Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

First Oil Change - Oh! Oh! Oh! What a Feeling!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2022, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Dennis Wendt
The oil cooler on the turbo engines sits in front of the radiator, more or less. A small
radiator for the oil. Oil only flows through there. If I'm not mistaken, there is a thermostat
for the cooler. There is none on the NA engines.

My 2¢
Here is the Trans Fluid Cooler. The two hose connections showed on the cooler are for engine coolant to go in and come out.

Again. If I am wrong, pls correct me. I believe I am seeing it correctly but welcome correction. Thanks again, Reuben

First Oil Change - Oh! Oh! Oh! What a Feeling!-ac5uuw00000219.gif

Old 03-27-2022, 06:02 PM

See the description of how the Oil Cooler works, from the Service and Repair Manual. Language below picture.

Oil Cooler - Lubrication - Mazda CX-5 Service & Repair Manual
www.mcx5.org › oil_cooler-1555

Purpose, Function. The oil cooler routes engine oil and engine coolant through the interior and disperses the engine oil heat using the engine coolant.

Old 04-11-2022, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by reubenvabner
See the description of how the Oil Cooler works, from the Service and Repair Manual. Language below picture.

Oil Cooler - Lubrication - Mazda CX-5 Service & Repair Manual
www.mcx5.org › oil_cooler-1555

Purpose, Function. The oil cooler routes engine oil and engine coolant through the interior and disperses the engine oil heat using the engine coolant.
That makes no sense at all to me. I have never heard of an oil cooler that uses engine coolant. Got nothing for you.

Old 04-11-2022, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
That makes no sense at all to me. I have never heard of an oil cooler that uses engine coolant. Got nothing for you.
Thank you for having a look and for your reply.

It would seem this Manual was written in Japan as the English is not always 100% on target.

I would guess that where it says the coolant flow is "from water outlet", the coolant must be coming from where it exits the radiator and is as cool as it
is going to get. It would not make sense to route the coolant from its hottest point, where it has just cooled around the firing cylinders etc.

It would seem to me that this is, in a way, somewhat similar to the setup where the ATF runs through a separate section of the radiator, except here the separate section of the radiator is actually the little cooling Dunkin Donut behind the oil filter body.

I hope I am making some sense. The more adept are welcome to comment.

But clearly this is not your standard tube and fin add-on cooler. Thank you, Reuben

Old 04-11-2022, 11:30 AM

Those diagrams look to be for the TRANSMISSION oil cooler not the engine oil cooler.

My 2¢

Old 04-11-2022, 12:28 PM

Those diagrams look to be for the TRANSMISSION oil cooler not the engine oil cooler.

My 2¢
Yes. Agreed. Went back and forth on oil cooler and atf cooler. This diagram is atf cooler. My NA CX-5 has no engine oil cooler at all. If it did, would be the same arrangement, per the Svc. Manual. Seems engine oil cooler only for turbo boosted CX-5s.

Old 04-12-2022, 09:27 AM

The engine and the transmission are normally designed to run the most efficient between 195-210F . Those standard OEM coolers only marginally work under ideal engine operating conditions, they will not support * heavy loads, towing or spirited driving habits.
*If you entertain doing any of those it is highly advisable to get a quality cooler.

Old 04-12-2022, 09:29 AM

My 2¢
THEY SOMEWHAT WORK IN BOTH CAPASITIES.

That type has been used on other platforms since at least around 2000 that I can recall.