Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Front sensing camera (FSC) error - '21 CX-5

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2024, 12:13 PM
Default Front sensing camera (FSC) error - '21 CX-5

Hello, I have a 2021 CX-5 and about a month ago got several errors on the dash related to the front sensing camera (the one just inside the windshield). The errors I'm getting are:
  • Front Camera Semsor System Malfunction
  • Forward Smart City Brake Support Malfunction
  • Smart Brake System malfunction
I took it to the dealer and got quoted $1,200 to replace the camera. After reading other posts I was hoping it was brake-related and not just purely the camera, but alas.

The car is just outside warranty and am not thrilled to spend that much to fix auxiliary functions given I drive like 6k miles a year. I thought perhaps I could just go on Ebay and buy another camera and replace the one I have, but when doing that (same model number) the error still persists. Any clue if this means the issue is not likely the camera or just that the new camera I put in has to be re-programmed for my car (which I assume the dealer has to do)? I'm looking for ways not to spend $1,200, but it seems like that may not be possible.

Any insight would be much appreciated!

Old 04-07-2024, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by ludology
Hello, I have a 2021 CX-5 and about a month ago got several errors on the dash related to the front sensing camera (the one just inside the windshield). The errors I'm getting are:
  • Front Camera Semsor System Malfunction
  • Forward Smart City Brake Support Malfunction
  • Smart Brake System malfunction
I took it to the dealer and got quoted $1,200 to replace the camera. After reading other posts I was hoping it was brake-related and not just purely the camera, but alas.

The car is just outside warranty and am not thrilled to spend that much to fix auxiliary functions given I drive like 6k miles a year. I thought perhaps I could just go on Ebay and buy another camera and replace the one I have, but when doing that (same model number) the error still persists. Any clue if this means the issue is not likely the camera or just that the new camera I put in has to be re-programmed for my car (which I assume the dealer has to do)? I'm looking for ways not to spend $1,200, but it seems like that may not be possible.

Any insight would be much appreciated!
I'd start with getting the battery tested thoroughly as when they're going bad, they can have electrical gremlins causing errors like that. I would then go look for other mechanics in the area that specialize in Japanese cars and get their opinion.

Old 09-26-2024, 02:48 PM
Default Forward sensing camera

Did you have an update on this? I’m having the same issue and was going to try to order a replacement on eBay too. Thanks!