Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Going -1 or -2 on CX5 Signature Turbo, wheel/tire recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2023, 12:09 PM
Default Going -1 or -2 on CX5 Signature Turbo, wheel/tire recommendations

The stock tires on my 2021CX5 Signature Turbo need replacement.
I don't want to replace them with another set of the OEM Toyo 19". My main complaint about the Toyos is
the rough ride. Secondary issue is excessive road noise.

My local dealer said that the ride is mostly the 19" wheel, which have very little sidewall to absorb highway expansion joints,
potholes, etc.

Has anyone done a -1 (to 18") or -2 (to 17") wheel change? Which wheels and tires did you switch to?
Were there any issues with the brakes or suspension fitment with smaller wheels?

Old 06-21-2023, 12:37 PM

You can go with a 17 inch wheel. Check with Tire Rack for wheels that will fit in 17 inch. Then search the tire information to best suit the type of qualities you would like in a tire. Read the reviews and then talk to a sales rep at Tire Rack .
You can see what other members recommend and then compare to what you independently find.

Old 06-21-2023, 01:30 PM

While you can go to 17" wheel but rest assured, your current bad ride quality and noise is the fault of the OEM Toyo tires.
I (not just me) find them to be some of the worst OEM tires on any vehicle brand with them I've ever driven.
Any decent tire will improve your ride quality on the 19" wheel, and you'll be amazed with the ride you get if by some really decent tires.
As Calli said, Tire Rack will give some great choices for the type driving you do.

Old 06-21-2023, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
As Calli said, Tire Rack will give some great choices for the type driving you do.
Thanks to both of you.
I do 90% or more of my miles at 75 to 80 on Interstates. The rest is just local, going to the grocery store, getting gas etc.
I have disliked the ride quality of my CX5 from the start. And I rarely get a chance to have any fun driving to bring out the Zoom-Zoom.

Old 06-21-2023, 02:05 PM

Yes. Okem toyos poor.
Currently running on 235 70r16 on nonturbo.
great ride.
These are what im happy with for various reasons.
all terrain- Firestone Destination AT2
All season- michelon cc
Winter- nokian hakka

Will post reasons later
​​​​​​

Old 06-21-2023, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by fishtoprecords
Thanks to both of you.
I do 90% or more of my miles at 75 to 80 on Interstates. The rest is just local, going to the grocery store, getting gas etc.
I have disliked the ride quality of my CX5 from the start. And I rarely get a chance to have any fun driving to bring out the Zoom-Zoom.
If you go with the 17 you will get improved driver feedback so I would look at the wheels you are interested in. Your favorite may only be available in a 17?
Then look at the tire choices in the diameter wheel you are choosing to go with.

Old 06-21-2023, 08:41 PM

Keep the 19" rims and just get different tires. I drive two different CX-5s with both the 17" and 19" tires and the difference in ride quality is only a little bit of a difference.

Old 06-23-2023, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Alexmed2002
Keep the 19" rims and just get different tires. I drive two different CX-5s with both the 17" and 19" tires and the difference in ride quality is only a little bit of a difference.
This makes sense to me. Tires, I think, are the main factor and simplest to remedy. I had Toyo 23s on my 2016 GT and 36s on my 2021 Signature. Not a fan of either. I installed Michelin CC2s on the 2021 (at only 23K miles) after lengthy on line investigation. Really happy with the CC2s as snow performance was a priority. They also deliver on the Mazda driving experience I enjoy. If snow performance is not a concern, other types/brands may be a better choice.

Old 06-23-2023, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Kiwi75
This makes sense to me. Tires, I think, are the main factor and simplest to remedy. I had Toyo 23s on my 2016 GT and 36s on my 2021 Signature. Not a fan of either. I installed Michelin CC2s on the 2021 (at only 23K miles) after lengthy on line investigation. Really happy with the CC2s as snow performance was a priority. They also deliver on the Mazda driving experience I enjoy. If snow performance is not a concern, other types/brands may be a better choice.
I second the michelins cc. I've run them on other vehicles and their
overall performance is great for an all-season.
I still prefer running all terrains and the Firestone Destination AT2 overall.

The Firestone all seasons suck as bad as OEM toyos but they make great all terrains.

Last edited by kilroy22; 06-23-2023 at 07:55 PM.
Old 06-24-2023, 08:57 AM

Just keep in mind that tire recommendation from users are among the worst advise you can get. People don't get the advantage of "TRYING" different tires to compare with what they had so the recommendation highly limited .
When people buy new tires that are not the same as what they have naturally that new tire is going to out perform their tires they had!
And never compare ont model platform to another when deciding tires! You don't compare a Mustang to a Camaro, not do you compare a Mazda to anything else.

I try to always recommend to talk directly to the tire shop you are choosing to pick out your new tires from! At least they have experience whit many tires and customer feedback. But remember they will offer the "spiff" tire first and than what brand and model they like next, its only human nature.

You live in Utah ... so lots of tire sales choices. If local check out and talk to Firestone! For on line the best IMHO based on years of purchasing from them is The Tire Rack.

Quick Reply: Going -1 or -2 on CX5 Signature Turbo, wheel/tire recommendations