Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Gasoline odor outside vehicle, No codes

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2021, 09:08 AM
Unhappy Gasoline odor outside vehicle, No codes

Hi,
I have owned my CX5 for seven years with no problems until recently. The car has 40 K miles on it. Lately, I've been smelling a faint to moderate gasoline odor outside the car after I fill up or even after driving for a good number of miles. Often, the fuel gauge Tik mark is one or two marks down from full and I still smell it outside the car; never in it.

I checked the gas cap to ensure that it does click after fill up and hooked up an OBD-2 scanner and have found no codes so that much looks good. I popped the hood and tried sniffing around the injectors and fuel rail but smelled nothing. It seems to be concentrated more on the driver side from the front door to the rear of the vehicle where the fuel door is located. There are no drive-ability issues (no surging, black exhaust) with the car and I do not smell fuel on the oil dipstick either.

Anybody have any ideas or suggestions? I heard that there was a recall for some CX5's due to a filler neck issue but this recall does not apply to my VIN.

Fast forward to those interested. Took the CX-5 to Stokes Mazda in North Charleston SC to have the smell investigated. When I arrived at the dealership I smelled gasoline fumes standing by the driver side rear quarter panel. Again, the tank was down 2 tics from full. I explained to the service tech what was going on and commented to him that I had just smelled the fumes minutes earlier. He wrote it up and I waited for the diagnostics report.

About an hour later, I received a video stream on my phone from the tech (not in real time) who explained that they were unable to locate the source of the fumes. He mentioned performing a pressure test (smoke test) of the fuel system but found no leaks.

When I asked his manager about probing for the leak with a fuel leak detector he said the dealership didn't own one. I mentioned to him that maybe his dealership should invest in one but he commented that they don't get many fuel leak issues,
LOL. So I haven't gotten to the cause of the issue but at least the dealership didn't charge me anything. I purchased a new fuel cap from Mazda on the off chance that it will solve the problem. Nothing like throwing money (albeit a small amount) at the problem.

Last edited by paulbert; 11-23-2021 at 04:47 PM.