Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Dead battery after 1K

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2020, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by macneillds
I received in the mail this morning a Special Service Program (SSP) C2 - 2020 CX-5 and 2020 CX-9 - Power LiftGate (PLG) Control Unit Concern notice.

It states the reason for the notice, which is a faulty PLG Control Unit on "certain subject vehicles." It
also states that "Your Mazda dealer will replace the PLG Control Unit with an updated part."

They encourage the customer to make an appointment with an authorized Mazda dealer to get the unit replaced as soon as possible.
Thanks for posting what you received, and good to know this process is now underway for the owners on the SSP list. And rest assured that most of us on this forum really do appreciate it when someone contributes helpful and useful information, regardless of anything else you might read, which might cause you to believe otherwise.

Old 10-02-2020, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by m5xguy
Ok, here's what I'm going to do to help out with that. This will be my last activity with you on ANY thread, and if you reply to any post I make to others, I'll simply not participate.
hmm??? ^^^^^

Thanks for posting what you received, and good to know this process is now underway for the owners on the SSP list. And rest assured that most of us on this forum really do appreciate it when someone contributes helpful and useful information, regardless of anything else you might read, which might cause you to believe otherwise.
LOL
If you had not added the last part ^^^^^ I am sure I may not have responded to you? But you can not help yourself
I am also wondering how you became the spokes person for others and what they think on this forum? LOL
..... really?

Thank you again for posting the update from MAZDA .... empirical information is always welcome

Last edited by Callisto; 10-02-2020 at 05:36 PM.
Old 01-19-2022, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Interesting choice of MAZDA approved battery load tester!

Hydrometer testing is a lost art. Its nice to read that someone still uses it. That also means you must be proficient in math! These day I tend to only use a a hydrometer for the wet motorcycle batteries. Even that is getting almost none use because most everything I own now is AGM. It saves on all the tiny holes in the cloths..... LOL

I forgot I was charging the battery last night to do a load test finish to post on this thread. I like the RED OPTIMA but not all their decals. So de-badge the battery but carefully preserve the decals if I need to warranty the battery. It to bad a BLUE marine Optima wont work without changing the positive batter cable to a custom cable.

appears your noco is set for a normal 12v standard flooded wet battery. One more mode over is Winter/AGM. AGM's need to be charged to a slightly higher voltage. Even thou these "smart charger" and pretty great. You need to select the correct mode to match your battery type for a proper charge. ...
Most newer "smart chargers" will retain (memory) the last setting, so next time they go to same setting.

Old 01-20-2022, 08:57 AM

Ok, here's what I'm going to do to help out with that. This will be my last activity with you on ANY thread, and if you reply to any post I make to others, I'll simply not participate. Although this will leave you with one less member to verbally jerk around, I'm sure you can find more than enough other targets to keep you happy. So, given that this will be the last time we'll be speaking together like this, I'll just say have a wonderful rest of your life.
Well done, Callisto! Another one bites the dust, eh?

Keep it up and maybe you can alienate everyone here. With everyone gone you for sure will be the smartest person in the room...

Old 01-20-2022, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
hmm??? ^^^^^

LOL
If you had not added the last part ^^^^^ I am sure I may not have responded to you? But you can not help yourself
I am also wondering how you became the spokes person for others and what they think on this forum? LOL
..... really?

Thank you again for posting the update from MAZDA .... empirical information is always welcome
It's not what we think of the forum sir, it's you.

Last edited by Conrad 16.5; 01-20-2022 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-20-2022, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Tcx-5D
appears your noco is set for a normal 12v standard flooded wet battery. One more mode over is Winter/AGM. AGM's need to be charged to a slightly higher voltage. Even thou these "smart charger" and pretty great. You need to select the correct mode to match your battery type for a proper charge. ...
Most newer "smart chargers" will retain (memory) the last setting, so next time they go to same setting.
Welcome to the forum. Interesting that you joined and went right on this thread and researched to find my postings?
I don't use that setting on Optima. After talking with Optima having 2 failed batteries using that setting it was determined that the best and that 12v standard a better setting for Optima. You can contact them direct and ask them and show them the pictures!

Old 01-20-2022, 11:11 AM

cool beans, strange that it failed. normal chargers with the 12V standard voltage flow is 14.5. Winter/AGM is usually 14.7. Good thing you talked to support. Just wondering if it is the batteries limitation or the charger. Also what would occur if you had the OptimaDigital 400 12V Performance Maintainer and Battery Charger. Would support say use 12V standard also... Oh, I am a battery nut / geek..just trying to help. .that is why I joined plus I we have two CX-5 (2019 & 2021) ... cheers stay safe.....

Old 01-20-2022, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Tcx-5D
cool beans, strange that it failed. normal chargers with the 12V standard voltage flow is 14.5. Winter/AGM is usually 14.7. Good thing you talked to support. Just wondering if it is the batteries limitation or the charger. Also what would occur if you had the OptimaDigital 400 12V Performance Maintainer and Battery Charger. Would support say use 12V standard also... Oh, I am a battery nut / geek..just trying to help. .that is why I joined plus I we have two CX-5 (2019 & 2021) ... cheers stay safe.....
First my apologies for suspecting less than a fresh new member to this forum. WELCOME TO THE FORUM.
Optimas can be charged on a simple 12v battery charger. That was a selling feature since they started retail decades ago, there is no special chargers required for servicing or maintaining their charge during storage. I do use different settings regarding charging on other batteries like my Braille. But even the Brille can be charged without harm using a simple 12 volt charger.

I have never met a battery "geek" before. But I do appreciate having more informative members participating and having more then perhaps DIY on 12 volts batteries and even 12 volt charging systems and equipment.

Last edited by Callisto; 01-20-2022 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-20-2022, 04:19 PM

What is the best replacement battery for my 2021 GTR - regardless of cost?

Old 01-20-2022, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Sojourner55
What is the best replacement battery for my 2021 GTR - regardless of cost?
Stock replacement .... If no modification is necessary for fitment and if the electronics are 100% OEM MAZDA my suggestion is Optima.

I would also consider adding addition and larger power cables from the battery to the starer and Alternator and additional ground leads.