Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

CX5 would not shut down

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2019, 02:05 AM
Default CX5 would not shut down

Last night when I arrived home in my 2015 CX5 and pressed the stop/stop button the engine stopped but all the accessories remained on (radio, infotainment center). I tried restarting the engine and then stopping it but the same thing happened.
I 'googled' this problem and found a few 'hits' from people having the same problem with 2014 model CX5's (mine is a 2015 model). Some 'hits' suggested that a part located in the center console needing replacement and one suggested 'wiggling' the gear shift (in the parked position) which I did and then the car would power down after pressing the start/stop button.
Today I started the AND stopped it at least 3 times WITHOUT any problem.
Can anyone make any suggestions? Not much point taking it to a Mazda workshop if the problem won't happen.
Is this a known problem?
Thanks

Old 11-20-2019, 03:32 AM
Super Moderator

Seen it before, Mazda released a Tech bulletin for it in my country.

This is the part number for a Australian RHD model #KDY1-46-040 ( Switch Unit )

Old 11-20-2019, 05:19 AM

Thanks,
I am in Australia too.
I hope that I don't need the part since the problem only happened once. Apart from that as the car is just over 4 years old and travelled only 40,000km I would be asking for it to be replaced free as an extended warranty claim but no use taking it to them if I can't reproduce the fault.
I also have a 19 year old 323 (bought new) which has not had any problems - grrrr!

Old 11-20-2019, 07:13 AM

The next time that it acts up, take a video of the event and show it to your dealer.

Old 11-20-2019, 04:56 PM

Thanks.
I'll try that but don't hold any hope as 3 years ago (car was only 18 months old) when the Navigation part of the Infotainment center went haywire and I took the car in to Mazda and they said they couldn't find anything wrong I set up a video camera on a tripod in the car and took quite a bit of video which I took to them. They still didn't get it as they couldn't reproduce the problem.. I have NO FAITH in my local Mazda workshop. I ended up having to take the car back and leave it with them all day at least 3 times which was completely disruptive to me. After another 12 months Mazda Australia issued a firmware update.
Also other incidents like when I mentioned that the (outside) temperature showing in the instrument panel was usually 2-3C (3-4F) ABOVE the actual (taken with 2 different thermometers) the serviceperson said "oh that is only indicative" but did not6 reply when I asked was the speedometer only indicative. I sometimes get the impression that Mazda might put their customers off hoping that they will give up and accept whatever they complain about..

At present the ACCC (Australian Competition and Consumer Commission) are 'grilling' the Mazda chiefs over what they say is dodgy things they have subjected their customers to.https://www.accc.gov.au/media-releas...epresentations

Old 11-29-2019, 08:35 PM

Strangely and thankfully this has not been an issue since I first reported it. I wonder if the fact that I had placed the transmission in 'manual' (which required the selector to be pushed sideways) to hold it in first gear when driving up my steep driveway before placing it in park (I haven't done that since) although I had done this many times in the past without incident.