Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Done with the dealer.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2024, 11:53 PM
Default Done with the dealer.

It's been a while since I've been here. My 2016 CX-5 has continued to be a good reliable vehicle and a bit of a pocket rocket. The law finally caught up with me and I got a ticket. Albeit only a warning. Bight headlights coming at me and my elderly eyes, I flat couldn't read the speedometer very well. Fortunately, the grey beard and polite manners calmed the waters.

Last summer Bambi went rogue and became "Bambo". $5500 damage but the shop fixed the doors and removed the hoof prints from the roof to the point you can't tell there's ever been a bump.

The difference now is the door is straight and actually opens now.

I've made my last trip to the dealer though. It has new ownership and prices have sky rocketed. A $68 oil change is now $130. However, that is only part of the reason. Every time they worked on the car, they tore stuff up. Last summer I drove 2000 miles and 2 days after getting home, my a/c quit working. An earlier oil change had the dealer tell me my belt tensioner was leaking oil. It had been replaced 3 months previously with a Mazda tensioner and belt. The original had lasted nearly 80,000 miles so it wasn't leaking. When the a/c quit, I found the belt to be shredded. You can see on the pulley on the tensioner where someone had grabbed it with slip joint pliers.

Other problems have been an oil change and tire rotation prior to a trip nearly caused a wreck. I picked the car up, picked the GF up and we went to Chattanooga Tn. I got 125 miles and something didn't feel right. Pulling off the road into a gas station, the wheels looked odd. Both front tires were loose and about to come off. After that, it was rude, but anytime I let them rotate the tires, I got my tire iron out and while still in the service department, checked the torque on the nuts. I think it's rude but they will only do that to my car once.

I have since started going to the same place I take my other vehicles for an oil change. It goes onto CarFax so there's a record of maintenance besides my log book in the glove box. The last time I went to the dealer, they told me I had a torn boot on my drivers front axle. It was losing grease and finally began to make all sorts of noises. A couple of days ago, I replaced it. Sure enough, there were tooth marks from pliers on the rubber boot.

If I decide to get a newer CX-5, with this one gets wrecked or I just feel like it, I'm torn with going to the same dealer or heading out of town. They still have "Market Adjustment" upcharges on the window stickers along with a "Simonize treatment" for $895. I can do that myself in my driveway for $20 and a half an hour of my time. I'm retired, I have plenty of time.

Old 06-19-2024, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Grouch
It's been a while since I've been here. My 2016 CX-5 has continued to be a good reliable vehicle and a bit of a pocket rocket. The law finally caught up with me and I got a ticket. Albeit only a warning. Bight headlights coming at me and my elderly eyes, I flat couldn't read the speedometer very well. Fortunately, the grey beard and polite manners calmed the waters.

Last summer Bambi went rogue and became "Bambo". $5500 damage but the shop fixed the doors and removed the hoof prints from the roof to the point you can't tell there's ever been a bump.

The difference now is the door is straight and actually opens now.

I've made my last trip to the dealer though. It has new ownership and prices have sky rocketed. A $68 oil change is now $130. However, that is only part of the reason. Every time they worked on the car, they tore stuff up. Last summer I drove 2000 miles and 2 days after getting home, my a/c quit working. An earlier oil change had the dealer tell me my belt tensioner was leaking oil. It had been replaced 3 months previously with a Mazda tensioner and belt. The original had lasted nearly 80,000 miles so it wasn't leaking. When the a/c quit, I found the belt to be shredded. You can see on the pulley on the tensioner where someone had grabbed it with slip joint pliers.

Other problems have been an oil change and tire rotation prior to a trip nearly caused a wreck. I picked the car up, picked the GF up and we went to Chattanooga Tn. I got 125 miles and something didn't feel right. Pulling off the road into a gas station, the wheels looked odd. Both front tires were loose and about to come off. After that, it was rude, but anytime I let them rotate the tires, I got my tire iron out and while still in the service department, checked the torque on the nuts. I think it's rude but they will only do that to my car once.

I have since started going to the same place I take my other vehicles for an oil change. It goes onto CarFax so there's a record of maintenance besides my log book in the glove box. The last time I went to the dealer, they told me I had a torn boot on my drivers front axle. It was losing grease and finally began to make all sorts of noises. A couple of days ago, I replaced it. Sure enough, there were tooth marks from pliers on the rubber boot.

If I decide to get a newer CX-5, with this one gets wrecked or I just feel like it, I'm torn with going to the same dealer or heading out of town. They still have "Market Adjustment" upcharges on the window stickers along with a "Simonize treatment" for $895. I can do that myself in my driveway for $20 and a half an hour of my time. I'm retired, I have plenty of time.
Don't blame you. Had something similar back in the 90's when my 95 4Runner went into the dealer's shop prior to a trip for a checkup, oil change and tire rotation. They called me at the office that it was ready and my wife and I drove down to pick it up. Paid the bill and got into the vehicle that they had pulled up for me. As I was pulling out of the lot, the right rear wheel fell off - they hadn't tightened the lug nuts at all. It needed three new lugs, a new Wrangler tire (they had sold me the ones on the vehicle and they only had 5000 miles on them) and a new custom wheel that cost them a small fortune to special order and rush deliver so I could leave on the trip. This was all right before Christmas, so I'm sure the rush cost them even more, but they knew I was a attorney and were anxious to make it right.

After that, I drove 20 miles further to another Toyota dealer for service until the warranty was up and then took it to my favored independent.

Old 06-19-2024, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by schmieg
Don't blame you.
I ===== a attorney
This is good to know. But how come you don't back me up more often with some legal responses I post sometimes make too legit my info from time to time.?? LOL
now don't give me that I am specialized response.... I know better. hahahaha My wife deals with judges and attorneys Mo-Fri every week.

Old 06-19-2024, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
This is good to know. But how come you don't back me up more often with some legal responses I post sometimes make too legit my info from time to time.?? LOL
now don't give me that I am specialized response.... I know better. hahahaha My wife deals with judges and attorneys Mo-Fri every week.
Partly that I didn't work in warranty and car stuff (bankruptcy & probate were my areas - not the ones you want to see an attorney about) and partly because I've been retired for 17 years and am really rusty on that stuff.

Old 06-20-2024, 06:18 AM

You should've had a body undercoat done when you retired....

Old 06-20-2024, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
You should've had a body undercoat done when you retired....
I have no desire to return to work. The practice of law had changed a lot in the 30 years I did it and not for the better.