Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Door-handle pushbutton no worky in cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 01:38 PM
Default Door-handle pushbutton no worky in cold weather

bought 2017 CX-5 brand new. In cold weather, the door pushbuttons don't response. The key fob doesn't work either. Sounds like rubber getting frozen and not allowing good contact. Thankfully it takes a minute of pressing, then works, but kinda scary as I was locked out for a minute last time I went skiing. Don't want to be stuck up at mountain! Not sure how to deal with this on warranty as I feel like dealer will just say "they work, we didn't find anythign wrong with them" cuz it won't be cold enough by the time I get to the dealer. thoughts?

Old 01-03-2020, 02:25 PM

This is a photo of a 2017 CX-5 exterior driver door handle. It is the same as my 2014 handle which pulls straight out. Where is the push-button you are referring to? Is this an electrical problem involving the lock or a mechanical problem involving the latch/handle? There are lock de-icers for what you are describing... Cars in Winter have these problems. The dealer is probably going to tell you this.

Old 01-03-2020, 03:40 PM

I think he is referring to the rubber lock/unlock button on the handle. The one in the photo does not have it.

Old 01-03-2020, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by 3carmonte

This is a photo of a 2017 CX-5 exterior driver door handle. It is the same as my 2014 handle which pulls straight out. Where is the push-button you are referring to? Is this an electrical problem involving the lock or a mechanical problem involving the latch/handle? There are lock de-icers for what you are describing... Cars in Winter have these problems. The dealer is probably going to tell you this.

I don't know what else to call this. Is that not a button on the handle?

Old 01-03-2020, 07:26 PM

You circled the lock cylinder. Spray some of this Bell Lock de-icer where the key goes in and where the handle connects to the door pull and you should be good to go. $5.00 at Walmart. Or, try some alcohol based hand sanitizer on a warmed key and insert it and work it gently until it turns. There are many YouTube videos on this subject also.
If your door is frozen shut, warm it up with a hair dryer until it opens and then silicone spray or PAM cooking oil spray the rubber weather stripping to seal out moisture so it doesn't freeze to the door jamn again. There is nothing wrong with your vehicle.

Last edited by 3carmonte; 01-03-2020 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by samiam_68
I think he is referring to the rubber lock/unlock button on the handle. The one in the photo does not have it.
CORRECT. it is not the lock cylinder. You can see in the picture below, there is the lock cylinder and a button. The problem is not with the lock cylinder, the problem is with the button. The button freezes in cold weather and becomes inoperable. The car thinks the button is being pushed, it ignores the key fob which means I cannot open the door.

​​​​

Old 01-03-2020, 09:19 PM

This handle lacks the button. The button is only present on cars that have the Advanced Keyless Entry and is on both the driver's and passenger's doors.

Old 01-04-2020, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by ilanious
bought 2017 CX-5 brand new. In cold weather, the door pushbuttons don't response. The key fob doesn't work either. Sounds like rubber getting frozen and not allowing good contact. Thankfully it takes a minute of pressing, then works, but kinda scary as I was locked out for a minute last time I went skiing. Don't want to be stuck up at mountain! Not sure how to deal with this on warranty as I feel like dealer will just say "they work, we didn't find anythign wrong with them" cuz it won't be cold enough by the time I get to the dealer. thoughts?
So, if you press the unlock button on your fob, while near the CX, it doesn't unlock the door? Have you checked the fob battery?

Old 01-04-2020, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by schmieg
This handle lacks the button. The button is only present on cars that have the Advanced Keyless Entry and is on both the driver's and passenger's doors.

My apologies. I'm obviously out of my depth. But I do love my Low-tech 2014 even more now...

Old 01-04-2020, 11:51 AM

My apologies. I'm obviously out of my depth. But I do love my Low-tech 2014 even more now...
No apologies necessary. And, without the AKE system, you probably will have fewer issues down the road.

Quick Reply: Door-handle pushbutton no worky in cold weather