Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Factory brakes needed to be replaced at 55,000km

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 12:19 PM
Default Factory brakes needed to be replaced at 55,000km

I own a 2017 Mazda CX-5 and just had to replace my front AND back brakes with only 55,000km on it. I drive the vehicle very lightly and mostly do highway driving. I was astounded, as were the mechanics who replaced the brakes, that this needed to be done so early. Now I'm stuck with a bill over $1,000.00. Disappointed to say the least in Mazda, I'd think twice before buying another Mazda in the future.

Old 10-11-2019, 01:26 PM

Did you buy the car new?

Old 10-11-2019, 01:36 PM

Yup, bought it brand new.

Old 10-11-2019, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon L
I own a 2017 Mazda CX-5 and just had to replace my front AND back brakes with only 55,000km on it. I drive the vehicle very lightly and mostly do highway driving. I was astounded, as were the mechanics who replaced the brakes, that this needed to be done so early. Now I'm stuck with a bill over $1,000.00. Disappointed to say the least in Mazda, I'd think twice before buying another Mazda in the future.
A few comments:
  • Getting 34,000 miles / 55,000 kilometers out of a set of brakes is by no means bad, even if you do a lot of highway driving. Yes, given your description of "very light and mostly highway" I can see how you might expect more, say, 80,000 kilometers tops, but really, that ain't bad.
  • Another thing to keep in mind is shops routinely see pads at roughly half-life and recommend a brake job. Why? If for no other reason than to pad their bank accounts and to lighten yours. Did you see the old pads when they were removed? If so, how much pad was left on them? My bet is if you weren't experiencing any braking issues and the shop simply recommended the brake job, you were well shy of actually needing the work to be performed.
  • FWIW, our 2016 Mazda3 with over 90,000 kilometers on the clock, and having been driven in a 50/50 urban/highway environment is still on factory brakes.

Old 10-11-2019, 03:24 PM

Yes I was definitely expecting around 80,000k at the least! Nah, the brakes were shot. They were metal on metal at the back and the front had 20% left unfortunately, whenever I applied the brakes they made a rumbling noise so that's why I had it taken in. I'm glad you've had better experience than I have but super unimpressed with the CX-5

Originally Posted by shipo
A few comments:
  • Getting 34,000 miles / 55,000 kilometers out of a set of brakes is by no means bad, even if you do a lot of highway driving. Yes, given your description of "very light and mostly highway" I can see how you might expect more, say, 80,000 kilometers tops, but really, that ain't bad.
  • Another thing to keep in mind is shops routinely see pads at roughly half-life and recommend a brake job. Why? If for no other reason than to pad their bank accounts and to lighten yours. Did you see the old pads when they were removed? If so, how much pad was left on them? My bet is if you weren't experiencing any braking issues and the shop simply recommended the brake job, you were well shy of actually needing the work to be performed.
  • FWIW, our 2016 Mazda3 with over 90,000 kilometers on the clock, and having been driven in a 50/50 urban/highway environment is still on factory brakes.

Old 10-11-2019, 04:53 PM

Are you the only driver of the car? My wife can go through a set of pads in half the mileage I can get from the same car. We are both "right foot gas, left foot brake" people when driving automatics. The difference is she RIDES THE BRAKE in between stops in heavy traffic from her phobia about rear ending someone in a sudden stop situation. It's taken me decades and many brake jobs to "brake" (no pun intended) her of this.
P.S. Factory brake pads for our cars are inexpensive from the Mazda parts dept. I just did all four wheels at 35,000mi (2/3'rds of that city) with just past 60% wear for under $140.00. Do your own brake work. It's not that difficult. Watch a couple of YouTube video's for some "canned experience" and go for it! I like the factory pads cause thy're NOT semi-metallic but all fiber. Great bite and stopping power but they wear fast. The rotors last forever with this type of pad though. This is not unique to Mazda brakes. Lifetime brake pads don't stop nearly as well and chew your rotors down after a while.

Last edited by 3carmonte; 10-13-2019 at 08:23 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:09 PM

55,000 km on the brake pads are not bad and I would not blame Mazda, can happen to any car you buy since they usually get parts from different vendors. My VW Golf had a more serious issue where the brake rotors warped and I was told that it was normal wear although I was still within factory warranty..

Old 10-13-2019, 05:52 PM

I have a 13 kilometer daily drive down a mountain road, I will be over joyed if I can get 55,000 kilometers out of the brakes on my new Signature. The car I traded in, a Renault Duster 4x4 typically got 30,00k out of the front brake pads on that road.

Last edited by Pitter; 10-13-2019 at 06:00 PM.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:04 PM

If you think 34k miles is bad on a CX-5, try 20k miles on a 2007 Audi Q7. Nothing unusual in the braking habits either. It cost me $1,200 to replace them even buying the parts myself. It needed new rotors in front and pads all around.

Old 12-21-2021, 07:32 AM
Default Mazda CX-5=garbage

i purchase my cx5 2020 grand touring brand new and it's been a nightmare. The Mazda dealer in Temecula ca won't put me in a loaner and
tells me they're 3 weeks booked. I think it's a prejudice issue. Anyways I've gone through my 3rd set of brakes. The rears went out before the fronts keep in mind. I also smell burning after a 30 min drive in typical California stop and go traffic.. I'm 100% positive the calipers are bad, or the pads are getting t stuck or can possibly be the electronic emergency brake. Possibly doesn't release all the way and when driving it's just eating through the pads. I also have a random slip for example turning into a parking lot I'll hear a slip thump as if my differential is slipping or something within the suspension or wheels is slipping. I can't pinpoint it. Oh my rear driver side wheel hub I can hear thing inside moving when I have the car jacked up and wheel off. I'll spin it with my hand slowly and feels like little metal ***** or particles are inside turning. The other side doesn't do that it spins nice. This car sucks. My first and last Mazda

Quick Reply: Factory brakes needed to be replaced at 55,000km