Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Gas - regular, mid or premium?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2020, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Dennis Wendt
Hope he didn't hurt your leg when they pulled on it.
No one's gonna pull my leg but me.
But with all the penny pinching - especially at the mid level auto dealerships, that's getting worse, I'm not surprised at all to hear him say that. So yeah, I believe him. And I'll bet many higher end dealerships fill the cars up with regular, when premium is called for.
I asked for a Mazda key chain from my sales guy and he handed me 2 - unfortunately they are so cheap and ridiculous looking they are going in the trash. I mean I key ring attached with a 2" blue square plastic piece with MAZDA on it. I'd rather use a paper clip before carrying around this pos.

Old 12-07-2020, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by bobm
No one's gonna pull my leg but me.
But with all the penny pinching - especially at the mid level auto dealerships, that's getting worse, I'm not surprised at all to hear him say that. So yeah, I believe him. And I'll bet many higher end dealerships fill the cars up with regular, when premium is called for.
I asked for a Mazda key chain from my sales guy and he handed me 2 - unfortunately they are so cheap and ridiculous looking they are going in the trash. I mean I key ring attached with a 2" blue square plastic piece with MAZDA on it. I'd rather use a paper clip before carrying around this pos.
Jeep sent me a really nice key chain (well, really a nice logo piece with a quality leather strap attaching it to the ring). However, the Jeep has the equivalent of the AKE fob with remote start included and the nice key ring is sort of useless with that, so I put the key for the hitch lock on it and stuck it in the glove box.

Old 12-08-2020, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by bobm
Thank you!
Yes, I have the turbo engine. Am I to assume you do also?
Of course no one is making me use a particular grade of gas. I always follow the recommended grade on all my cars I ever had. Again, on my 3 Audi's - premium was recommended - on my wife's 2006 Outback it was regular. So, looks like if someone wants more power/higher performance use premium, if not save the coin and use regular. Is switching between the 2 grades something that in any way negatively affects the overall longevity - if that's' the correct word of the engine?
Nope, no turbo for me. As you can see from my signature I have a 2016.5 GT, the turbo wasn't available for that model year.

"So, looks like if someone wants more power/higher performance use premium, if not save the coin and use regular." Bingo! Exactly right.

'Is switching between the 2 grades something that in any way negatively affects the overall longevity - if that's' the correct word of the engine?" Nope, it won't hurt the engine at all as these motors are designed to use any octane. That's not true for all cars but for this one it is.

Old 12-08-2020, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Conrad 16.5
Nope, no turbo for me. As you can see from my signature I have a 2016.5 GT, the turbo wasn't available for that model year.

"So, looks like if someone wants more power/higher performance use premium, if not save the coin and use regular." Bingo! Exactly right.

'Is switching between the 2 grades something that in any way negatively affects the overall longevity - if that's' the correct word of the engine?" Nope, it won't hurt the engine at all as these motors are designed to use any octane. That's not true for all cars but for this one it is.
Thanks!