Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Factory Brand Wind Deflectors

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2023, 07:42 PM
Default Factory Brand Wind Deflectors

Anyone have the Mazda brand wind deflectors on a CX-5? Did they increase wind noise with windows up? I have heard some say they do, but they might have had off-brand ones that aren’t as close to the window as Mazda brand.

Old 02-11-2023, 09:36 AM

I have just installed Weathertech (good quality) ones on the front windows. First time out I thought there was more wind noise Very disappointed.

Old 02-11-2023, 11:28 AM

These are NOT wind deflectors to reduce noise. On most ALL Mazda's they WILL increase air noise around the windows specifically on the front drivers and passenger side windows. They cause turbulence which can be seen by taping 1/4 inch ribbon varying lengths of 2-6 inches and taping in different areas of the glass.
They do seem to work well to deflect rain and light snow.

Currently not one aftermarket company has any QUOTE..WIND DEFELCTORS offered that actually reduce the air nose around the front glass of any MAZDA new design from about 2010ish?

I would also read the ads carefully most are generically worded to include every make and model. They imply reduces wind noise.
On some vehicles manufactured in the 80's & 90's and older some application did help to some degree reduce wind noise

The db meter does not lie..... For a Mazda the turbulence is increase between the glass and the side mirror which increases the wind noise.

Last edited by Callisto; 02-11-2023 at 11:34 AM.
Old 02-11-2023, 11:41 AM

I was not expecting increased wind noise with the windows fully up.. I was hoping to crack the window down a bit and have less noise. I might just remove them and kiss goodbye to CAD$114. Grrr

Old 02-11-2023, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by theoldgoat
I was not expecting increased wind noise with the windows fully up.. I was hoping to crack the window down a bit and have less noise. I might just remove them and kiss goodbye to CAD$114. Grrr
Ya I have a pair sitting out in the garage myself. LOL I actually bought them for the looks but with my stereo system they muddled the highs and that was not worth the look on my Mazda. LOL
I even went to the extreme of thinking I could make a fiberglass piece that would look factory (taking the inside shape of the mirror) that would fit between the mirror and the glass to reduce the wind noise. But with folding mirror not only did it look bad but there was no real way to do it and retain the folding mirror. That project I did not handle well, after about 12 hours labor and material about 100 bucks I tossed it all in the garbage.....

Old 02-11-2023, 03:21 PM
Smile

Life can get complicated. But it keeps us busy. Smile

Old 02-12-2023, 09:37 PM

But what about the factory ones? Anyone have experience with those?
The reason I ask is because my CX-5 has noticeable wind noise from front side windows near side mirrors anytime above 45 mph.
I saw one guy on youtube with a hyundai had wind noise in the same place with dealer saying it was normal. He put on some rain deflectors and the wind noise was resolved from that area.
Just curious if it might stop what I have going on. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Old 02-13-2023, 07:38 AM

Simple physics, the only way to reduce/eliminate any wind noise is by not introducing into the "environment" in the first place.
The minute you create an opening in any moving vehicle you create turbulence, which results wind noise.
(PDF) The Effect of Turbulence on In-Cabin Wind Noise – a Comparison of Road and Wind Tunnel Results (researchgate.net)

Old 02-13-2023, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by jtpc2000
But what about the factory ones? Anyone have experience with those?
The reason I ask is because my CX-5 has noticeable wind noise from front side windows near side mirrors anytime above 45 mph.
I saw one guy on youtube with a hyundai had wind noise in the same place with dealer saying it was normal. He put on some rain deflectors and the wind noise was resolved from that area.
Just curious if it might stop what I have going on. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Let think about this... a Hyundai(not a MADA) and ytube( ). And there is no testing equipment, so you are going by bad audio and what you are hoping is accomplished by some use of the scientific method of problem solving? LOL

Old 02-13-2023, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
Simple physics, the only way to reduce/eliminate any wind noise is by not introducing into the "environment" in the first place.
The minute you create an opening in any moving vehicle you create turbulence, which results wind noise.
(PDF) The Effect of Turbulence on In-Cabin Wind Noise – a Comparison of Road and Wind Tunnel Results (researchgate.net)
Fantastic find my friend! Leave it to you to find supportive information. Now if you were an ASE I could have you fact find and proof read my articles before publications.

Quick Reply: Factory Brand Wind Deflectors