 | 06:26 AM
|

I will pay more for fuel to ride in a comfortable, safe, and fun-to-drive automobile. At 80 years of age, I want a suv that doesn't look like a box on wheels. I don't do off-roading, so that isn't a concern for me. i have been driving a 2010 Nissan Frontier four banger which only gets 20-21 mpg average, so my fuel consumption will not be a factor. I drove the 2018 CX5 Grand Touring, and it was fun to drive, but the added power will be a positive for me. I also want a vehicle that does not have a CVT. I assure you that the 'thrill of power' will never 'wear off'.

Old 11-11-2018 | 10:51 AM

In my case, the non-turbo has enough power. I am not willing to pay more for gas and the vehicle to get the power of the 2.5 liter turbo. What would have made sense for the CX-5 is to go with a 2.0 liter turbo, but I assume they just said we already have the 2.5 liter turbo, why develop a new engine.

Looking at all other brands (including luxury and non-luxury), the 2.0 liter turbo is the sweet spot for both power and mpg values.

Old 11-11-2018 | 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by mazda_nc_dude
In my case, the non-turbo has enough power. I am not willing to pay more for gas and the vehicle to get the power of the 2.5 liter turbo. What would have made sense for the CX-5 is to go with a 2.0 liter turbo, but I assume they just said we already have the 2.5 liter turbo, why develop a new engine.

Looking at all other brands (including luxury and non-luxury), the 2.0 liter turbo is the sweet spot for both power and mpg values.
The 2.5 turbo from the CX-9 was intentionally tuned for maximum torque (at the expense of horsepower) to make the vehicle better-suited for towing. The same logic holds true for the decision to use it in the CX-5.

Old 11-11-2018 | 11:49 AM

The 2.5 turbo from the CX-9 was intentionally tuned for maximum torque (at the expense of horsepower) to make the vehicle better-suited for towing. The same logic holds true for the decision to use it in the CX-5.
Yes, that's what I guessed, though wondering how many CX-5 customers do towing and need such a high torque number since the CX-5 is in the compact SUV class. The trend among brands is to go with a 2.0 liter turbo which in general has good horse power, torque, and mpg numbers.

Last edited by mazda_nc_dude; 11-11-2018 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-11-2018 | 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by mazda_nc_dude
Yes, that's what I guessed, though wondering how many CX-5 customers do towing and need such a high torque number since the CX-5 is in the compact SUV class. The trend among brands is to go with a 2.0 liter turbo which in general has good horse power, torque, and mpg numbers.
Just because that's what the majority are doing doesn't mean there aren't good reasons to do otherwise. Maybe economies of scale has something to do with it!

Old 11-11-2018 | 04:29 PM

Sticker from Seattle, WA auto show.
Very good specs and techs for 38K.
Cx5 turbo-photo666.jpg

Old 11-11-2018 | 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by DanD.
Sticker from Seattle, WA auto show.
They had an actual 2019 on the stand?

Old 11-11-2018 | 04:56 PM

They had an actual 2019 on the stand?
Yep. Actually Im not sure, maybe the one on the pic is 2018 and sticker for 2019. Sorry not sure now.
Cx5 turbo-photo340.jpg

Last edited by DanD.; 11-11-2018 at 04:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Cx5 turbo