Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Door locks sometimes don't lock

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 09:39 AM
Default Door locks sometimes don't lock

Most of the time, particularly when I park and exit the car at home, I hear one beep, and 4 or 5 seconds later a second beep and the doors lock on the vehicle. Most of the time when I'm out, that same sequence occurs. However, on occasion when I return to the car, the doors are NOT locked, which I find strange. I have the lock set so when I exit the vehicle it auto locks and when I press the door button there is a double beep that unlocks all doors. I'm wondering why sometime it does not lock the doors after I leave the vehicle.

Last edited by Gerald Mucci; 01-14-2020 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-14-2020, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Gerald Mucci
Most of the time, particularly when I park and exit the car at home, I hear one beep, and 4 or 5 seconds later a second beep and the doors lock on the vehicle. Most of the time when I'm out, that same sequence occurs. However, on occasion when I return to the car, the doors are NOT locked, which I find strange. I have the lock set so when I exit the vehicle it auto locks and when I press the door button there is a double beep that unlocks all doors. I'm wondering why sometime it does not lock the doors after I leave the vehicle.
Just one thing to think about, probably not the answer. Sometimes when I ride with my wife (I try to avoid this), she will park the car, get out and start to walk away while I am still getting out. I have a bad back and I'm slow at this. If she gets too far away before I can shut my door, the vehicle will not lock because the fob isn't recognized as being present. I'm aware of this, so I have her lock the door using the button on the fob when she does this. If you are alone, obviously, this wouldn't be the answer.

The other thing she does is to leave the door open, open the hatch and then open a back door to get stuff out after grocery shopping and then closes all doors except the hatch. She then brings stuff into the house and deposits her purse with the fob on the kitchen counter, then return to the open hatch to get the rest of the groceries and then closes the hatch. Once again, the fob isn't present, so the doors don't lock. Hopefully, your problem is as simple (well, not so simple since I have been working on my wife to change her habits now for five years).

Old 01-14-2020, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by schmieg
Just one thing to think about, probably not the answer. Sometimes when I ride with my wife (I try to avoid this), she will park the car, get out and start to walk away while I am still getting out. I have a bad back and I'm slow at this. If she gets too far away before I can shut my door, the vehicle will not lock because the fob isn't recognized as being present. I'm aware of this, so I have her lock the door using the button on the fob when she does this. If you are alone, obviously, this wouldn't be the answer.

The other thing she does is to leave the door open, open the hatch and then open a back door to get stuff out after grocery shopping and then closes all doors except the hatch. She then brings stuff into the house and deposits her purse with the fob on the kitchen counter, then return to the open hatch to get the rest of the groceries and then closes the hatch. Once again, the fob isn't present, so the doors don't lock. Hopefully, your problem is as simple (well, not so simple since I have been working on my wife to change her habits now for five years).
In my scenario, I am alone when this occurs, not having a wife in the car to complicate things. I might have a doppelganger, though.

Possibly it could have something to do with being in a parking lot and walking behind another vehicle blocking the key fob signal before the doors have a chance to lock.

Old 01-14-2020, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Gerald Mucci
In my scenario, I am alone when this occurs, not having a wife in the car to complicate things. I might have a doppelganger, though.

Possibly it could have something to do with being in a parking lot and walking behind another vehicle blocking the key fob signal before the doors have a chance to lock.
Maybe, but I find the first beep occurs while you are right next to the door and the second as you pass the front or rear wheel well if you are moving to the front or rear. Now, it could be a fob battery issue.

Old 01-14-2020, 10:02 PM

Maybe, but I find the first beep occurs while you are right next to the door and the second as you pass the front or rear wheel well if you are moving to the front or rear. Now, it could be a fob battery issue.
That's a possibility. I had to replace my wife's fob battery last month. I'll check that out - a cheap test.
But on second thought, I am still able to press the !Hold button 150' from the vehicle in a parking lot and honk the horn.

Last edited by Gerald Mucci; 01-14-2020 at 10:46 PM.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:21 AM

I had a similar situation and finally realized the auto lock only works when the drivers door is the last one closed. If any door including the hatch is open or opened after the drivers door is shut, it will not auto lock. pushing the lock button on any door or remote will lock it.

Old 01-15-2020, 11:30 AM

All of the above and some. Mine does not lock if someone else has a door open when I walk away or when the trunk is opened before the second beep (Mazda3 but same issue). Beyond that I find that at work it always locks but at home it is often unlocked. I think it is related to the speed and direction you walk away. At home, I am much further away from the car and walking faster towards the rear of the car when I push the door closed than at work where I exit and walk forward after closing the door. I think I am out of range by the time I close the door at home.

Luckily for me, at work the probably of having a car stolen is probably 1 in 10 where at home it is closer to 1 in a million.

I have learned to listen for the beep as I am walking away and hit the button when I don't hear it.

Old 01-15-2020, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by etsok1
I had a similar situation and finally realized the auto lock only works when the drivers door is the last one closed. If any door including the hatch is open or opened after the drivers door is shut, it will not auto lock. pushing the lock button on any door or remote will lock it.
My 2014 will lock that way. Many times my wife will exit and stand near the vehicle while I exit the passenger side and close the passenger door last. Then, when we walk away, it will lock. Also, I sometimes go out to the vehicle at night to put something in the glove box and I will only open the passenger side then close it and walk away and it will lock. However, if the person with the key moves away from the vehicle before all the doors are closed, it will not lock. If both parties in the vehicle have keys, it will also lock.

Now, I haven't tested this with having the back doors be the last to be closed. I will have to do that. Well, I just did after that last sentence and the back door was the last to be closed and the vehicle still locked as I walked away.

Old 01-15-2020, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by mazdaCPA
All of the above and some. Mine does not lock if someone else has a door open when I walk away or when the trunk is opened before the second beep (Mazda3 but same issue). Beyond that I find that at work it always locks but at home it is often unlocked. I think it is related to the speed and direction you walk away. At home, I am much further away from the car and walking faster towards the rear of the car when I push the door closed than at work where I exit and walk forward after closing the door. I think I am out of range by the time I close the door at home.

Luckily for me, at work the probably of having a car stolen is probably 1 in 10 where at home it is closer to 1 in a million.

I have learned to listen for the beep as I am walking away and hit the button when I don't hear it.
Around here, we don't have vehicles stolen very often, but, now and then, kids will look for unlocked cars to steal stuff left in them.

Old 01-16-2020, 07:57 PM

Around here, we don't have vehicles stolen very often, but, now and then, kids will look for unlocked cars to steal stuff left in them.
That is how I describe the crime in my hometown. It is a great place to live. Learn to listen for the beep and all is good.

Quick Reply: Door locks sometimes don't lock