Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Dash Camera (2 channel)

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 12:56 AM
Lightbulb Dash Camera (2 channel)

Hey Mazda Mind,

I’d like to install always on or as close to possible hard wired 2 channel dash cams in my new leased CX-5 Signature. (It’s LA, drivers here suck, I want evidence if something happens.) Anyone local have any advice or favorite installers?

Thanks!

Old 12-06-2020, 11:41 AM

Most audio install shops could do it.

Old 12-06-2020, 12:49 PM

I use Rexing dash cams from Amazon in most of me vehicles. Easy to install even DIY hard wire with very common tools most have in their garages?
Amazon Amazon
I choose to hardwire simply runny the power cable along the head liner and down the pillar to the fuse panel. I used a fusible link wire to easily connect it to switched 12 volt .
https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/maz...like-do-44018/

BTW it is not only where you live but practically everywhere in California because drivers simply do not have skills to drive as fast as they think is safe and a large percentage ignore the Vehicle codes and laws and disregard common sence and respect for others and a disrespect for people and their property on and off the road ! And mostly because they think that the local police and California Highway Patrol are not going to do anything for their law breaking actions!

Last edited by Callisto; 12-06-2020 at 12:57 PM.
Old 06-13-2021, 02:19 PM

Castillo,

I am working on this problem myself right now on my 2016 Toyota Scion iA, which was manufactured by Mazda. I am trying to find a guide on how to remove the A-Pillar trim, but none of the other Toyota models are comparable, because they were not manufactured by Toyota. I have been told the CX-3's, Mazda3's, and Yaris's are the best matches.

I bought a Viofo Pro Duo A129 Dash cam with the front and back cam. Trying to install the hardwire kit under the headliner and down to the fuse box in the driver footwell. Any advice for removing the A Pillar trim? I have heard it may have airbags and it is better to disconnect the battery before attempting to remove. I have tried to do this with the trim removal tool that comes with the dash-cam, but it is a cheap plastic thing and can't grip.

I believe this is the piece I am seeking to remove. I have seen other Toyota's in youtube clips remove this piece by pulling using hand strength to get the A-Pillar out an inch then use needle-nose pliers to disconnect the clips from the frame to remove the A-Pillar the rest of the way. I am not sure if if I am just too timid or what, but I cannot do this when I try I feel like I am going to force it and break a clip.

Additionally, if there is also advice on removing the trim in the 2016 Scion iA footwell to allow me better access to the fuse box, that would be appreciated.

Old 06-13-2021, 03:39 PM

Have you tried a forum dedicated to the car you actually own?

https://www.scioniaforum.com/

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sci...n-lounge-1859/

Old 06-13-2021, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by CarpeDiem
Have you tried a forum dedicated to the car you actually own?

https://www.scioniaforum.com/

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sci...n-lounge-1859/

Yes that is what I did first. They recommended asking a Mazda forum since the Scion iA is just a Scion skin thrown over a Mazda:

https://www.scioniaforum.com/threads...13/#post-55839

Last edited by ParkingInAlley; 06-13-2021 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-13-2021, 07:50 PM

Why are wanting to remove the A pillar? The ribbing support molded into the formation of the A-pillar which is in most all A-pillar of any vehicle will be a hindrance to running wires as you may be thinking of any kind without some serious Dremel action and *not necessary. You simply tuck the wire along the edge and down to the lower portion of the A-pillar which if you look you can easily pull or push it through to the lower section of the dash and then connect up to your "jumped" fuse? DONT OVER THINK this simple task.

I was going to take some pictures of how easy this is to do and post and then realized , HOW EASY THIS IS TO DO so no pictures.

*I have on the drivers side not only a pair of tweeter wires but a Dash cam cable as well a Bluetooth device cable all running in my Mazda A-pillar and they all running along the edge never needing to remove the A-pillar to install them.

Last edited by Callisto; 06-13-2021 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-13-2021, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Why are wanting to remove the A pillar? The ribbing support molded into the formation of the A-pillar which is in most all A-pillar of any vehicle will be a hindrance to running wires as you may be thinking of any kind without some serious Dremel action and *not necessary. You simply tuck the wire along the edge and down to the lower portion of the A-pillar which if you look you can easily pull or push it through to the lower section of the dash and then connect up to your "jumped" fuse? DONT OVER THINK this simple task.

I was going to take some pictures of how easy this is to do and post and then realized , HOW EASY THIS IS TO DO so no pictures.

*I have on the drivers side not only a pair of tweeter wires but a Dash cam cable as well a Bluetooth device cable all running in my Mazda A-pillar and they all running along the edge never needing to remove the A-pillar to install them.
Because I want to avoid issues with the airbag which I believe is located behind the A Pillar, and most of the tutorials for installing the hardwire kit involve removing the A Pillar trim. Plus, what do you do when you reach the bottom of the A Pillar?

I don't know right now how to feed the wire into the fusebox panel. From the examples I have seen the cabling goes through the dash not down the weatherstripping. To go through the dash you need to have removed the A Pillar. If you know of a better way to run the hardwire cable I would be glad to hear it. Any advice on removing the fusebox panel would also be appreciated!

Old 06-14-2021, 06:28 AM

I have been installing electronics in cars since 1978. You MUST remove the A-Pillar before running a wire down it to prevent issues with the airbag. A lot of people just tuck it up in there after removing the weather stripping...WRONG! Wire tie the cables so they are away from the airbag and then route very easily down the side of the dash straight into the fuse box area under the dash...easy peasy. I also HIGHLY recommend Blackvue dash cams. The Amazon ones, and most of the cameras there are crap. If you cannot afford a Blackvue, or a Thinkware, buy a VIOFO A129 Pro Duo. The Blackvue DR750X-Plus is the way to go IMPO.

www.thedashcamstore.com

www.blackboxmycar.com

Last edited by securityguy; 06-14-2021 at 06:33 AM.
Old 06-14-2021, 08:48 AM

The A-Pillar air bag is mounted and functionally operates by blowing from the center outward NOT the EDGE ...NONE of the wires in the way I described interfere with the Air bag operation NONE !
I suppose if you wanted you could "drill" into the metal part of the body behind the A-pillar of the vehicles and run them in there but why?
and you didn't read what I said about how the A-pillars are made. LOL A-pillars have not been around since 1978 and "electronics so to say were very simplistic back then. I have you beat by at least 2 years

I can see where this thread is going....

Better go back to looking for an installer Parkinginalley

Good luck

Quick Reply: Dash Camera (2 channel)