Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Door locks sometimes don't lock

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2020, 05:59 PM

I'm going to try out the "walking away too fast" theory. I wonder if that "passive" method of locking the doors has significantly less range than actually pushing a fob button which usually works well over 100'.

Old 01-18-2020, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Gerald Mucci
I'm going to try out the "walking away too fast" theory. I wonder if that "passive" method of locking the doors has significantly less range than actually pushing a fob button which usually works well over 100'.
Yes, it does. Otherwise, merely being in the vicinity of the vehicle (say within 100') would allow someone else to unlock the vehicle while you weren't watching.

Old 01-19-2020, 09:32 AM

I have had this problem on occasion. I've noticed it happen more often at gas stations and wondered if all the electrical wiring to the pumps was interfering somehow?

Old 02-27-2023, 08:18 AM

There could be several reasons why the doors of your car do not lock automatically sometimes. Here are a few possible explanations:
  1. Sensor malfunction: The automatic locking system of your car may have a sensor that detects when you leave the car and locks the doors accordingly. If this sensor is malfunctioning, the doors may not lock when you exit the car.
  2. Key fob battery: The automatic locking system of your car may be operated through a key fob. If the battery of the key fob is low or dead, it may not be able to send the signal to lock the doors.
  3. Faulty wiring: Faulty wiring in the automatic locking system can also prevent the doors from locking automatically.
  4. Settings issue: There could be an issue with the settings of your automatic locking system. You may want to check the user manual for your car or consult with<!--td {border: 1px solid #cccccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->locksmith Wandsworth to ensure the settings are configured correctly.

Last edited by VictorMet7; 03-02-2023 at 03:42 AM.
Old 02-27-2023, 08:59 AM

Door locks sometimes don't lock
And something simple might be at play.

In my 2016 CX-5, I've set the walk-away-doorlock function in the console. And if I'm too quick exiting the door then it frequently fails to recognize I've left and doesn't engage the walk-away function.

What solves this, 100% of the time, for me: close the door; stand by that door momentarily until I hear the "beep" of the system recognizing I'm outside the car; then, and only then, walk away. It always locks for me, this way.

Sure, it's a tad slower to move away from the car. But it eliminates the failure to auto-lock. Might well work with other vintages of CX-5 that also have the walk-away-autolock feature.

Old 02-28-2023, 09:48 AM

When did it become such an exhausting task to push the lock button on the key FOB?
Just saying

Last edited by Lobstah; 03-01-2023 at 07:27 AM.
Old 03-01-2023, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
When did it become such an exhausting task to push the lock button on the key FOB?
Just saying
Agreed. Sometimes "new and improved" is not always better. I personally use the button on the door or the fob to lock/unlock the car.

Old 03-10-2023, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by GAsierra
And something simple might be at play.

In my 2016 CX-5, I've set the walk-away-doorlock function in the console. And if I'm too quick exiting the door then it frequently fails to recognize I've left and doesn't engage the walk-away function.

What solves this, 100% of the time, for me: close the door; stand by that door momentarily until I hear the "beep" of the system recognizing I'm outside the car; then, and only then, walk away. It always locks for me, this way.

Sure, it's a tad slower to move away from the car. But it eliminates the failure to auto-lock. Might well work with other vintages of CX-5 that also have the walk-away-autolock feature.
I think it also depends on the direction I walk away or taking too long to leave the car. It works 90% of the time at home but 100% at work. (luckily work is critical and home is not a big deal.)

I learned to listen for the beep each time as I walk away.

A similar issue I have is if someone touches the other door, I have to use the fob. I can't use the touch sensor. I sound bad when I tell my wife not to touch my car.

Old 03-10-2023, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by jmartin
I think it also depends on the direction I walk away or taking too long to leave the car. It works 90% of the time at home but 100% at work. (luckily work is critical and home is not a big deal.)

I learned to listen for the beep each time as I walk away.

A similar issue I have is if someone touches the other door, I have to use the fob. I can't use the touch sensor. I sound bad when I tell my wife not to touch my car.
My wife waits until I touch the button on the door handle and then she pushes the one on her side resulting in locking the car again. She's almost fanatical about doing that. I think she's trying to drive me to drink.