Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Dealer Service Ripoff

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2024, 09:14 AM
Default Dealer Service Dismay

I recently went to the dealer for the last routine oil change on my 2020 Mazda CX-5 since it's now out of warranty. I have only previously had good experiences with that dealership.
At 27,000 miles they discovered a damaged driver's side lower control arm bushing and two leaking rear shocks. Cost about $1900. They told my wife that the car was not safe to drive. I experienced no drivability issues. I then took it to my trusted indy shop and they had two certified mechanics separately inspect the vehicle. Nothing was damaged or malfunctioning. I have not talked to the dealership yet. What would you do?

Last edited by tbow; 05-28-2024 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-28-2024, 11:14 AM

I wouldn't go back to the dealer and leave bad reviews about their practices. I would just get your car serviced at your own mechanic from here on out.

Old 05-28-2024, 12:18 PM

Well first you have two sides and you seem to be taking the independent service shops their side? You will notice that it has already affected the thoughts of other members and their responses? LOL

NIETHER shop invited you to look at the area and possible effected parts?
Just because you don't notice a difference does not mean that something is the beginning of having an issue.

However, the dealership if their finding was correct their legal obligation would be to state that your MAZDA may be unsafe!

As you stated having never before questioned them and their service to you, I would return to the dealership and talk to them about what they found in more detail and if you don't like what they tell you then and only then show them what the independent service shop results were.

Her is the thing on both the items found at the dealership, the busing damage cannot be hidden and readily seen as well oil leaking from a dampener even if wiped off (which they should not have done before the service writer or manager inspected it) the dampener would still be leaking fluid.

Old 05-28-2024, 02:42 PM

My shop determined that the oil on the drivers side CA bushing was from very sloppy oil changes. Oil was all over the left side on the plastic shroud and down on the CA. They tested the travel of the suspension and it looked great. The rear shocks looked clean. Road test indicated no suspension or drivability issues. I'm inclined to just quietly move on, since it's the only Mazda dealership around. One day I may need to do business and i don't want to burn that bridge. I'm still cooling off. When I was younger, well, you know.

Old 05-28-2024, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by tbow
My shop determined that the oil on the drivers side CA bushing was from very sloppy oil changes. Oil was all over the left side on the plastic shroud and down on the CA. They tested the travel of the suspension and it looked great. The rear shocks looked clean. Road test indicated no suspension or drivability issues. I'm inclined to just quietly move on, since it's the only Mazda dealership around. One day I may need to do business and i don't want to burn that bridge. I'm still cooling off. When I was younger, well, you know.
Sounds like a good plan. But maybe next time please think before starting a negative thread about service at a dealership without all the facts. They are not all con artist trying to rip you off.

I will say you can not test a dampener on a vehicle unless it is completely failed or leaking badly. It is also curious how oil only got on the rear suspension parts and nowhere else under the chassis? Some Mazda have a complete plastic cover under carriage so why no oil on that from a sloppy oil change? I also question your description of the bushing vs the last inspection. The first post you made you said it was damaged not oil on the bushing. This goes along with I realize you are feel ripped off but think before posting ?

Originally Posted by tbow
I recently went to the dealer for the last routine oil change since its now out of warranty. I have only previously had good experiences with that dealership.
At 27,000 miles they discovered a damaged lower control arm bushing and two leaking rear shocks. Cost about $1900. They told my wife that the car was not safe to drive. I experienced no drivability issues. I then took it to my trusted mechanic and they had two certified mechanics separately inspect the vehicle. Nothing was damaged or malfunctioning. I have not talked to the dealership yet. What would you do?

Last edited by Callisto; 05-28-2024 at 05:44 PM.
Old 05-28-2024, 07:24 PM

Thanks for the advice. I was caught off guard by this whole ordeal and was not being very articulate. Someone was incompetent or dishonest and it upset me. Yes, the title is misleading, I apologize. Yes, I'm probably biased, since I've used that shop for over 20 years. I agree dealerships are not bad, but sometimes an employee lacks competency or integrity.

The term damage was used by the Mazda tech. "Damaged drivers side lower CA bushing, and broken and leaking rear shocks." The indy shop discovered the oil from the under carriage access panel down onto the driver's lower CA and bushing. Suggesting it was from oil changes. No fluid leaking or oil on the rear shocks. All suspension parts were in excellent operating condition. Yes, the indy shop invited me under the car to show me.

When I cancelled with Mazda, they said no worries, this is a common problem and the parts they ordered will get used on another car soon enough. Go figure.
I suspect I'll eventually do some future business with the dealer if only for a recall or buying a new Mazda.

Last edited by tbow; 05-28-2024 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-29-2024, 10:09 AM

I know this is just an opinion but the better thing to have done would have been to talk to the service manager about the discrepancies between the service observation. I personally would want to know if one of my Techs(not likely) or mechanics (not likely) was doing an something incorrect or accurate. It only takes a couple of people posting on the internet that it becomes a virus that seems to grow with the concept of negativity and poor service work when it may have simply been one individual that needs some instruction.

In my shop I have a redundant check procedure. Almost all service work is inspected by me or the owner and signed the work order invoice as completed correctly. Major service "must" be stepped inspected and signed off. When the service work is complete me or the owner test drives the customers vehicle. When the customer picks up the vehicle the service work is gone over before the sign the release. If a major service is done me or the owner goes for a test drive with the customer. All though this is human interaction, and nothing is perfect we had a customer return due to a service procedure even as small as engine oil and filter service in over 10 years.

In a dealership of any medium to large size and balancing WARRATY work and generally service work this type of redundant checking is really almost impossible.
I might add that dealership do offer service work suggestion that may not always be completely necessary but preventive in order to realistically stay in business. There is nothing wrong or unethical with this practice. If you think about it if dealership which are independently owned could not make a profit and pay their bills they would close. If to many closed then you would need to travel longer distances to get basic WARRATY work and general service done from a dealership. And the cost of parts and labor would also increase.

Old 05-29-2024, 11:24 AM

What you said could certainly be the case. Thanks for giving me perspective. I'll approach the service manager with that in mind.

Old 05-30-2024, 08:27 AM

It's easy to get mad at a dealer or anyone you pay large amounts of money too, especially if you feel it was not warranted.
I've had issues with good dealers that were caused by a bad and/or criminal tech (they got fired).
And I've had issues with billing (consistent incorrect time sheets) caused by a new service manager who was replaced.
More often than not it is an individual not the dealership.
A good dealership takes care of "issues" when they arise, bad ones let them pile up until they are no longer in business.
Best practice is to fully look at the entire picture before flying off the handle.
Trying to walk back something you say in anger rarely goes well.

Old 05-31-2024, 03:41 PM

Yeah, I hear you. The only knee jerk reaction was posting this thread the way I did it. Lol! Nevertheless, I'm greatful for everyone's comments.

Quick Reply: Dealer Service Ripoff