Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Flat tire & AWD

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2021, 06:56 PM
Default Flat tire & AWD

This has happened twice now and I'm not sure what is going on. The first time I got a flat tire and the car started cutting out and barely running. I limped to a parking lot and changed the tire and all was well. This weekend my lot tire pressure light came on while I was on the highway. Within a few seconds the car started bogging down and I could only drive about 50 mph. I even tried switching to manual shift mode and it would not come out of gear. I limped to a gas station and filled up one tire that was low (20 psi). Restarted the car and everything was fine. Any ideas on what is going on?

Old 02-10-2021, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by mhigh
This has happened twice now and I'm not sure what is going on. The first time I got a flat tire and the car started cutting out and barely running. I limped to a parking lot and changed the tire and all was well. This weekend my lot tire pressure light came on while I was on the highway. Within a few seconds the car started bogging down and I could only drive about 50 mph. I even tried switching to manual shift mode and it would not come out of gear. I limped to a gas station and filled up one tire that was low (20 psi). Restarted the car and everything was fine. Any ideas on what is going on?
mhigh,

I'm sorry I can't help with your question, I personally have never heard of an issue like this occurring but I'm sure you will get an answer. But I would suggest checking your tire/tires for a leak. I would also suggest keeping a tire inflator in your car.

Old 02-10-2021, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by bobm
mhigh,

I'm sorry I can't help with your question, I personally have never heard of an issue like this occurring but I'm sure you will get an answer. But I would suggest checking your tire/tires for a leak. I would also suggest keeping a tire inflator in your car.
This reply reminds me of those people on Amazon who answer the questions that others ask about a product with, 'I don't know'.

Am I doing the same thing? Almost, but not quite.

Last edited by Conrad 16.5; 02-11-2021 at 08:30 AM.
Old 02-10-2021, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Conrad 16.5
This reply reminds me of those people on Amazon who answer the questions that others ask about a product with, 'I don't know'.

Am I doing the same thing? Almost, but quite.
I don't know what you are doing, except trying to be snarky.

While I replied to the OP stating I did not know the direct answer to his question, I offered him two worthy suggestions - taken from my own driving experiences. I hope others can offer a specific answer - if not, perhaps the OP can call Mazda Service. But I do hope the OP will accept my (albeit limited) response in the spirit in which it was offered.

Old 02-10-2021, 09:51 AM

Really interesting behavior. It sounds like the car is going into some ECU governed limp mode, which I cannot easily find in the manual. The behavior is consistent with what you are supposed to do with a flat and temporary tire. Do not drive over 50 mph, long distances, etc.

On a separate note, the I also saw that they say if the front goes flat, never install a temporary on the front. Handling will be affected, you could lose control on ice or snow bound roads, Move a regular tire to the front and install the spare on the rear.

Makes sense why they say not to put a spare on the front, but I just never saw that instruction before.

Old 02-10-2021, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Chas2
Really interesting behavior. It sounds like the car is going into some ECU governed limp mode, which I cannot easily find in the manual. The behavior is consistent with what you are supposed to do with a flat and temporary tire. Do not drive over 50 mph, long distances, etc.

On a separate note, the I also saw that they say if the front goes flat, never install a temporary on the front. Handling will be affected, you could lose control on ice or snow bound roads, Move a regular tire to the front and install the spare on the rear.

Makes sense why they say not to put a spare on the front, but I just never saw that instruction before.
I have never heard of this happening before. A few years ago, my tire pressure light came on while driving, I stopped, checked all the tire pressures and added a little pressure to the one that needed it, but other than the warning light, the handling remained fine. So it is probably what you mentioned - that it is governed by the ECU, but it's worth a call to the dealer.

Interesting about the front flat and handling; I had no idea - but thanks for bring it to our attention.