Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

First Mazda Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2019, 06:43 PM
Default First Mazda Questions

Hello,

I am buying my first new car and my first Mazda as well. I picked the CX-5 because it equals its competitors in the segment for safety and quality, and distinguishes itself for driving dynamics and style. I am going with the Touring model because I think it has the best value and I don't need the additional luxuries of the GT. I do have a few questions for veteran CX-5 owners...

1) I really like the Machine Grey Metallic paint, but looking on these forums it looks like Mazda has some issues with paint durability. Is the MGM a mistake? From what I have seen, most of the complaints are from the soul red, but it is unclear is MGM is just as bad. I don't expect the paint to remain showroom quality forever, but it would certainly be disheartening to find lots of chips every time I go to wash it. I also like the Eternal Blue Mica paint and would be open to some others as well if they are more durable. Is regular (proper) washing and waxing good enough to protect the paint from normal road use? If I have to resort to expensive paint protection coatings to keep the front fascia from looking chewed up, that is probably a deal breaker. I am below average in the miles I drive per year with mixed highway and city driving.

2) Will the leatherette hold up with routine leather/leatherette treatment? I have a fear that the seats are going to be very worn and cracked in 5-10 years devaluing the car significantly. I would prefer cloth or leather for durability.

3) Is there anything else I should be aware of before purchasing?

Thanks for all the help!

Old 10-27-2019, 02:57 PM

The Mazda leatherette is incredibly durable. I had it in my 15 Mazda3 that I transferred to my son at 100,000 miles. The seats are in perfect condition. Several people have commented that they thought I had leather in the car. I would take it over leather any day.

My wife’s leather in her Forester was well worn after 85,000 miles.

Old 10-27-2019, 06:30 PM

Thanks for the reply. Did you apply any treatment to the leatherette to keep it in good condition?

Old 10-27-2019, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by card54
Thanks for the reply. Did you apply any treatment to the leatherette to keep it in good condition?
No special care for the leatherette. I cleaned it with a Armor All cleaner and low gloss protection every year or so but I don’t think to was necessary.

One weird interior problem was the bottom of my steering wheel lost its finish. I have never heard of anyone with this problem.

As for the paint, I had the dark blue and I had far fewer paint chips then I would have expected. I would avoid the red with your desire to keep it perfect, but the other colors should be fine.

I now have a 19 black Mazda3 with the leatherette.

Old 10-28-2019, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by mazdaCPA
No special care for the leatherette. I cleaned it with a Armor All cleaner and low gloss protection every year or so but I don’t think to was necessary.

One weird interior problem was the bottom of my steering wheel lost its finish. I have never heard of anyone with this problem.

As for the paint, I had the dark blue and I had far fewer paint chips then I would have expected. I would avoid the red with your desire to keep it perfect, but the other colors should be fine.

I now have a 19 black Mazda3 with the leatherette.
I'm not sure how long you've had your CX-5, I have a 2016.5 I bought new, the finish started coming off my steering wheel. At that time a couple of people on the forum had the issue as well. The wheel was replaced under warranty, the finish on the replacement has held up for nearly three years now.

Old 10-28-2019, 04:55 PM

I have a 2018 Dark Blue CX-5, 1 1/2 years old now. Zero paint chips. I have leather so no experience with the leatherette. I love my CX-5. No complaints at all.

Old 10-28-2019, 08:37 PM

Should be picking mine up Wednesday. Thanks for the help!

Old 10-29-2019, 07:54 PM

Big congrats! With what option did you go?

Old 10-30-2019, 10:28 PM

I got the Touring in machine gray paint. Just got it earlier today and I'm very happy so far. Its hard to believe this is one of the lower trims as it is so nicely designed inside and out.

Last edited by card54; 10-30-2019 at 10:30 PM.
Old 10-31-2019, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by dlgunter
I have a 2018 Dark Blue CX-5, 1 1/2 years old now. Zero paint chips. I have leather so no experience with the leatherette. I love my CX-5. No complaints at all.
Interesting. Our 2019 had its first chip on the drivers side passenger door within 500 miles. Now there is a matching one on the passenger side door (we are still under 3k miles). The paint seems soft to me. We have MGM. I love the color, but if I wasn't leasing I would have had clear film put all over the car.

OP - congrats. I am sure you will love the CX-5. No matter what trim you buy it still has very nice appointments.

Quick Reply: First Mazda Questions