Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Error Loading Contacts with iPhone XR

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2019, 01:54 PM
Question Error Loading Contacts with iPhone XR

Hi All,

I am new to the forums. Apologies if this issue was previously addressed. I have a 2018 CX-5 GT and an iPhone XR running the latest iOS software (13.3). I've had an annoying issue when turning on the car and my phone contacts (300 people) fail to completely load via Bluetooth in the infotainment (roughly 4 out of every 10 times). When it fails, it gets to about 20% complete, then stalls/freezes, and after 5 mins I get a message stating "Unable to load Contacts - unknown error". A couple of important things to note:

- In my iPhone Bluetooth Mazda profile, I have everything checked off and active (show notifications, sync contacts, phone favs, phone recents, all contacts).
- In the Mazda infotainment, I have given my phone full capabilities (audio/phone).
- I have tried numerous times deleting profiles out of both iPhone and infotainment to reacquaint the connection.
- I tried rebooting/restoring my iPhone from scratch.
- I've deleted strange characters/emoji's present in contacts names.
- At times when I get the "unable to load contacts" error message, my contacts and recent calls will still show as loaded (I'm assuming they only partially loaded).
- I have tried force restarting the infotainment to clear glitches (press and hold the Back button, the Nav button, and the Mute button for at least 10 seconds).
- When starting the car and the phone/infotainment begin their initial connection, the contacts loading process begin at different intervals (sometimes right away, other times several seconds later on in the overall process). When they begin loading right away at startup, that's when the contacts typically fail to load.
- I called my local dealer and they don't seem to have a concrete answer.

Has anyone had this issue? Any advice? I really appreciate the help in advance.

Thanks!

Old 11-12-2021, 01:19 AM
Default Contact upload error

I have the same problem.

I have tried disconnecting phone and reconnecting
disconnecting from Mazda and turning car off and then back in and connecting again - also tried disconnecting battery but no luck.

I have an iPhone 11 Pro Max - it was working until 3 weeks ago

Old 12-10-2021, 05:02 PM

I have a 2016 CX5 and am experiencing the same issues with an older LG V20. Aside from Contact Import not completing, the problem also seems to manifest itself in not being able read the music directory. ie, not able to click through my music with the forward buttons on the steering wheel. the problem is intermittent. Rebooting the entertainment system, then re-adding my phone seems to fix the problem for a few start-ups, then it occurs again. Similarly, it was working fine until about a month ago.

Anyone else had this same experience?

Old 12-21-2021, 08:44 AM
Default Contacts have to use iCloud

We had this problem with a 2021 Cx-5 gs My phone worked but my wife’s didn’t. The solution is to set your phone contacts to use iCloud. On your phone go into settings/iCloud/manage storage/contacts and enable the setting. This solved our problem.