Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Failed firmware update - help needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2021, 12:53 PM
Default Failed firmware update - help needed

Goofed up on my firmware upgrade and could use some advice from those that have been there. I missed the step on installing the Fail Safe install and went straight to the Reinstallation package. The system gets to 2 percent and then recycles and does the same. Guess this is why they want the Fail Safe first - haha. Anyways, does anybody have some advise on how to get out of the mess that I have gotten myself into? Getting me back to my starting point is all I need.

Original FW was 59.00.502.N
Target FW is 70.00.100A

Last edited by Pyrat; 04-16-2021 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-17-2021, 09:25 AM

^ Anyone? I can't be the only one that has screwed this up.

Old 04-17-2021, 11:46 AM
BWJ

Try this, AT YOUR OWN RISK

YOUR '''INPUTS MUST BE PRECISE''' IF YOU HAVE A 'BLANK' or ' BRICKED' or Blind CMU....!

Put car into ACC (Accessory Mode, Amber Light).

Wait 1 minute for Connect (CMU) to settle even if you can not see Touch-Screen as it is Blank or Black (Blind).

PRESS "Home Button" above Commander **** ONCE.
TURN Silver Command Wheel 2 clicks to the Right.
PRESS Down on Commander Black **** ONCE.
SLIDE-PUSH move Commander **** 6 times to the Right.
TURN Silver Command Wheel 5 clicks to the Right.
TURN Silver Command Wheel 1 click to the Right.

Wait for System to Reboot....

This may rectify your problem or it may not ?

Old 04-17-2021, 05:03 PM

Yep. I already had tried that. Thanks for posting. Saw it posted somewhere else and tried it before posting here. No go. That is the same sequence you would use if you wanted to navigate to the reset option within the menus and you were unable to see the screen (broken display or blind). It's really no risk at all. Nevertheless, no luck. I have a replacement CMU ordered from a boneyard in Texas. $300 including shipping.

I'm open to more ideas though. I also tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. If I can kick it back to life I can return the used part and save myself the time of pulling the dash apart to replace the CMU.

Of course there is the question as to why I was upgrading the first place. Short story is I bought a new iPhone 12 and the address book would not transfer reliably. Phone works fine with other cars. Also other phones work fine with the CX-5 including an iPhone 11. So what I do? See if there is new firmware. I had an early production 2017 CX-5 and the firmware was way out of date. Hah, now it's out of date and very reliably dead. No one to blame other than myself.

Old 04-17-2021, 08:56 PM

Thanks. Tried this before I posted. No go. Bought a used replacement CMU for $300. Should be here within a couple weeks.

Old 08-03-2021, 01:37 AM
Default Same mistake

I did exactly same thing and stuck in loop.
Moreover, I and the car is in Japan and there is no Mazda dealer which can take care of CX-9 (not sold in Japan).

I tried to encode the chip by watching Youtube
It recovered to "update failure" screen, however no luck to go back to normal.

Did you find any route other than buying used module?

Old 08-06-2021, 03:06 PM

You can use any CMU from any model 2014-2019 they're identical in dimensions and uses same Connect firmware, just pay attention of dates on labels newer is better. Look in Japan Buyee or Yahoo auctions. Firmware you'll find here:
Mega

Old 08-06-2021, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mazdaon
You can use any CMU from any model 2014-2019 they're identical in dimensions and uses same Connect firmware, just pay attention of dates on labels newer is better. Look in Japan Buyee or Yahoo auctions. Firmware you'll find here:
Mega
Mazdaon,

Thanks a ton for your info. I bought a Japanese CX-5's CMU, see how it goes on US CX-9. If it's converted to Japanese version, that's super.
Otherwise, I will buy US used CMU on eBay later on.
I will update my try.

Old 08-11-2021, 10:45 AM

Ugh this makes me nervous. I have an iPhone 12 arriving tomorrow and I also have a 2017 CX-5. But I did just have my dealer upgrade my software so hopefully it will work. Will know soon enough. I don't care much about the address book as I don't use the car to make calls, but I do want the calls to come through the sound system when I'm driving. Anyway, if you're in the U.S., you can just ask them to do updates when you have your car serviced. No charge for that.

Old 09-14-2021, 03:21 PM

To everyone here,
I am wondering that from where you can get the files for upgrade firmware of infotainment unit to the latest version 70.0.xxx
If you could post the link, it would be much appreciated!

Thanks a bundle,

Long

Quick Reply: Failed firmware update - help needed