Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

glove box no lock or light?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 10:22 PM
Default glove box no lock or light?

any idea why the 2013 does not have a locking glove box or even a light inside?

Old 06-16-2013, 11:07 PM

None, and even in GT model some other features of premium cars are missing.

(Such as power passenger seat, lighted door switches on passenger doors, subwoofer)

Old 06-17-2013, 10:26 AM

my only guess would be cost savings. When you sell tens of thousands of something every year $15 here and $10 there add up to a lot.

I hadn't even really noticed that either were missing but can see how both could be useful at times.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:22 AM

I notice a few of the features since I drive 2 other premium sport sedans on a frequent basis. Noticed are lack of subwoofer, lighting on door controls, rear console AC vents, power passenger seat. But the difference in MSRP is large, therefore the cost savings measures are understandable.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by CX-SV
I notice a few of the features since I drive 2 other premium sport sedans on a frequent basis. Noticed are lack of subwoofer, lighting on door controls, rear console AC vents, power passenger seat. But the difference in MSRP is large, therefore the cost savings measures are understandable.
The Mazda 3 has a sub, although I was in my friend's 3 with a sub, and I have to say my CX-5 GT with Bose sounds better. But it would even be that much better with a sub. The GT really should include one.

Most CUVs don't have a power passenger seat in this class. So I can live without that.

Rear AC vents seem 50/50, some have them. There are air vents under the seats, so the back seat gets some air. I assume I have to have the floor vents on though for them to work.

The Mazda 3 has foot well leds, not sure about door controls. Although adding LEDs to the interior would have been easy. I wish there were some LEDs to brighten up the interior. Most cars have something now.

One thing the GT should have is a padded arm rest on the center console. At least it could use the same soft material as the dash. Its not that comfortable. Doesn't really match the rest of the quality of the interior.

What ever team worked on the Interior it almost feels as if they were rushed and got to the end and weren't able to finish everything. It just feels incomplete.

Just seeing the Mazda 3 announcement, it does seem like they are acknowledging the issues with Mazda interiors and stepping up the game, I wonder if any of that will make it into the 2015 CX-5

Old 06-30-2013, 08:02 AM

I agree that passenger side options should be limited, I'd rather not pay for them. Really think CX-5 is a premium vehicle? Just glad we got a 2013 before Mazda caved into the press and put in a lower MPG engine with a few more horsepower. Love consistent 30mpg around town and 35 highway with auto/touring.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by iRizer
The Mazda 3 has a sub, although I was in my friend's 3 with a sub, and I have to say my CX-5 GT with Bose sounds better. But it would even be that much better with a sub. The GT really should include one.

Most CUVs don't have a power passenger seat in this class. So I can live without that.

Rear AC vents seem 50/50, some have them. There are air vents under the seats, so the back seat gets some air. I assume I have to have the floor vents on though for them to work.

The Mazda 3 has foot well leds, not sure about door controls. Although adding LEDs to the interior would have been easy. I wish there were some LEDs to brighten up the interior. Most cars have something now.

One thing the GT should have is a padded arm rest on the center console. At least it could use the same soft material as the dash. Its not that comfortable. Doesn't really match the rest of the quality of the interior.

What ever team worked on the Interior it almost feels as if they were rushed and got to the end and weren't able to finish everything. It just feels incomplete.

Just seeing the Mazda 3 announcement, it does seem like they are acknowledging the issues with Mazda interiors and stepping up the game, I wonder if any of that will make it into the 2015 CX-5
My comparisons were to other premium vehicles. Of course the price of CX-5 GT is much more reasonable than premium sport sedans and SUVs. The CX-5 interior doesn't feel rushed or incomplete to me and is highly competitive in this class. The CX-5 interior has been stepped up and has won at least one award already. I do hope to see some minor interior changes in model year 2015, but I expect the changes to be subtle.

The 3 is a separate topic, and it's current interior is not even close to CX-5 interior, so of course it needs major revamp and will get one.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:16 PM

While a locking glove box would have been nice, other features on the CX-5 more than make up for it. As for a light, I don't recall any new cars I've driven over the last 2 years having one.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:09 PM

Locking glove boxes are more useful on convertibles because the car is sometimes parked with top down.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:28 PM

One thing I hadn't thought of before is don't cars with locking glove boxes have a valet key that won't open the glove box? Otherwise if you lock it and then give the valet the key it doesn't do much good. So with the keyless start it would be awkward having a separate valet key. Yes I know you could slide the regular key out of the remote but then the valet wouldn't have a hook to hang the key with or spot to tag the key.