Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Display Off Clock On fail

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2020, 08:43 AM
DDD
Default Display Off Clock On fail

I have a 2019 CX-5 GT and have been told there is no fix for the failure of the display to function as described in the manual. When I select "display off, clock on" when driving the display includes the top line of navigation for the next street and then "sticks" on that first street for the rest of the drive. After updating system and trying a new SD card the Tech called Mazda, drive another model and confirmed that, "the vehicle is operating normally and this is a normal operation of the vehicle."

The owners manual says it should only show the clock when I've selected "display off, clock on." The next time I start my CX-5 it usually works as it should, but if I change the display and go back I have the same problem.

I've called Mazda USA to register a complaint and request a repair (I suspect they need to correct the software). What else? Should I file a report with my state attorney general under the "lemon law?" Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks

Old 02-04-2020, 06:30 PM

This sounds like a minor annoyance. Not really lemon law material. But if it bothers you that much, consult a lemon law attorney. They usually give a free initial consultation.

My guess is this will be fixed sometime in the future with a software update. I don't think the dealer can do anything without the corrected software.

Old 02-05-2020, 08:15 AM
DDD

Originally Posted by samiam_68
This sounds like a minor annoyance. Not really lemon law material. But if it bothers you that much, consult a lemon law attorney. They usually give a free initial consultation.

My guess is this will be fixed sometime in the future with a software update. I don't think the dealer can do anything without the corrected software.
Thanks. I'm sure you are right, but it does taint my otherwise very positive feelings about the vehicle. As I've found comments on other forums going back to 2016 complaining about the same problem, I'm not optimistic that Mazda will correct the software anytime soon. Shouldn't Mazda honor having to repair the car to operate as described in the owners manual, especially as in this case it displays incorrect information (the wrong cross street)?

I will keep pushing at the Mazda USA level and see if I can get any satisfaction.

Old 02-06-2020, 07:26 AM

You're going to THAT much trouble for a very minor annoyance? Just ignore it and enjoy your car.

Old 02-06-2020, 11:29 AM
DDD

UPDATE as of 2/6/2020. As Mazda was able to reproduce the same problem in multiple vehicles, it is now on some list to address in the future. They were not able to provide any clue when that future may occur.

What is "very minor" and what isn't is in the eye of the beholder. Yes, this is not worth complaining to the Attorney General, but I do feel a new car should function as advertised. As is, I am reluctant to ever touch the controls when it is working right so I can't, for example, check and see the name of a song playing on the radio, as then when I shift it back to "display off; clock on" it will display wrong street information for the rest of the drive. Or when I start the car and it fails, as it does regularly, it shows the wrong street the entire drive right there in the corner of my vision. And I don't like to leave it in audio or navigation as I find it distracting.