Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Gear stick vibrating in 6th gear (With video)

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2022, 12:06 PM
Default Gear stick vibrating in 6th gear (With video)

Hi!

I have a Mazda CX-5 2012 2.2D with 160000km/100k Miles.

I have read some threads about the same issue but I haven't been able to figure out the issue yet.

When shifting into 6th gear the gear stick will start to vibrate heavily during acceleration. If I shift in and out of the gear it will eventually stop vibrating completely (often about 10 tries or more) and will stay that way until I have to downshift again.
I have talked to a Mazda workshop and they say that the whole gearbox needs replacing which in Sweden is ****ing expensive. My questions are, does the gearbox really needs replacing or are there any other solutions, and what is causing the gear stick to vibrate?
If I do indeed need to replace the entire gearbox will any manual gearbox from a CX-5 do, model year, engine etc?

Video:

Old 09-14-2022, 03:10 PM

If the Mazda workshop says it's the gearbox, with that many miles then it probably is.
You can check for worn engine and transmission mounts that can cause vibration, but generally not under acceleration.
You can repair the gear box but not ALL the parts are replaceable.
A rebuilt gearbox or used one is probably your cheapest route.

Old 09-16-2022, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
If the Mazda workshop says it's the gearbox, with that many miles then it probably is.
You can check for worn engine and transmission mounts that can cause vibration, but generally not under acceleration.
You can repair the gear box but not ALL the parts are replaceable.
A rebuilt gearbox or used one is probably your cheapest route.
I have a hard time trusting stealerships because of previous experiences with Mazda workshops here, especially since I can't understand what exactly is causing these vibrations and why they disappear if I shift in and out enough times.

This is the lowest mileage car I've ever owned and a gearbox here is 2000$ + around 500$ in work.

Old 09-16-2022, 05:05 AM

Did you check your engine/transmission mounts yet?
If they are fine, I would suggest you find a mechanic/shop you can trust and get a second opinion.

Old 09-22-2022, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
Did you check your engine/transmission mounts yet?
If they are fine, I would suggest you find a mechanic/shop you can trust and get a second opinion.
No, I haven't yet, but I don't think that's the issue since I can get the gear working properly if I shift in and out enough times or just get lucky. Also, there is no vibration in any other gear.

Old 10-06-2022, 03:09 PM

Bumping

Old 10-07-2022, 05:11 PM

Only a small percentage of forum members have a diesel CX-5 with a manual transmission, so it is not surprising there have been only a limited number of responses. The cheapest solution would be bad motor mounts, but it isn’t clear what the problem is. The only input I have for the OP is to wish him good luck.

Old 04-22-2024, 08:14 AM

Does anyone know if a gearbox from a Cx-5 with the steering wheel on the right will fit a Cx-5 with the wheel on the left? My first thought is that they are identical but chat-gpt gave me other thoughts

Old 04-22-2024, 10:20 AM

I don't see why it wouldn't bolt up and work. If anyone else in the forum who's done it before could chime in that would be a huge help.

Old 04-22-2024, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Alexmed2002
I don't see why it wouldn't bolt up and work. If anyone else in the forum who's done it before could chime in that would be a huge help.
The scrapyard finally responded and they say that it's gonna fit, but I guess we will know for sure in 2-3 weeks and if it solved the issue

Quick Reply: Gear stick vibrating in 6th gear (With video)